F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake piston fell out
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Brake piston fell out

So last night I was doing some work on my rear right hand disc (it's been rubbing making a metal grinding noise) and accidentally pumped the brake pedal too hard, which unfortunately made one of the pistons pop out.

2 hours later at trying to fix it, brake fluid everywhere and sitting in the pouring rain I called bmw assist for a recovery to flat bed it to a dealer.

What's the likely hood that bmw will just want to replace the entire caliper? I'm really hoping they can replace the seals and refit the piston.. I'm just slightly worried by what they'll end up billing me
      02-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Normally brake caliper can be refurbished. Have done that a few times in the old days.
You should open the bleeding screw when putting the piston back in, otherwise it can be hard to push the piston back in because of the "sealed in" air/fluid.

Just don't put anything else onto the brake caliper o-ring than original brake fluid. Any other oil, grease or whatsoever will ruin the rubber material and end up in a complete brake loss!
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
XCRN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 1995 525i

In addition to what oceanview said, sometimes I have needed to use a large C-clamp to get the piston back in and lube the piston and bore very liberaly with brake fluid.

But since it is at the dealer now, my guess is they will do a replacement caliper instead because it would be easier for them to do that and is probably a bit more liability than they are willing for them to rebuild the caliper instead.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

So for a new caliper they want just over £900.

Or a repair would be:
Remove caliper = £93.33
Refit caliper piston, seals and test pressure = £53.33
Bleeding brake system with DSC = £173.33
Total = £383.99

Am I right in thinking the 4 Series have electronic handbrakes? If not and it's a manual hand break then there's a garage willing to refit it for £120 all in.. otherwise if it's electronic he doesn't want to do it as the handbrake won't accept the piston without it being wound back apparently?
      02-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Out of the above, they really don't have to remove the caliper to replace piston/seals, but whatever...

My 2015 435iX has manual handbrake, no electronic. Parking brake is brake shoes that ride inside bore of rear rotors, caliper does not act as parking brake

You should know which you have - is there a manual handbrake lever on the center console that you pull up on?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

So you pumped the brakes without pads?? The piston popped out and you expect the dealer to fit the bill ? If your doing maintenance and you break something that's on you. Sounds to me like you should have them just refurb it so you don't have to deal with it. No offense, but it sounds like your over your head.

You have to remove the caliper off the car to refurbish it. No way around that There is no secret passage on the rear of the caliper to remove the piston
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Out of the above, they really don't have to remove the caliper to replace piston/seals, but whatever...

My 2015 435iX has manual handbrake, no electronic. Parking brake is brake shoes that ride inside bore of rear rotors, caliper does not act as parking brake

You should know which you have - is there a manual handbrake lever on the center console that you pull up on?
Perfect, sounds like the same for me then. Thing is they've sent me a photo of the caliper already removed from the vehicle, so the fact they're trying to claim that's a cost I find obscene really.

I'll ring up the neighbouring garage in the morning, as long as it's manual then they're willing to do it all in for £120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
So you pumped the brakes without pads?? The piston popped out and you expect the dealer to fit the bill ? If your doing maintenance and you break something that's on you. Sounds to me like you should have them just refurb it so you don't have to deal with it. No offense, but it sounds like your over your head.

You have to remove the caliper off the car to refurbish it. No way around that There is no secret passage on the rear of the caliper to remove the piston
I wouldn't even say I fully pumped the brakes, I appreciate I sound like a complete noob here, and hey; I am. I have hardly any knowledge on mechanics. I'm a self learner that learns from mistakes unfortunately, but yeah I'm going to go with the rerfurb route.

As for my grovel with the dealer it's more that they dragged the car from the trailer into their garage and then only realised that they were scraping the caliper on the tarmac. That's what has pissed me off, it could have easily been avoidable

Picture attached for those who wish to see their damage (it had zero marks originally, pristine condition as I made sure they were kept that way)
Attached Images

02-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

You can get the caliper for €530.-/£470.- plus shipping cost from German Leebmann24.de shop. (per caliper)

£900.- (per caliper) looks like the classic dealer rip-off.

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=34&bt=34_2033
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerlawson View Post
As for my grovel with the dealer it's more that they dragged the car from the trailer into their garage and then only realised that they were scraping the caliper on the tarmac. That's what has pissed me off, it could have easily been avoidable

Picture attached for those who wish to see their damage (it had zero marks originally, pristine condition as I made sure they were kept that way)
Regardless of the existing problem with the caliper, the dealer or whatever shop taking possession is liable to return your property in the same or better condition than provided... They clearly caused this damage and should offer to replace it, however convenient it may be considering the reason you brought it there.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

FWIW when this happens you can usually just pop the piston back in place, so long as the seal isn't damaged.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
e30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
FWIW when this happens you can usually just pop the piston back in place, so long as the seal isn't damaged.
Exactly! That sucks you had to tow it. Did you pump the pedal while the piston was off the rotor?
Appreciate 0