F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Keep Safe, Drive Safe
Extreme Powerhouse

03-02-2018, 01:34 AM   #1
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Keep Safe, Drive Safe

With the various major roads around the country blocked and motorists stranded, I hope all forum members are safe and cosy, and have not had (or are having) the misfortune of being standard.

Spent a few hours last night picking up stranded neighbours around the area.

One of my friends / neighbour is an Ex RAF Met Office bloke and reckons a lot is to do with this being different Snow to what we normally get.

Apparently, our normal stuff has larger flakes and lies on ground differently, the stuff most of UK has now is fine powdery stuff and behaves totally differently.

This was after a few beers and wines lol.

Informed my Team to work from home today, no point people struggling to get to work and adding to the traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 01:43 AM   #2
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
I hope all forum members are safe and cosy, and have not had (or are having) the misfortune of being standard.
Don't think I've ever been standard. Always go for a few extras..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

XDrive and summer tyres aren't such a bad combo after all!
      03-02-2018, 03:32 AM   #4
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Other than emergency services and vital occupations anyone going out in this is just stupid and potentially selfish unless very experienced and in a suitable vehicle.

Even then why would you?

Last edited by JLR1969; 03-02-2018 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 2
LobB5109.00
      03-02-2018, 04:18 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Other than emergency services and vital occupations anyone going out in this is just stupid and potentially selfish unless very experienced and in a suitable vehicle.

Even then why would you?
Agreed - the CEO shared some restaurant marketing stuff yesterday from Jamie's Italian amongst others, encouraging people to eat with them on school days. He didn't seem to appreciate me saying it was irresponsible to encourage people to travel in the current conditions (although I did add excluding 'central London where tube not affected - as that is where we are predominantly)

My SQ5 will stay on the drive till tomorrow at earliest...
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      03-02-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
VR 46 Fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
Snowed in. Still in bed
With Mrs.Buttocks?
Appreciate 2
DougMcL787.00
LobB5109.00
      03-02-2018, 04:30 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

M2 and MPSS no problem North Wales to Manchester most of this week....so far
      03-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #8
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43255368

Anyone seen this? "My training kicked in"

Am I the only one thinking she was going way way too fast. Should be done for dangerous driving not being hailed a hero!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcuprar View Post

Am I the only one thinking she was going way way too fast. Should be done for dangerous driving not being hailed a hero!
What was the idiot doing in the other car anyway?
      03-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #10
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
Quote:

What was the idiot doing in the other car anyway?
They were sliding sideways out of control.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #11
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Not sure if the bus was going too fast, I think dash cams always make traffic look like they're going fast compared to real life. No idea what the car was doing though, it appeared to be steering to the right.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
My biggest gripe driving in this weather due to having to provide medical services is the no of numpties I’ve met on the road who seem to have lost all common sense.

Then there’s the SUVs where the owner thinks they’ve got AWD but in reality they haven’t not to mention the 4x4 who think they’re invincible albeit on summer tyres.

What’s people’s thoughts on winters becoming compulsory?
      03-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

The bus was quite a good distance away when the car moved across into her lane, so she either wasn’t concentrating or she was going much too quickly for the conditions. Perhaps both. From that point on she reacted well, but that doesn’t excuse the other mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
My biggest gripe driving in this weather due to having to provide medical services is the no of numpties I’ve met on the road who seem to have lost all common sense.

Then there’s the SUVs where the owner thinks they’ve got AWD but in reality they haven’t not to mention the 4x4 who think they’re invincible albeit on summer tyres.

What’s people’s thoughts on winters becoming compulsory?
In two minds tbh.

I have had zero issues since Feb 2010 on summers.

The majority of roads are blocked due to a hgvs or just sheer traffic density.
Even with winters on, the majority of drivers have very limited exposure to snow to actually learn how to drive in snow.

We have far more people killed in fog or rain than snow or over the winter months.

Why should Doris up the road be made to pay for Winters, when Gabby up the road drives over the limit no matter the weather, speeding in low visibility, pouring rain and has budget near the limit tyres.

Whereas Doris, has decent tyres plenty tread, does not go out if it's snowing etc.

In the UK it's the people that are the weak link not so much the tyres, we just completely go to pieces at first sign of snow.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
In two minds tbh.

I have had zero issues since Feb 2010 on summers.

The majority of roads are blocked due to a hgvs or just sheer traffic density.
Even with winters on, the majority of drivers have very limited exposure to snow to actually learn how to drive in snow.

We have far more people killed in fog or rain than snow or over the winter months.

Why should Doris up the road be made to pay for Winters, when Gabby up the road drives over the limit no matter the weather, speeding in low visibility, pouring rain and has budget near the limit tyres.

Whereas Doris, has decent tyres plenty tread, does not go out if it's snowing etc.

