E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Difference between Carly and Rheingold

03-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
filiplat
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 318i 2008

Difference between Carly and Rheingold

I posted here few times last week while i was researching what i should buy.

I narrowed my choice on Bimmergeeks cable + Rheingold and Carly Pro for BMW + Carly gen2 adapter. I chose carly pro because i want to have legitimate copy and it is easier for me to carry android tablet then notebook.

I just plan to do simple diagnosis for myself every now and then and i am not interested in coding so i have few questions

1. Can Carly Pro read same faults as Rheingold or is it weaker in that aspect? I know Rheingold is more detailed in explaining how to fix things, but i am interested if they have same "power" in reading fault codes and explaining them?

2. Does Carly Pro can read detailed values like INPA? If not, in which aspects is similar to INPA function?

I tried to google it, search on youtube, but i didnt find any decent full review

Nice regards, sorry for bothering, and I hope i will get answers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Carly can read all the faults ISTA/D can just without all the fancy diagnostic stuff. It's not as deep as INPA either but for most purposes you'll be fine.

I use both Carly and INPA - Carly is portable but INPA/NCS/Tool32 is powerful.

You can do a ton of easy, safe coding with Carly too.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Carly can read all the faults ISTA/D can just without all the fancy diagnostic stuff. It's not as deep as INPA either but for most purposes you'll be fine.

I use both Carly and INPA - Carly is portable but INPA/NCS/Tool32 is powerful.

You can do a ton of easy, safe coding with Carly too.
I had the INPA software and just didn't bother.
I'm an engineer and I didn't see the value add in me learning all the crap.
I bought Carly and couldn't be happier.
I also bought the xHP transmission flash instead of messing with the Alpina transmission flash.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Carly can run diagnostics and code. It can be installed only on tablets and phones. For what it does wireless connection is sufficient.

Inpa from BMW standard tools can only run diagnostics. It can’t code functions. I personally prefer ista-d.

Ncsexpert from BMW standard tools can only code functions. It can’t run diagnostics. With Nscdummy companion is very easy tool and error proof.

Ista-d aka rheingold can only run diagnostics and is full repair manual for all bmw group vehicles. It requires connection only for diagnostics. You can look up the manual without connecting to the car.

Ista-p is THE programming tool. It requires icom connection to run properly. Also requires battery maintainer. It can render the car inoperable if things with power go wrong. Never tried it personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:53 AM   #5
filiplat
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 318i 2008

Thank you all for answers. I appreciate it
Appreciate 0