F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Boiler is choice
proTUNING Freaks

02-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Boiler is choice

Always gone for WBosch in the past but other offer longer warranty periods, Ideal for example offer 7 years compared WB 5 years.

Efficiency seems similar as do outputs.

Any thoughts?

Also would an internal pipe run from meter to boiler lose pressure? With 28mm copper pipe. How does the length of pipe and number of bends reduce the pressure?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
Always gone for WBosch in the past but other offer longer warranty periods, Ideal for example offer 7 years compared WB 5 years.

Any thoughts?

Also would an internal pipe run from meter to boiler lose pressure? With 28mm copper pipe. How does the length of pipe and number of bends reduce the pressure?
We've had an Ideal boiler for coming up to 4 years. Got a 7 year warranty back then too. So, if they're still offering the same, they can't be breaking much.

My plumber recommended it and it hasn't missed a beat (touch wood). He hasn't even serviced it, said not to bother. He's a friend of mine and says it's unnecessary for the first few years, and if anything goes wrong he'll back date the service records.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Local plumbing company install and recommend ideal. When round for a quote, I asked the plumber what he had in his house. he said sheepishly, Worcester Bosch as they're the best! doh!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Stay away from Ideal, they aren't great and their engineers aren't much better. Personally I don't like Worcester Bosch as they're full of plastic parts, which fail after about 5 years and start leaking, although I can't fault their engineers and customer service. I think you get a larger warranty with Worcester if you fit their system filter and controls, but as we don't fit them I don't really know.

We fit Vaillants, and at the moment if fitted by an Advance installer you will get up to 7 years on the EcoFit and EcoTec Plus range, or for £180 extra you can take this to 10 years, IMO is a no brainer.

An internal pipe run shouldn't be an issue if sized correctly, all depends on what type of boiler and size you are going for. We never do any external gas runs as they look awful so always run internally. A elbow is the equivalent of adding on 0.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
My plumber recommended it and it hasn't missed a beat (touch wood). He hasn't even serviced it, said not to bother. He's a friend of mine and says it's unnecessary for the first few years, and if anything goes wrong he'll back date the service records.
It's important that they are regularly serviced, they have a gas to air ratio which if it's incorrect due to poor maintenance can cause major problems down the line. They have burner seals and other important components that can deteriorate that should be inspected on a annual basis. Only the other week we had to replace a boiler that was only 8 years old due to not being serviced, had it been done then she wouldn't have needed a new boiler.

Last edited by EvilDrPorkChop; 02-27-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00
      02-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Vaillant.

We've had our ecoTEC for 7 years so far and it's only needed a replacement pressure sensor which was quick and cheap to replace by a local heating engineer (who we know).

Our old Potterton had gone through two PCBs in the same timeframe.

My mum has a WB combi in her bungalow and the heating system needs regular pressure top-ups. That's enough to make it a no from me.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
We've had an Ideal boiler for coming up to 4 years. Got a 7 year warranty back then too. So, if they're still offering the same, they can't be breaking much.

Kind of makes being Corgi Registered a joke.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Cheers for feedback, when the whole house job was quoted it was quoted with WB but they have mentioned the pressure at the boiler might not be good enough for the WB and that a baxi or ideal would be more suited if the pressure is lower... would that make sense???

or is just a way to fit a cheap boiler? I was being drawn into the ideal with a 7 year warranty on it, but some comments above have put me off now.

I wouldn't imagine the pipe run would be more than 25-30 metres inc elbows with the 28mm pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

If you get a Worcester Bosch boiler installed by one of their registered installers and serviced regularly you get a 10 year warranty with it.
Appreciate 2
ajfoggy1517.00
Quantox308.50
      02-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I was thinking that, makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Maybe, I know nothing about boilers. He said for first few years nothing would really wear or break, so start servicing after 4 or 5 years.

He wasn't advocating never servicing them. Like I said, he's a friend of mine. He said that in his own experience when a boiler is serviced in first couple of years I'd just be paying him to look at it for half an hour. No reason to lie, I was happy to pay for servicing.
Appreciate 2
ajfoggy1517.00
JLR19691882.00
      02-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe, I know nothing about boilers. He said for first few years nothing would really wear or break, so start servicing after 4 or 5 years.

He wasn't advocating never servicing them. Like I said, he's a friend of mine. He said that in his own experience when a boiler is serviced in first couple of years I'd just be paying him to look at it for half an hour. No reason to lie, I was happy to pay for servicing.
Too be fair he is probably right.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
If you get a Worcester Bosch boiler installed by one of their registered installers and serviced regularly you get a 10 year warranty with it.
This is a good advice.

My company predominantly installs amd maintains commercial boilers but if we do carry out a domestic job we always fit Worcester were possible.

