F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > From OEM suspension and brakes to.. what?
ARMA SPEED

03-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
From OEM suspension and brakes to.. what?

Hey guys:

As I am close to wrapping up the last of my performance upgrades on my 14 F32, I look at suspension as next. Disclaimer.. I don't NEED really to change anything, (but then as we mod our cars, how much is "need" anyway ) and also is my daily driver, not a track car etc.

Roughly 52k miles, with the NON adaptive M Sport Suspension, and stock brakes.

Random out of order first thoughts..

the Dinan springs and bump stops, but I hear the OEM shocks will wear and tear faster. (though I question being an inch lower might cause driveway issues for me)

Coil overs - too many choices here.. but obvious choice.

Brakes.. too many big brake kit choices.. just tons.

What about the rest? Sway bars? What am I missing?

What should I target considering I don't have big budget to just throw $2k at a pop kinda thing at the car very often.

Just hoping for some educated feedback of a good place to start incrementally on suspension and brakes.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I also suggest to consider coilovers instead of mixing and matching springs and shocks.

Few options:
- Price no object: Ohlins R&T
- Will not go wrong: Bilstein B16 PSS10
- Budget / yet more than satisfactory: KW Street Comfort

Personally, I prefer brakes to be the most over engineered component.

- Price no object: either AP Racing Radi-CAL or Brembo BBK. Both offer 6 pistons in the front, 4 pistons in the rear.
- Will not go wrong: BMW M Performance brakes (but still 4 pistons in the front) will be an upgrade from stock brakes
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I also suggest to consider coilovers instead of mixing and matching springs and shocks.

Few options:
- Price no object: Ohlins R&T
- Will not go wrong: Bilstein B16 PSS10
- Budget / yet more than satisfactory: KW Street Comfort

Personally, I prefer brakes to be the most over engineered component.

- Price no object: either AP Racing Radi-CAL or Brembo BBK. Both offer 6 pistons in the front, 4 pistons in the rear.
- Will not go wrong: BMW M Performance brakes (but still 4 pistons in the front) will be an upgrade from stock brakes

suspension, first 2 options, definitely. If you have xDrive then you should go PSS10.
brakes, totally agree with AP Racing. Second choice would be stoptech for me over brembo. budget option would be m perf brakes if you have the 1 piston crap but you have the 435i so it wouldn't be much of an upgrade for you so i'd look for a junkyard rear 2 piston caliper.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1