E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 Passenger Side Window Not Fully Up

02-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Typhoon707
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 328i Msport

Garage List
Question E92 Passenger Side Window Not Fully Up

Hi everyone,
There had been a lot of wind noise on my passenger side window so I brought it to the dealership to get it fixed. They told me they got it fixed and judging by the engine oil temp gauge, they even took it on a test drive. When I took it on the road I too thought the wind noise issue had been resolved.

A month later I realized depending on wind direction and speed, wind was still able to come in through the window. I also feel like the dealership made have actually made the situation worse. I never bothered to contact the dealership about it figuring they were incompetent ( a small interior trim piece was damaged during their attempt at resolving the issue, although they replaced it for free).

While driving with a passenger today (6 months after the dealership visit), the wind noise came up again and my passenger was able to push the top of the window to allow more wind in. I'm not sure whether the passenger was pushing the top of the window or putting their finger between the window and the seal. Upon looking at the passenger window in more specifically today I realized the passenger side window does not seem to roll up enough to allow the middle portion to fully touch the seal. The front portion seems to touch though but I am not too sure. The gap between the middle portion and the seal is large enough to allow my fingers to latch on to it from the outside and I feel like if I tried hard enough I could perhaps stick something through the window from the gap.

The driver's side window seals perfectly and does not have wind noise. What is the cause of the passenger side's issue? When I first brought it to the dealership I thought the issue was the window was not sitting tight enough to the seals (horizontal shift required), but now it seems that a vertical shift is required too.

What should I do? What seems to be the culprit?
      02-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon707 View Post
Hi everyone,
There had been a lot of wind noise on my passenger side window so I brought it to the dealership to get it fixed. They told me they got it fixed and judging by the engine oil temp gauge, they even took it on a test drive. When I took it on the road I too thought the wind noise issue had been resolved.

A month later I realized depending on wind direction and speed, wind was still able to come in through the window. I also feel like the dealership made have actually made the situation worse. I never bothered to contact the dealership about it figuring they were incompetent ( a small interior trim piece was damaged during their attempt at resolving the issue, although they replaced it for free).

While driving with a passenger today (6 months after the dealership visit), the wind noise came up again and my passenger was able to push the top of the window to allow more wind in. I'm not sure whether the passenger was pushing the top of the window or putting their finger between the window and the seal. Upon looking at the passenger window in more specifically today I realized the passenger side window does not seem to roll up enough to allow the middle portion to fully touch the seal. The front portion seems to touch though but I am not too sure. The gap between the middle portion and the seal is large enough to allow my fingers to latch on to it from the outside and I feel like if I tried hard enough I could perhaps stick something through the window from the gap.

The driver's side window seals perfectly and does not have wind noise. What is the cause of the passenger side's issue? When I first brought it to the dealership I thought the issue was the window was not sitting tight enough to the seals (horizontal shift required), but now it seems that a vertical shift is required too.

Does it go after door is closed?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Does it go after door is closed?
Yeah the windows go down when I open and goes up when I close.
      02-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

you can reset the stop points of the windows, Ive had to do it once. search around for the procedure, its here somewhere.
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faredo View Post
you can reset the stop points of the windows, Ive had to do it once. search around for the procedure, its here somewhere.
What he said
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 11:36 PM   #6
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you referring to this?
1. Put key in, no need to start car.
2. Roll window all the way down, let go of button.
3. Hold window button DOWN for 20seconds. This resets the window in the down position. Now you must reset the window in the up position.
4. Roll window up. Do NOT panic if window doesn't go all the way up. Mine would only go up about 3inches. Then I would hold the up button again and it would only go up another 3inches or so. Keep doing this until the window is all the way in the up position as the window has not been reset in the up position yet. Let go of button.
5. Hold window button UP for 20 seconds. This resets the window in the up position.

(Taken from: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...g-To-Top-FIXED!!)
      02-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #7
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi everyone,

try this

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=window
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to this?
1. Put key in, no need to start car.
2. Roll window all the way down, let go of button.
3. Hold window button DOWN for 20seconds. This resets the window in the down position. Now you must reset the window in the up position.
4. Roll window up. Do NOT panic if window doesn't go all the way up. Mine would only go up about 3inches. Then I would hold the up button again and it would only go up another 3inches or so. Keep doing this until the window is all the way in the up position as the window has not been reset in the up position yet. Let go of button.
5. Hold window button UP for 20 seconds. This resets the window in the up position.

(Taken from: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...g-To-Top-FIXED!!)
Yep thats it.
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #9
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
This is the one I wanted the dealership to perform, however, the SA wouldn't let me talk to the mechanic, basically insinuating that their mechanic knows best. I let the dealership figure it out on their own and I guess they didn't actually fix the problem. It's disappointing that the dealership asks for top dollar and does not show the love these vehicles deserve.
      02-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep thats it.
Okay thanks! I'll try this later. So judging from description of the issue, you don't believe a hardware adjustment or replacement is needed right?
      02-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #11
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
I tried the instructions to reinitialize the windows but I am unable to even DE initialize. I even tried the initialize procedure on my scan tool but the window position never changed.

Here are some photos of the gap:

View post on imgur.com

*Just realized photobucket needs money...

Last edited by Typhoon707; 02-26-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
Nautinto
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i N52K

Hello! Did you find any solution to your problem? From what I’ve heard, it is possible to adjust vertical alignment of the window by removing the door liner and adjusting the position of the window or actuator theough some adjustment bolts, but I don’t know for sure. I have the same issue in my E92 and I am thinking of opening up the door this weekend. Perhaps I’ll take some pics of the process if I remember.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #13
z3r06r4v1t1
Boost Addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Anybody find solution?

I’ve been having this problem for a while. I got the door card off multiple times and adjusted preload and front height adjustment, but back doesnt appear to have a way to go up. So at this point when I adjust the front up, it really just angles the window and makes it so it doesnt close anymore. Can only adjust so far and then need to stop because the window gets caught on b pillar trim.
Appreciate 0