THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics couple of issues and questions regarding BT playback 2016 228i

01-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
kevinf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

couple of issues and questions regarding BT playback 2016 228i

I have a '16 228i. I am seeing a couple of small issues with the bluetooth playback and wonder if anyone else experience the same. I am using an iPhone X with latest iOS but also had issues with my previous phones too.

1) Often times when I get in the car and go to the bluetooth screen on iDrive and start playing pandora, the album art and other metadata does not update on the iDrive screen and continues to say unknown with no album artwork. usually I have to go to another audio source such as FM and back to bluetooth for the data to populate properly.

2) Whenever I get into the car the iDrive always goes to the external devices list instead of going straight into the bluetooth Now Playing screen.

3) the volume through bluetooth is very low and I have had to max out the volume on the phone plus increase the volume on iDrive. This results in sudden loudness if I were to go back to Satellite radio or FM.

Anybody experience any of these issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

I too have an iPhone X and there is a serious delay when I select to move to the next track. This never happened with my iPhone 6. I am having service done on my 2014 228i and I can tell you the same issue is present on the 2017 230i loaner. (I'm not fan of the new iDrive interface and it's likely due to the fact I'm unfamiliar with it) but the older system in mine is more intuitive and has a cleaner layout. My only point is there is definitely a compatibility issue with the iPhone X and the latest iDrives in both models. I was hoping the latest Apple update would fix it but alas no dice.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
kevinf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAustin View Post
I too have an iPhone X and there is a serious delay when I select to move to the next track. This never happened with my iPhone 6. I am having service done on my 2014 228i and I can tell you the same issue is present on the 2017 230i loaner. (I'm not fan of the new iDrive interface and it's likely due to the fact I'm unfamiliar with it) but the older system in mine is more intuitive and has a cleaner layout. My only point is there is definitely a compatibility issue with the iPhone X and the latest iDrives in both models. I was hoping the latest Apple update would fix it but alas no dice.
Do you experience any of the things I mentioned above though? I do agree BMW should improve their bluetooth connectivity though.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I saw a PuMA measure about this on the AIR, however, unfortunately, I don't have it here at the moment. The measure suggests that both the car and the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X get updated to the latest build. So if you guys have the latest iOS version (currently 11.2.5) I suggest that once you take your car in for a service have it programmed to the latest I-level. The problem should be solved if your car is programmed with ISTA+ 4.08.x or higher.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
kevinf
Private
Rep

Thanks omera60. It would be good to have the PuMA so I can reference to it in my upcoming service appointment this month. Is there any way I can check my ISTA+ level myself?

Also, will my coding (nothing coded related to this issue) be erased? Will they see my coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Hi Kevin(hope that’s your name )
I’ll post you the PuMA once I have the number for you however bear in mind the numbers might not match up as the case number is assigned to Turkey and if so other ECE countries, BMW NA might have a different number for it. If you have ISTA+ yourself and a OBD cable (ICOM) yes you can but other than that you cannot check it.

When the car gets updated it is done as a whole so any coding you might have done will reset back to factory settings. If you coded cosmetic stuff like door handle lights in reverse etc. cannot be seen but all these will revert back as I said. If you remapped the ECU or that kind of stuff that might come up depending on how you did it. Some tunes show up as alteration warnings others don’t. Some cases will also revert these back some won’t.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
kevinf
Private
Rep

Hmm I have a vgate adapter that I use to do coding with Bimmercode. That is wireless, not sure if I can use that though. It would be good as well to just look at the description of this PuMA so that I can see if my symptoms match what is being described.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 05:37 AM   #8
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
I don’t think you can.
Unfortunately they won’t allow me to publish the PuMA file here but I got you the case number: 63923313-01.
Appreciate 0