E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Will VO change (FLA) affect future I-Level Update?

02-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)

Will VO change (FLA) affect future I-Level Update?

I'm curious if anyone can comment on this. I'm wanting to add FLA to my e93, and I've found the correct mirror.

Obviously it requires changing the VO, and while I've done this to retrofit the alarm (with door sensors) to my car, what I haven't done is ever have the car's I-Level upgraded.

Because it is running factory original software, there are numerous updates which I'd like to take advantage of. I'm guessing development of updates for the e-series is probably ending or already over. If anyone can tell me the latest I-Level for my e93 M3 that would be appreciated.

So my question becomes, if I retrofit FLA, will the dealer's system balk when it goes to update my car or will it see the VO, see the mirror, and proceed without incident? I'm guessing the alarm won't pose a problem since they were dealer retrofit frequently, but I'm less sure about other changes that would never have been done in the field. If it matters also, the mirror is from a car a few years newer, so it likely has newer software present.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I believe that the dealer's computer connects to the BMW servers during I-Level checks and updates.

BMW's servers cannot distinguish between a VO coding change or a BMW dealer installed retrofit, so you should be fine.

However I would have the I-Level update done first if possible just to avoid problems.

BTW: I did the FLA install and had the I-Level checked later when my car went in for the airbag recall.

A VIN check, which should be pulled from BMW's databases, later did not show the FLA installed, but I could see the FLA appear on the screen during the I-Level check and the software was communicating with BMW's master servers.

I assumed that the VO for my VIN would be updated at BMW during the check, apparently it was not.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post

A VIN check, which should be pulled from BMW's databases, later did not show the FLA installed, but I could see the FLA appear on the screen during the I-Level check and the software was communicating with BMW's master servers.

I assumed that the VO for my VIN would be updated at BMW during the check, apparently it was not.
My understanding is that BMW doesn't generally update the VO on the server, though it would be interesting to see if they would in the instance of an item like the alarm where a retrofit is offered.

Did they just check your I-Level or actually update the car? The reason I'm asking is that I have found the right mirror, but want to be sure there isn't a defect with it if I purchase. I won't be able to take the car in for a few months yet since it is garaged for winter.
Appreciate 0