F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Is anybody buying the Velar?
ARMA SPEED

02-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Is anybody buying the Velar?

I live in JLR territory, about 15 mins from halewood, there are loads of JLR Land Rover stuff around, evoques, RRS, FFRR, Disco etc but no Velars and I mean none.

Are they not selling, I see loads of F Pace but no Velar?

Good looking car and I thought it’d sell very well just like the rest of the range?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
I live in JLR territory, about 15 mins from halewood, there are loads of JLR Land Rover stuff around, evoques, RRS, FFRR, Disco etc but no Velars and I mean none.

Good looking car and I thought it’d sell very well just like the rest of the range?
I think they look stunning, when I saw the first one I had seen on the road I thought it looked classy. I assumed it was a bridge model between the evoque and RRS, when I saw the price so could see that's not what they were intending. Serious wedge, I would prefer a RRS for that kind of money.

How do they compare with the F pace price wise?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17550.50
      02-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
I think they look stunning, when I saw the first one I had seen on the road I thought it looked classy. I assumed it was a bridge model between the evoque and RRS, when I saw the price so could see that's not what they were intending. Serious wedge, I would prefer a RRS for that kind of money.

Same car aren’t they?

I don’t know pricing but they must be dearer than the F Pace?
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

Quote:
Quote:

Price wise more expensive, but potentially higher residuals as LR's tend to retain a decent %. I'm pricing both an F PACE R SPORT 240hp and a VELAR D240 R dynamic SE which are the same jag engine, similar spec etc, I'll post on here once I have pcp quotes
      02-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 325d MSport

Several in our sons school car park of a morning. Very spec dependant - some look stunning others look pretty meh
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Pricing.

It's mental.

Then there was the USP at launch. The (rather nice and hugely improved infotainment) Touch Duo Pro.

Except JLR let that be a USP for about 2 weeks before releasing that system across the RRS and FFRR. Thus royally screwing early adopter Velar buyers IMO.

I am a prime example (of what I hear you say )

Well I walked into LR Chester wanting a test drive and to price up a Velar. However after spacing then up it was literally borderline in PCP costs, actually a little cheaper for a RRS bs the Velar. All I would say is have a sit in both, and if you were paying the same money there isn't really a choice!

Then if you visit any forums, oh dear, it does seem like the early enthusiasm has died very quickly with realisability basics and issues.

Hmm. It will correct itself with .... back to my original comment, pricing. Each model after entry levels is about £10k OTT. I have heard high specs and Launch Editions can now be had with £9500 off. This finally makes sense.

It's a beautiful product, one of the best SUVs ever devised but it just needs a little time and some market adjustment.

I've seen a few on the roads now, but look forward more to the sumptuous interior and proper RR command driving position of my RRS coming April the MY18 product address's all my prior concerns of a RR product, and the PCP residuals are incredible

I'm very very excited. I also get a warm fuzzy feeling post Brexit buying Brindian. (Yes I spelt that right )

I really hope JLR are on a roll I so WANT the to do well.

Who else is brave enough to make the leap? Anyone? If anything you take a low mileage PCP with all the courtesy cars

Good thread OP... who's seen a Velar?
      02-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

About +£15k on an F Pace.

On forums usually refered to as the V Pace :
      02-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've seen a few about down south, but it takes quite a while for a new car to look more prevalent on the road.

I was quite wowed by it on the show stand at Geneva last year, but less so on the road. Still looks pretty stylish I agree, but my early play on the configurator put me off price-wise, and the reviews, whilst good, tell me it's not the car for me.

I find the recent advert for it a bit weird... where the sheer presence of it intimidates the pack of guard dogs! What's that all about?! Almost as weird as the advert for the VW T-Roc being that it's got so much attitude that it can scare a goat.

Must be some marketing insight that SUVs are bought by people who like to be able to scare animals perhaps.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Too expensive for the workers at Halewood that make up half of what you see. I regularly visit Halewood with work and the staff car parks are full of Evoque and Discovery Sports.

If you live near Halewood, Castle Bromwich or Solihull JLR cars are so common that you'd easily believe the sold better than they do, they're everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I've seen a few about down south, but it takes quite a while for a new car to look more prevalent on the road.

I was quite wowed by it on the show stand at Geneva last year, but less so on the road. Still looks pretty stylish I agree, but my early play on the configurator put me off price-wise, and the reviews, whilst good, tell me it's not the car for me.

I find the recent advert for it a bit weird... where the sheer presence of it intimidates the pack of guard dogs! What's that all about?! Almost as weird as the advert for the VW T-Roc being that it's got so much attitude that it can scare a goat.

