F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Manufactures, RRP and RFL
ARMA SPEED

03-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Manufactures, RRP and RFL

Why are manufactures just putting silly prices on the RRP that no one (or very few) will ever pay.

We quite like the new X2 but the 20d M Sport, with metallic paint is £38,080. We then really wanted the leather, pan roof and need memory seats which then sits it at £40k+ for what is small SUV pushing it into £310 year RFL. Why would anyone want to pay that on a X2?!

Manufactures really need to look at some realistic pricing that reflects better on the actual sold price. The X2 is even a new model, BMW could have priced it with the realistic view point people would have a few options on what I would call a pretty standard model to get it under the £40k band.
Appreciate 1
Quantox309.50
      03-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Why are manufactures just putting silly prices on the RRP that no one (or very few) will ever pay.

We quite like the new X2 but the 20d M Sport, with metallic paint is £38,080. We then really wanted the leather, pan roof and need memory seats which then sits it at £40k+ for what is small SUV pushing it into £310 year RFL. Why would anyone want to pay that on a X2?!

Manufactures really need to look at some realistic pricing that reflects better on the actual sold price. The X2 is even a new model, BMW could have priced it with the realistic view point people would have a few options on what I would call a pretty standard model to get it under the £40k band.
Easy... buy a brand that doesn't cost £40k when you add a few options.

Anyone who have been around BMW will know every extra comes at a premium, it's the BMW way. At least BMW cars are better value than they used to be, even at full RRP.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Anyone who have been around BMW will know every extra comes at a premium, it's the BMW way. At least BMW cars are better value than they used to be, even at full RRP.
I've not got a gripe about adding the extras or the cost of the extras, my issue is the RFL limit and the RRP. We'll not pay the RRP when we come to purchase, but as the list price says it's over £40k were subjected to a RFL increase of £310.

And all because I just want memory seats

Volvo have got it right, their XC40 range topper comes in at just under £40k and you don't need any options as it's got everything on it. But they must have had in mind that any higher RRP and you'd be subjected to a large increase in tax.
Appreciate 1
goodbyalfa1059.00
      03-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

It is bookers isn't it. It likely put some cars P11D out of reach at the u realistic RRP and also inhibits some on the £40k limit for tax.

However it is all about :-

THE PERCEPTION OF A BARGAIN
      03-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

I've not got a gripe about adding the extras or the cost of the extras, my issue is the RFL limit and the RRP. We'll not pay the RRP when we come to purchase, but as the list price says it's over £40k were subjected to a RFL increase of £310.

And all because I just want memory seats

Volvo have got it right, their XC40 range topper comes in at just under £40k and you don't need any options as it's got everything on it. But they must have had in mind that any higher RRP and you'd be subjected to a large increase in tax.
Hope you got 10% of the XC40 buddy? Was there any more possible?
      03-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hope you got 10% of the XC40 buddy? Was there any more possible?
Haven't had any figures as the Mrs doesn't want a Volvo, although I think the new XC ranges look pretty good.

If we did go for one, we'd probably lease the Volvo as they seem to be putting some pretty good deals out at the minute on the XC40.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17550.50
      03-08-2018, 03:26 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

XC40 all the way in that segment - dont let her choose a car on the strength of the badge rather than the car....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #8
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
It is bookers isn't it. It likely put some cars P11D out of reach at the u realistic RRP and also inhibits some on the £40k limit for tax.

However it is all about :-

THE PERCEPTION OF A BARGAIN
Agree totally. Makes Joe public think they got an amazing deal with say 3 to4k off list plus there will always be someone who pays near rrp.

They also know that being realistic if you are looking at that sort of price range cars you are unlikely to be put off to the point of not buying by the stupidly high road tax.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:08 AM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
XC40 all the way in that segment - dont let her choose a car on the strength of the badge rather than the car....
It really is quite splendid, if Mrs Just Chris still wants a high riding Crossover once I get me RRS this may be on the menu, if not I will be talking her into a Golf GTI
      03-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It isn't just on the badge, although that has some negativity with it. We're quite brand loyal to BMW, as many are on here. The dealers round here are excellent and when warranty work has been needed to be done it's been completed same day. We've had a half a steering rack replaced in one day (Diagnosis, ordering part and fitting) along with good will twice out of warranty on another car. Along with the fact someone who lives near works there so we just let him take it in when it needs out doing, all adds up more to than just picking a badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
They also know that being realistic if you are looking at that sort of price range cars you are unlikely to be put off to the point of not buying by the stupidly high road tax.
I have to disagree on that one, PCP allows people to getting into cars that they realistically wouldn't have been able to afford. So if you were coming from a 320d M Sport Auto with a few extras on, you'd have been paying £30 RFL annually, to then going £35pm more on top I don't think certain buyers would be able to afford. Over two cars that's another £70pm just in tax.

Quote:
It really is quite splendid, if Mrs Just Chris still wants a high riding Crossover once I get me RRS this may be on the menu, if not I will be talking her into a Golf GTI
Have you had a good look at one? Our local dealer hasn't had one in (They're are pants) so haven't had chance to have a good look or test drive. I've been told they're all ford engines which has put me off a bit, we've had a lot of issues in our commercial ford vans which has put me off Fords for good!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It isn't just on the badge, although that has some negativity with it. We're quite brand loyal to BMW, as many are on here. The dealers round here are excellent and when warranty work has been needed to be done it's been completed same day. We've had a half a steering rack replaced in one day (Diagnosis, ordering part and fitting) along with good will twice out of warranty on another car. Along with the fact someone who lives near works there so we just let him take it in when it needs out doing, all adds up more to than just picking a badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I have to disagree on that one, PCP allows people to getting into cars that they realistically wouldn't have been able to afford. So if you were coming from a 320d M Sport Auto with a few extras on, you'd have been paying £30 RFL annually, to then going £35pm more on top I don't think certain buyers would be able to afford. Over two cars that's another £70pm just in tax.

Quote:
Have you had a good look at one? Our local dealer hasn't had one in (They're are pants) so haven't had chance to have a good look or test drive. I've been told they're all ford engines which has put me off a bit, we've had a lot of issues in our commercial ford vans which has put me off Fords for good!
Yes. Chester had a first edition in.

Thoroughly impressive if say. It was more SUV like then I though and quite roomy for a compact, does that make sense? Quality was very very good. Just looked fresh and modern and really really well thought out.