F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > no maintenance with 122K miles
proTUNING Freaks

02-01-2018, 03:33 AM   #1
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

no maintenance with 122K miles

I have a buddy that just picked up a one owner 2014 328 M sport with 125K mostly highway miles on commuting a long way to and from work. The lady said she only had the oil changed when the car said to after the free maintenance period and that was it. She said she thinks new brakes were put on during that time because of squeaking noises but unsure. I told him about this forum and all the knowledge he could get from some of the BMW tech guys on here. I was curious what maintenance should he have performed to bring it up to par?? I told him I would ask on here before he brings it to the dealer to get raped. The car actually runs good and other than the mechanical neglect the interior and body seems well cared for.

any input will be appreciated.
      02-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If the car needs anything it should say so in the iDrive. I doubt that the woman who owned it had the ability to clear it. Any service that has been done by a dealer should be registered on the key fob.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
utjeffc
Rep
Drives: 2016 JB 328i

Since the car says "Service required" and not "Oil change required," there is a chance she took it to the shop every time the message appeared and the shop took care of whatever needed to be done. This would include filters, the normal inspection I/II every 30-40k miles, and any work outside of normal that was identified by the inspections.

There is also an equal chance that the service required message appeared and she told the shop to only change the oil, and they did exactly what she asked. She doesn't know whether the brakes were done, so the first possibility has a slightly higher probability, but you won't know until you get the maintenance records. Like Bill said, you should be able to get a report from BMW.

Post an update after he takes it to the shop, I'd like to hear how everything looks after 122k miles. I am increasing mileage at a similar rate on my 2016, and it would be nice to get a preview of what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #4
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

As others have said, it’s probably fine if all service was done at the dealer based on the CBS, and any dealer should be able to print up the full service history.

The fixed-interval service items are the only ones I’d want to double-check, like brake fluid which I think is every 3 years? Spark plugs are on some kind of mileage schedule too, I think - maybe 50-60k? Also all the air filters (engine and cabin) you’ll want to to see if those were ever changed.

The coolant is now considered “lifetime”, IIRC, but I’d probably want to change it on general principles if it was never flushed. Ditto rear diff fluid, dunno if that’s on a schedule or not. The tranny fluid is probably too late to change now and best left alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport 6mt

when dealers do the work it typically shows as a service on the carfax, along with what the service was. i'd recommend pulling a carfax and taking a look, or swing by the bmw dealer and have them read the key. we can guess til we're blue in the face about it, but there are ways to find out for sure what's been done. the owner's manual should have the service schedule in it to tell you what should have been done. once you find out what has been done you can compare it to that and see what's left.
      02-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSKIDN View Post
The car actually runs good and other than the mechanical neglect the interior and body seems well cared for.

any input will be appreciated.
As other comments have said, need to know if it was serviced to CBS requirements, or short changed on servicing.

If to the minimum CBS regime, are you suggesting it possibly requires other service items during that time/mileage?

Many cars over here in Europe will only get the CBS garage visits, for similar or greater mileage. Not many add preventative maintenance to that sort of mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Best bet is she probably had what ever work peformed done at a BMW dealership. Go to a dealership and ask them to run the service/maintenance report.
Appreciate 0