In the UK it's the people that are the weak link not so much the tyres, we just completely go to pieces at first sign of snow.
It is a difficult one to form decisive opinions on, as you say. We are in a time when many just have no idea how to apply common sense to driving, no matter what the conditions. So many are not car savvy at all, just want to be cocooned from any outside conditions and influences. I despair at some of the stupidity even in good conditions, let alone when the weather deteriorates. The speed some drive in heavy rain with little or no visibility, illustrates there is some huge flaws in understanding. Many folks just don't want any inconvenience, won't even slow down or extend the braking distances. To drive on snow, every driver really needs to get experience. How many are really interested in the craft of driving? How many even understand that tyre choice can make a difference, that 4X4 vehicles are not invincible?

Even if we are in the best car setups, we are at risk, we may have a greater safety envelope around us, but we are still vulnerable unless every vehicle is so equipped and drivers more experienced. That requires some serious training and education.

Because of the way we get these weather 'pinch points' we don't have a winter pattern which would dictate cold weather/winter tyres are a normal part of winter driving. A traffic officer interviewed on Scottish news a couple of days back stated "even a 4X4 on winter tyres isn't going anywhere", due to the mayhem created by the congestion and lorries blocking the roads.

I suppose we have to accept the UK is willing to come to a halt, even on virtually no snow. Accept there will be thousands more accidents over a snow period.

Closs-climate tyres are one possible solution, but not the complete answer.
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It is a difficult one to form decisive opinions on, as you say. We are in a time when many just have no idea how to apply common sense to driving, no matter what the conditions. So many are not car savvy at all, just want to be cocooned from any outside conditions and influences. I despair at some of the stupidity even in good conditions, let alone when the weather deteriorates. The speed some drive in heavy rain with little or no visibility, illustrates there is some huge flaws in understanding. Many folks just don't want any inconvenience, won't even slow down or extend the braking distances. To drive on snow, every driver really needs to get experience. How many are really interested in the craft of driving? How many even understand that tyre choice can make a difference, that 4X4 vehicles are not invincible?

Even if we are in the best car setups, we are at risk, we may have a greater safety envelope around us, but we are still vulnerable unless every vehicle is so equipped and drivers more experienced. That requires some serious training and education.

Because of the way we get these weather 'pinch points' we don't have a winter pattern which would dictate cold weather/winter tyres are a normal part of winter driving. A traffic officer interviewed on Scottish news a couple of days back stated "even a 4X4 on winter tyres isn't going anywhere", due to the mayhem created by the congestion and lorries blocking the roads.

I suppose we have to accept the UK is willing to come to a halt, even on virtually no snow. Accept there will be thousands more accidents over a snow period.

Closs-climate tyres are one possible solution, but not the complete answer.
Totally agree, also if it was to be enforced it would likely be people in Scotland having it made compulsory with it not being compulsory in Northumberland.

I think this batch / type of snow is not our normal stuff and lots of large drifts.

One of doctors that works with my wife (and previous neighbour) is German and thinks it hysterical how us Brits behave at first drop of snow.

Admittedly I am on winters next year as my wife's practice is paying for them.

We struggle to enforce existing driving laws and driving common sense, adding winters in to the mix would not get much 'traction'.

Are winters compulsory on ambulances, police cars, doctors emergency cars, etc?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

It is definitely different snow to normal. Is this the type of snow skiing types call powder?? Because that's what it's like.

To be there has been bugger all really from Warrington to Liverpool so not had much bother, but I'd had to go to north manchester then it seems a whole lot worse.

Don't do snow or cold it can bugger off, went to Tenerife two weeks ago and it was like good English summer, might have to go every year!
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 11:33 PM   #18
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I counted 5 accidents in one day. Three at non traffic light roundabouts. One land rover flip over. One guy wrap his Mercedes around a telephone pole. All of them looked like they were driving as if it was summer. None of them kept sufficient distance or braked gently. I nearly had one when a guy behind was driving like an idiot and couldn't brake in time. I changed my route as I didn't want to be on any road he was on. I'm sorry to say but in London we have too many uninsured drivers who haven't passed their test. Too many inexperienced drivers too. Some have never driven in heavy rain so do stupid things like fog lights on, driving too fast or, too slow. I think the government needs to clamp down. Mind you it is beautiful seeing the Police sting operations. There is a one way road around a bend and I have seen 20 cars at a time. Some even get towed immediately. Anyhow, never thought I would find myself giving details out as a witness three times in one day.

The winter driving tips from state troopers on some USA state sites are great. Even videos on skid control and how to take roundabouts in snow/ice. They encourage drivers to go to empty parking lots and practice skidding to get used to their car or at least understand how to control it. The people I work with don't have a clue what to do in a skid situation. One girl said she closed her eyes. Another guy said he emergency braked for a light skid. Yet all of these fools I work with think they are good drivers. Confidence is the problem. Over confident cocky spotty teenagers who are young, dumb and, full of cum. No respect for the road or weather conditions.
Appreciate 0