F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catless downpipe questions
GetBMWParts

03-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
e3ham
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Catless downpipe questions

So I was thinking of getting a catted downpipe, but parts and installation is gonna run me around 1300$-1500$ here in Canada. That's why I started to look at catless downpipes and want to gather some info first.

First off, the CEL. I know all catless and a few catted downpipes make a CEL come on, is there anything I can do to fix that? I really don't want one coming up, just because it's really annoying. I heard you can either get a flash tune or get an 02 spacer. What's the cost of both?

Secondly, the smell. I heard both catted and catless give off a smell, but that it is waaaaaaay worse with catless, that sometimes you cam even smell it inside the car. On another thread, I believe someone told me the smell is only there for like the first week or so. Is that true? And if not, is there anything that can be done about the smell? Any way to get rid of the smell?

Finally, the sound. I know that a catless DP is gonna sound louder and more aggressive. What I'm worried about is if the car is gonna be too loud if I get a catless. I currently have a Remus axle back sports exhaust installed, and I'm worried that the car is always gonna be super loud and obnoxious even when I don't want it to.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3ham View Post
So I was thinking of getting a catted downpipe, but parts and installation is gonna run me around 1300$-1500$ here in Canada. That's why I started to look at catless downpipes and want to gather some info first.

First off, the CEL. I know all catless and a few catted downpipes make a CEL come on, is there anything I can do to fix that? I really don't want one coming up, just because it's really annoying. I heard you can either get a flash tune or get an 02 spacer. What's the cost of both?

Secondly, the smell. I heard both catted and catless give off a smell, but that it is waaaaaaay worse with catless, that sometimes you cam even smell it inside the car. On another thread, I believe someone told me the smell is only there for like the first week or so. Is that true? And if not, is there anything that can be done about the smell? Any way to get rid of the smell?

Finally, the sound. I know that a catless DP is gonna sound louder and more aggressive. What I'm worried about is if the car is gonna be too loud if I get a catless. I currently have a Remus axle back sports exhaust installed, and I'm worried that the car is always gonna be super loud and obnoxious even when I don't want it to.
o2 spacer $5 or tune $700+

nothing you can do about the catless smell, i think you just get used to it. personally i wouldn't like it nor get used to it and it's shitty for the environment. but what's one more car with catless, right?

catless will be loud. obnoxious? to me, yes, but that's subjective. it can get raspy but since you're mid-pipe is stock(resonated) it should be good.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3ham View Post

I'll provide a quick summary of all your questions, but I will say that these questions have all come up in the past month.

For your CEL, get a flash tune is my vote. Not only are you going to get the most you can out of your DP, but you can get rid of the CEL. O2 spacers are known to work, but it's unknown how long it'll work.

The smell of a catless will subside after a couple weeks. When you first get the DP installed, you will smell it with the windows down and at a complete stop. Windows up, no smell. After a couple weeks, the smell will mainly only be directly behind the car. Nothing to fret about.

Lastly, for the sound, depends on your setup. So long as you have a resonator, it's going to sound beautiful. You can see my setup in my signature and I love it. Medium sound when driving around, but a little exotic on WOT.

If you want specific details, I implore that you search this division of the forum and read the threads that are on here. They have a plethora of knowledge and save some of our fingertips.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0