F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Auto transmission slipping
ARMA SPEED

02-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

Auto transmission slipping

Hi guys this may sound extremely trivial but i’m a bit ocd so bear with me.

Since having the car approx 1 year ago i’ve noticed extremely intermittently maybe one in 50 times when setting off from cold (especially when the cars been parked up for a day or so) reversing off my drive the engine revs are higher than normal and it feels as if the clutch is slipping (its an auto), theres a slight shudder after a couple of seconds and everything returns to normal.

Its usually if im rushing and i get in the car and set straight off without waiting a few seconds before engaging reverse and setting off.

Its almost like pressure has to build up and this takes a few seconds then its good to go. As mentioned its extremely rare it does this but wondering if anyone else has felt the same.

car is a 2016 335d
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

its normal

mine is worst if i use the hand brake and they bind on in the cold. common thought is the torque converter needs to repick up oil, i find cycling from fwd to rev and back again helps as well

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post

Since having the car approx 1 year ago i’ve noticed extremely intermittently maybe one in 50 times when setting off from cold (especially when the cars been parked up for a day or so) reversing off my drive the engine revs are higher than normal and it feels as if the clutch is slipping (its an auto), theres a slight shudder after a couple of seconds and everything returns to normal.

Its usually if im rushing and i get in the car and set straight off without waiting a few seconds before engaging reverse and setting off.

Its almost like pressure has to build up and this takes a few seconds then its good to go. As mentioned its extremely rare it does this but wondering if anyone else has felt the same.

car is a 2016 335d
Probably as simple as a bit of random drain back from the torque converter. If so, takes a few seconds from start up to be fully primed.

Is your drive on a slope by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

yes its on a steep slope facing downhill, i guess this wouldnt usually be noticed if i lived on a straight road. thanks for the reassurance
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport

I park on a slight slope as well, but can't say I've noticed this. My procedure (when I don't have to clear the windows of ice/snow/water/condensation is to get in, start the car, and then put on my seatbelt. That usually adds a few seconds and let the engine start circulating some oil before driving off gently.

Jens
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

i may change my routine then! i usually put seat belt on and then press start and straight in to reverse, i guess not giving things time to start working properly.

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

i dont think routine really makes much different. until its up and spinning i dont think it can draw it in

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post

car is a 2016 335d
I only drive my car at weekends and some times two weeks pass between drives. My drive is also on a slope although slight and I also get this on my 435d and had it on my 318d. As said above something to do with the torque converter. I find switching between reverse and drive again kinda sorts it out but not 100% until I start driving normally.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 05:14 AM   #9
shyshy999
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

I am having a similar problem to this at the moment and it is driving me mad although BMW says its normal. It happens when reversing and then engaging drive only when at temperature after a little drive. When pulling away the revs go up but the car doesn't move until it finally engages and jolts forward. Surely this cant be right?

Potential solenoids or torque converter? I can seem to find anyone else with the same problem especially as BMW says this is normal. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0