F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Slight metalic rattling from front right wheel after hitting potholes
GetBMWParts

03-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
mikegrzymala
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

Slight metalic rattling from front right wheel after hitting potholes

Hey guys I’m Mike new to the fourum. I tired looking around to see if anyone had a simliar issue but couldn’t find exactly what was happening to me. So I bought a 2013 328i late December and I have been loving it. Unfortunately up here in Toronto the potholes can get pretty bad and I do my best but I have hit a few nastry ones. No bubbles or cracked rims but it feels like something could snap off with some of these nasty ones. Anyways a few weeks ago I noticed a very faint rattling sound coming from the front right of the car. It is only audible over small bumps and when the road is uneven. It sounds like a pice of sheet metal rattling but it is a very faint sound. It’s been driving me crazy. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I plan on having my mechanic take a look next oil change but I figured I’d ask around first. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I have had an intermittent metallic tinging type noise coming from my passenger side front seat area for a while. Not always present. I almost never hit potholes, so don't believe its suspension related as you have indicated.

Not sure if we are experiencing the same issue or what.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrzymala View Post
Hey guys I’m Mike new to the fourum. I tired looking around to see if anyone had a simliar issue but couldn’t find exactly what was happening to me. So I bought a 2013 328i late December and I have been loving it. Unfortunately up here in Toronto the potholes can get pretty bad and I do my best but I have hit a few nastry ones. No bubbles or cracked rims but it feels like something could snap off with some of these nasty ones. Anyways a few weeks ago I noticed a very faint rattling sound coming from the front right of the car. It is only audible over small bumps and when the road is uneven. It sounds like a pice of sheet metal rattling but it is a very faint sound. It’s been driving me crazy. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I plan on having my mechanic take a look next oil change but I figured I’d ask around first. Thanks.
Check your wheel weights and lug nuts first. Then I would start looking at suspension components to make sure nothing is loose or broken. Maybe an exhaust heat shield bolt fell out?

That would make me crazy too!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I had the same symptom with my '07 Altima. It turned out to be a broken spring. Just the very top end of the spring broke off, so the ride wasn't affected enough to notice. That circular section of spring stayed wrapped around the strut, rattling every time I hit a bump. It took me two months to find it, as it wasn't visible until I jacked it up and pulled the wheel.
Appreciate 0