Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Confused... Tire choices

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Confused... Tire choices

I'm still trying to pick tires to go on my new M5 replica rims. I had pretty much decided to get the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's, but now I've been doing more research I'm wondering if the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S would have been a better choice.

I don't really ever push my car to the limits or even drive that fast, so I'm wondering if the F1's are overkill for my needs. I basically want a tire thats a good compromise. We get lots of rain here, so it needs to handle well in the wet and the dry. Snow is not too much of a concern. I also want a tire with the best ride and noise comfort possible. That is important to me. It would also be nice if the tire had decent tread life, say 30K miles would be fine.

I've gone round in circles on these two tires so much - I really need some input. Looking at the TireRack test scores, the Pirelli seems like a quieter more comfortable tire, with slightly worse handling. I'm wondering if it will be a better fit for me than the F1.

Any help, input and advice would be very useful.

Thanks,
Matt.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Matt: u think Houston gets a lot of rain? hehe. Anyways, did you consider the Toyo T1R's? They have excellent reviews, and i know you did some research on toyo tires before. I have not tried them yet, but i expect it to be good. I saved $200 purchasing this over the Goodyear F1's. The Goodyears were rated #1 on the track, and are good for autocrossing, but I doubt most people will ever do those things. It also had good wet properties, and that was one of my main criterias, because hydroplaning is so scary. It doesn't matter to me if one shaves 3 seconds off of a laptime, I'd care more if it can stick to the road in wet conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

If I go with a summer tire, it will be the Goodyears or maybe the Dunlop Sport Maxx or PS2's. I'm not interested in any of the others. My main confusion is between the two tires I mentioned. The Pirelli just seems to be an awesome tire for the money...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
tl_boy
Major
Rep

Then buy it and let us know how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_330i
If I go with a summer tire, it will be the Goodyears or maybe the Dunlop Sport Maxx or PS2's. I'm not interested in any of the others. My main confusion is between the two tires I mentioned. The Pirelli just seems to be an awesome tire for the money...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
tl_boy
Major
Rep

?? you're an idiot. every day you post on a new rim, and a new tire. both tires are obviously good, so just choose one. Don't take it so f'n personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
I say go with Toyo T1-R's...... LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_330i
I basically want a tire thats a good compromise. We get lots of rain here, so it needs to handle well in the wet and the dry. Snow is not too much of a concern. I also want a tire with the best ride and noise comfort possible. That is important to me. It would also be nice if the tire had decent tread life, say 30K miles would be fine.
That sounds like a Michelin PS2 . . . The Pirelli isn't even in the same league, quality and performance wise. If money is no object, buy the PS2's. If you want to save some dough, are willing to sacrifice some quality, but want equal performance to the PS2s, get the F1's.

Personally, I would stay away from Pirelli's. The only Pirelli's I have been happy with are their snow tires. All the dry road Pirelli's I have had have had funky wear and gotten really noisy at mid-life.

YMMV

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0