Must be some marketing insight that SUVs are bought by people who like to be able to scare animals perhaps.
I loved it first couple of times I saw it, lower, longer looking and sleeker than most Land Rover products. But, now it's going the other way, the front just looks giant, doesn't match the rest of the car IMO, looks like a sporty SUV with a giant snow plough attached to the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #11
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Too expensive for the workers at Halewood that make up half of what you see. I regularly visit Halewood with work and the staff car parks are full of Evoque and Discovery Sports.

If you live near Halewood, Castle Bromwich or Solihull JLR cars are so common that you'd easily believe the sold better than they do, they're everywhere.
Correct hence my post, I don’t see any of them ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:

About +£15k on an F Pace.

On forums usually refered to as the V Pace :
Feck me! £15k?! Over an F-pace. Wow. Not a chance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I so wanted one. Smaller than a RRS and bigger than an evoque sounded perfect. Then I priced one up. £70k for the spec I wanted....

Then my son in law to be returned his F Pace due to all the electrical issues

Then I saw a Velar - big front. Small windows. Too low.

Then I bought an SQ5. Job done.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

I was in LR dealer a few months ago having a beak around a Discovery Sport and the conversation got onto the Velar. Personally, I'm not a big fan. They look great but I don't like the tech, as good as I'm sure it is. Anyhoo, talking to the sales geezer and he said they're not selling as many as they thought as people come in, realise how bloody expensive they are end up buying a used RR Sport instead.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #15
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Correct hence my post, I don’t see any of them ever.
I know, the reason was in my post, too bloody expensive, particularly for workers at Halewood. Probably selling fine in the Home Counties and a different part of Cheshire.

Certainly see plenty on transporters coming out of Solihull.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:47 AM   #16
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I've only seen two on the road. On in Waitrose car park in Oundle, a stunning red one with black roof and alloys, and one of the launch models at the gym car park.

As others have said, I think LR have been very optimistic with the pricing. I thought they were meant to be a stepping stone from the Evoque to the RRS, but seemed to be priced nearer the RRS. And then the RRS got a facelift as well making it look closer to the Velar.

I'm sure LR know what they are doing but it does seem confusing.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #17
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
I know, the reason was in my post, too bloody expensive, particularly for workers at Halewood. Probably selling fine in the Home Counties and a different part of Cheshire.

Certainly see plenty on transporters coming out of Solihull.
Plenty of them drive the RRS and FFRR though.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #18
De30m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2022 GLC300D

the spec is laughable and it has the longest arse I've seen since the 90s XJs that looked like they were melting

went in quite seriously to look at one to replace our Q5 anything within £20K of what I can get a replacement for has a miserable 2.0litre in all that metal! and if you look at the problems they are having with the ingenium engines and fuel economy and major engine wear and really poor NVH, I'd steer well clear of that

swirl flaps are a minor inconvenience to the mess JLR has made of that engine and it's support for its customers

one of our directors is on his second LR Discovery sport with that engine and this one is going back like the first one did because it is letting diesel into the sump and killing the engine all over again - that's before you get to the other issues he's had -

these "cheap" LR and RR products are a poor refection of what you are sold you are buying into

Gone - M440i - Brooklyn Grey Tacora red, 797s, HK, M Technology pack, Visibilty & shadow line plus
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
This is typical of the Indian "just good enough" engineering.
Given former colleagues Who work there claim very little interference from owners, I think it is more typical of the 'not quite good enough" British workmanship...
Appreciate 3
      02-12-2018, 03:36 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Given former colleagues Who work there claim very little interference from owners, I think it is more typical of the 'not quite good enough" British workmanship...
Yup this. JLR are improving but a way off the best German and Japanese production methods.
      02-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #21
Healy
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d GC

I am seriously considering getting rid of the 6 series this year and getting an LR product. Was having a mooch around a couple of weeks ago and I was not overly taken by the Velar at all. I was initially interested in the RRS but soon came to the conclusion that if I did go down this route I would only really be happy with a Full Fat Rangie but the spec I am looking at is coming in around the 100K mark Doable but I am still on the fence.

Looked at the offerings from Audi and thought they looked very 'chintzy' especially the SQ5, which is too small and girlie for me anyway. The Q7 is starting to look its age and is just plain ugly.

I will take a look at the offerings from BMW and Merc over the next couple of weeks and whilst I expect them to be significantly better than Audi I doubt they will be able to compete with the overall 'classy' package that the high end LR products offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #22
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Plenty of them drive the RRS and FFRR though.
I must be going to the wrong car parks, only see the odd one when I'm there. I'm sure senior management can afford them, but even with discount, I doubt most others can.
Appreciate 0