BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > FABSPEED CATTED DP group buy EOI

03-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #1
shanil89
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

FABSPEED CATTED DP group buy EOI

Hi all

Would be keen to arrange a group buy for Fabspeed catted downpipes delivered to Australia. Just wanted to gauge interest - please let me know and I will be happy to lead if sufficient numbers.

Cheers
Shanil
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I'm interested, just need to check with service dept whether there would be implications for warranty (I'm there tomorrow & will ask).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Sadly I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and it arrived today else I'd definitely have been keen.

I'd be very interested to hear the position regarding warranty David.m , as this was not something I considered.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
shanil89
Australia
Rep

David please let me know how you go and I will contact my own BMW dealer here in Sydney. Hope it works well specka ... please let us know what you think after installation and a video clip would be great also.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      03-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

I'm intrigued as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I'm interested, just need to check with service dept whether there would be implications for warranty (I'm there tomorrow & will ask).
David, like the other folks said, please report back
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Interested in what the dealer says re warranty.

Seems cheaper than a MPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

and also what happens in the case of a CEL in relation to dealer response?
just doesnt seem worth it for me
      03-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
and also what happens in the case of a CEL in relation to dealer response?
just doesnt seem worth it for me
Dealer will never give you their blessings on anything triggering cel
However since its a hi flo cat it might not trigger cel.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ihp View Post
Dealer will never give you their blessings on anything triggering cel
However since its a hi flo cat it might not trigger cel.
check out the fabspeed thread, its rare, but there are reports of CEL trigger after 10/20k miles
      03-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanil89 View Post
David please let me know how you go and I will contact my own BMW dealer here in Sydney. Hope it works well specka ... please let us know what you think after installation and a video clip would be great also.
I will report back once the install is done for sure. I have MPE coming end of month and was going to get it all installed at once, but might do the DP first so can judge things incrementally.

Maybe the MPE wont even be worth it, given the lack of any performance gain and what I anticipate to be an amazing sound with the Fabspeed mated to the stock exhaust.
      03-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #11
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Got a reasonable & expected response from North Shore BMW, only affect on warranty would be any problems caused as a consequence of having the non-oem cat installed.

Quote:
check out the fabspeed thread, its rare, but there are reports of CEL trigger after 10/20k miles
I can remember reading about one case involving a Fabspeed but think that car may have had other mods/tune?(& I can't find it now).

I'm wanting a little boost in the exhaust note but want to keep the stock pipe/muffler, the Fabspeed seems to be the most reliable option (the extra HP I suppose won't go astray
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      03-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #12
shanil89
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Got a reasonable & expected response from North Shore BMW, only affect on warranty would be any problems caused as a consequence of having the non-oem cat installed.

Quote:
I can remember reading about one case involving a Fabspeed but think that car may have had other mods/tune?(& I can't find it now).

I'm wanting a little boost in the exhaust note but want to keep the stock pipe/muffler, the Fabspeed seems to be the most reliable option (the extra HP I suppose won't go astray
Thanks David that's very helpful!!
Appreciate 2
David.m431.00
Who?484.50
      03-09-2018, 02:17 AM   #13
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

shanil89, mate I'm out of the group buy as I've placed an order with BMR Autowerkes to supply/install the Fabspeed sportcat. The price they've given me is only $2-300 more (factoring in shipping/GST/duties) than if I supplied it for them to install (which they are happy to do). I'm happy to pay that bit extra for local warranty.

I had a couple of telephone conversations with Stuart from BMR and it certainly appears his business is worthy of the high praise I've read on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #14
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Hi Guys - update today is I got the Sportscat installed today byt the good people at Maranello Motorsports in Melbourne. Not a BMW workshop but absolute professionals and extremely happy with the service through purchase of the Fabspeed from the USA through to install.

The car sounds better, louder though not terribly. The note is better, sharper and pops from the exhaust are now more like cracks. Unfortunately the Eventuri sound is really doing my head in so detracting from the experience a bit.
I haven't been able to give it a proper thrashing as it was gridlock all over Melbourne tonight but will be doing so over the weekend.

Funnily enough as I left the workshop I pulled up alongside another BSM M2 and the poor bastard driving copped the Windscreen washer guys who insisted on pouring their shitty water on his windscreen and splashed all over the bonnet etc, and of course, a black car on hot dusty week in Melbourne will now need a wash. I had my money at the ready was going to pay the guy to NOT touch my car. If that was anyone on here, I feel for you mate!
Anyway I digress.

If youre considering the DP and are local I am happy to arrange a listen to help you make an informed decision.
      03-09-2018, 04:32 AM   #15
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
shanil89, mate I'm out of the group buy as I've placed an order with BMR Autowerkes to supply/install the Fabspeed sportcat. The price they've given me is only $2-300 more (factoring in shipping/GST/duties) than if I supplied it for them to install (which they are happy to do). I'm happy to pay that bit extra for local warranty.

I had a couple of telephone conversations with Stuart from BMR and it certainly appears his business is worthy of the high praise I've read on this forum.
would you mind sharing how much bmr is quoting for the part?
      03-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #16
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
would you mind sharing how much bmr is quoting for the part?
PM sent
Appreciate 1
Who?484.50
      03-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #17
SL1
Rep
Drives: M2

I've got the fabspeed catted DP coupled with a Dinan catback and can't get enough. The sound is perfect now - a lot more turbo spool noise and butt dyno says low down torque is more immediate. Under spirited driving the cracks are very loud and overall produces a much raspier howl

I got it from mike@x-ph.com, delivered in 7 days. Strangely the receipt in the box was under $1000 AUD?

If anyone is in Sydney and wants a listen before pulling the trigger let me know.

Re warranty and downpipes, its the tune to remove CEL that causes warranty issues. This is why I chose Fabspeed over Wagner which is preferred by local suppliers but have plenty of reports of CEL. All the cat does is block out smell and comply with emissions. BMW will struggle to draw any relation to any other part of the car bar the exhaust.
Appreciate 3
Who?484.50
BAN_M2C4154.50
      03-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1 View Post
I've got the fabspeed catted DP coupled with a Dinan catback and can't get enough. The sound is perfect now - a lot more turbo spool noise and butt dyno says low down torque is more immediate. Under spirited driving the cracks are very loud and overall produces a much raspier howl

I got it from mike@x-ph.com, delivered in 7 days. Strangely the receipt in the box was under $1000 AUD?

If anyone is in Sydney and wants a listen before pulling the trigger let me know.

Re warranty and downpipes, its the tune to remove CEL that causes warranty issues. This is why I chose Fabspeed over Wagner which is preferred by local suppliers but have plenty of reports of CEL. All the cat does is block out smell and comply with emissions. BMW will struggle to draw any relation to any other part of the car bar the exhaust.
Does it drone?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 02:57 AM   #19
SL1
Rep
Drives: M2

Not that I have noticed. Does not have the MPE drone at 3k rpm

That said I drive with the windows down in Sport or MDM 95% of the time
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50
      03-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #20
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:

Hi mate.. Can you let me know when you install, as would like to have a listen.. In fact I know Stuart from BMR well from my 1M days with Advan Performance..
Is the install at the Advan workshop Auburn?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #21
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Hi mate.. Can you let me know when you install, as would like to have a listen.. In fact I know Stuart from BMR well from my 1M days with Advan Performance..
Is the install at the Advan workshop Auburn?
Didn’t you get a M performance exhaust with your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #22
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Didn’t you get a M performance exhaust with your car?
Correct.. Not installed yet, as dealer wont get delivery until mid April.
Appreciate 0