E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Buckled wheel ?

02-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Buckled wheel ?

I had a tyre changed this afternoon thanks to a puncture and have been advised the wheel it was carried out on is buckled (also was shown this on the balancer).

So what are people experiences of buckles

Can they be taken out safely?

Is it best to scrap wheel and replace?

I was planning a full refurbishment in the next couple of months, can anyone recommend a good refurbisher in Warwickshire/West Midlands who could do a full refurb of each wheel stripping right back and coating from scratch who would also if advisable take the buckle out of this one.

Any help would be much appreciated.
      02-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

yes a buckle can be taken out,,ive had wheels welded in the past and been fine also.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

JP alloys in Cannock are fantastic. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback & the recommendation. Had the wheel further inspected today and been told it's too far gone for a safe repair as there's signs of material stress to the wheel before any manipulation to true it. So need to source a good condition/new 339 style wheel so I made some calls with only some rough ones in breakers coming up great :

I then had a good recommendation from one of my old friends on the VAG scene and another who works in JLR on a company called First Aid Wheels who will take the three good wheels in as a part payment towards a set of fully checked and refurbished like for like wheels for a little less than the cost of 1 New replacement from the main dealer. Which sounds good as all wheels will be finished exactly the same and are guaranteed non repaired just refinished as per OEM.

Has anyone else heard of or used these guys they are based in London?

I've seen the wheels they supplied for my mates Audi and they look factory in terms of finish and he does have very sound judgement/experience but...

I just wanted to hear if any others in the BMW circles had any experience of this company, before I finally made my mind up on this route.
      02-16-2018, 04:09 AM   #5
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
There are a couple of this style wheel on ebay, £50 each. That's the route I'd be going.
I am not a fan of exchanging wheels for a refurbed set, there's only one winner & it's usually not you.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:09 AM   #6
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
There are a couple of this style wheel on ebay, £50 each. That's the route I'd be going.
I am not a fan of exchanging wheels for a refurbed set, there's only one winner & it's usually not you.
I saw these both are the same seller based in Londonderry they guy/girl will not confirm of than they "are as in the pics fair/rough condition and need a refurb but not buckled, cracked or welded" with no proof of having them check for such or even having them on a balancer to even see if that is the case with a buckle just "can't see anything as you will see in the pics"

I've also got a mountain of quotes over the last week for the repair to my buckled wheel and the refurb then of the full set and man it varies so much from £40/80 for the repair and £65/125 per wheel for the finish refurb all based on new centre cap supply by myself.

So although cheap as chips one of these could be a potential total ball ache if I have one it arrives I then gave it checked and there is a buckle I'm back to square 1 with a wheel I'll then be out of pocket in sending back to Londonderry, and that's before I put the cost of a refurb on the finish on the full set (something I had planned anyway)

After speaking with First Aid Wheels again, seeing posts on other forums where people are very happy and then yesterday meeting up with a friend who had theirs wheels from there after a crack in one of their Audi 19's to which the replacements are absolutely mint in finish to the same as they were on pick up from dealer if not better tbh.

I think I will take the chance on them plus they have said I can see each wheel spun up before tyres go on so know they are all straight.

Seems they have nothing to hide and are honest so will get it booked in for next sat and will report back.

Thanks again to all those who have helped/advised
      02-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Not long got back after the trip to First Aid Wheels got to say I can't fault them absolutely one of the easiest & straightest companies I have ever dealt with. They inspected my wheels with me after take off explaining the issues and then showed and let me inspect the replacement set prior to tyres on including spin up on the balancer to show all wheels as straight and true. The finish of the powder coat is immaculate no thick areas or runs just absolutely perfect and tbh as good as factory if not better (I am incredibly fussy with a sharp eye for detail, I have to be as a designer) From arrival to leaving was just under 1hr and I really could not fault them would definitely recommend them to anyone wanting a refurb finish or otherwise.
Attached Images