If fitting the boiler on an old system, its particualry important the installers thoroughly power flush the heating system and fit a magnetic dirt filter (Fernox TF1s are good). The will also need to dose the system with corrosion inhibitor on completion.

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/fernox-tf1-compact-filter-93-32269
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Cheers for feedback, when the whole house job was quoted it was quoted with WB but they have mentioned the pressure at the boiler might not be good enough for the WB and that a baxi or ideal would be more suited if the pressure is lower... would that make sense???

or is just a way to fit a cheap boiler? I was being drawn into the ideal with a 7 year warranty on it, but some comments above have put me off now.

I wouldn't imagine the pipe run would be more than 25-30 metres inc elbows with the 28mm pipe.
I'm guessing it's a combi, and did you know the KW output?

A 28mm gas pipe should be more than adequate for most combi boilers over a long run (22mm you can go a long way!), however without knowing exact measurements it's hard to say.

Different manufactures allow you different tolerances on pressure drop at the inlet, Worcester do have a higher reading at 18mbar. Some other manufactures will allow you lower than this.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

You should service a boiler annually to check at the very least it’s functioning correctly. A fault could be fatal.
I’d also reckon, if something is going to break, its quite likely to happen in the running in period so a first service imho is vital.

As for which boiler, unless the exact model is still available many years on, warranty is all you can pin your hopes on.
My Potterton is still going strong at 27 years old. Now watch me freeze my a55 off next week when it dies....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

My boiler is made by Hoval. Never let us down. And it came with a 10 yr warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #16
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

We don't have a boiler but when I was considering getting one, I was very much looking at Viessmann. When I was looking you could get something like a 20 year warranty for £250 and their boilers were full of intelligent tech and had stainless steel heat exchangers. They seemed to be the Miele of boilers on the face of it.

I have zero experience however.
      02-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #17
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
I'm guessing it's a combi, and did you know the KW output?

A 28mm gas pipe should be more than adequate for most combi boilers over a long run (22mm you can go a long way!), however without knowing exact measurements it's hard to say.

Different manufactures allow you different tolerances on pressure drop at the inlet, Worcester do have a higher reading at 18mbar. Some other manufactures will allow you lower than this.
Yep combi, Ideal Logic+ 35 (35.3kw) or WB 34CDI (34kw)

I'm guess that 35kw is equal to maximum watts it can output to the radiators and I have calculated the rads roughly to 20000 or 20kw, if my thinking is right it should be good enough???
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Yep combi, Ideal Logic+ 35 (35.3kw) or WB 34CDI (34kw)

I'm guess that 35kw is equal to maximum watts it can output to the radiators and I have calculated the rads roughly to 20000 or 20kw, if my thinking is right it should be good enough???

Now realised how mis-leading all these companies are stating hot water kw and not central heating kw in the product names, it's a minefield to work out what you need and what you are getting!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:46 PM   #19
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Now realised how mis-leading all these companies are stating hot water kw and not central heating kw in the product names, it's a minefield to work out what you need and what you are getting!!
If you have a 4-5 bedroom house and going combi for heating and hot water you will need a 35kW boiler.

Worctester on their website have an interactive guide to selecting your boiler which is easy to use.

For a 35kW boiler you will typically need a 28mm gas supply from the meter. Possibly even bigger if its a long run from the meter and serving other gas appliances i.e. gas fires or gas hobs. However, 28mm would typically suffice.

How far away is you gas meter from your boiler?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 12:22 AM   #20
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Quote:
If you have a 4-5 bedroom house and going combi for heating and hot water you will need a 35kW boiler.

Worctester on their website have an interactive guide to selecting your boiler which is easy to use.

For a 35kW boiler you will typically need a 28mm gas supply from the meter. Possibly even bigger if its a long run from the meter and serving other gas appliances i.e. gas fires or gas hobs. However, 28mm would typically suffice.

How far away is you gas meter from your boiler?
I reckon it's about 25-30 meters. Maybe 35 tops if you take into account the .5s for all elbows.

I have counted 19 radiators on the plans. Three being towels radiators but they'll be the source of heat for the rooms so need to be decent.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #21
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I reckon it's about 25-30 meters. Maybe 35 tops if you take into account the .5s for all elbows.

I have counted 19 radiators on the plans. Three being towels radiators but they'll be the source of heat for the rooms so need to be decent.
That is quite a long run. Does this gas serve any other gas appliances. i.e. gas hobs or fire places?

Is it 28mm now or is the companies pricing the install telling you the existing needs to be increased to 28mm?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 03:52 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I used to work for the company that make Vaillant and Glowworm. A bit out of touch these days but it was the case that the different models were built in different factories depending on type and not brand - so a GW from one factory may be better built than a Vaillant from a different factory....

I have a Worcester Bosch...
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1517.00