E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wheel hitting strut on one side!

01-29-2018, 02:34 AM   #1
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Wheel hitting strut on one side!

Lowered my E90 330i on Raceland coilovers a month ago. I bought these used from a friend, not even 2k miles on them so they were practically new.
I never had any issues with them until today, so as the title reads my drivers side wheel is scraping against my coilover. I'm gonna be as specific as possible, hopefully someone can point in the right direction of my problem.

- My coilovers ARE maxed out to the lowest setting and the edge of the rim is scraping exactly where you place the spanner wrench to adjust your height preference.

- My wheel specs are 18x9.5 et 22 wrapped in a 225/35/18, again I NEVER had any issues with them hitting the coilover until today.

- This morning, I did tighten my strut hat bolts on both sides because they seemed kinda loose. I was able to tighten them a little more. I drove it about 40 miles, as soon as I came back home and pulled into my driveway I heard the wheel scrape against the coilover.

What I've done:

- Removed and reinstalled suspension, everything seemed 100% fine.
- Torqued down wheel to spec (thought maybe uneven torqued bolts could cause the wheel to spin unevenly)

At this point, the only thing I can think of is a wheel alignment. It's literally so bad I can't even take the car out of my driveway anymore.

Does anyone have an input on what might be causing this?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
The strut is most likely bent
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Either that or you have a bad bad bearing which deflects much more than usual causing the top of mag to lean more towards strut.

I vote bad bearing... then perhaps bent strut somehow.

Also check your knuckle tightening big bolt which hold the strut in place, any play at that level?
      01-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

1) you bent your strut
OR
2) you bent your strut mount (these are cheap as hell and just as flimsy at like $18-23)

Btw thats odd you managed to get racelands to their lowest???? On 18's, albeit ones with thin tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
Either that or you have a bad bad bearing which deflects much more than usual causing the top of mag to lean more towards strut.

Also check your knuckle tightening big bolt which hold the strut in place, any play at that level?
The bolt is tightened. When I reinstalled I made sure every single bolt I removed or loosened was tightened down. Also, I can drive the car with my Style 95s (19x9) and I don’t hear any noise of a bad wheel bearing. So I’m gonna say the strut is bent. Removing it right now to inspect it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
1) you bent your strut
OR
2) you bent your strut mount (these are cheap as hell and just as flimsy at like $18-23)

Btw thats odd you managed to get racelands to their lowest???? On 18's, albeit ones with thin tires?
Removing it to inspect it right now. And yeah, just needed to roll my fenders and bend a piece of my bumper bracket mount a little upwards
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
when this happened to me last year, it was because the shop mounted the rear tire on the front wheel. I would do a look over to make sure all is good
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
when this happened to me last year, it was because the shop mounted the rear tire on the front wheel. I would do a look over to make sure all is good
I have 18x9.5 all around. It just started happening out of no where.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post

Are you referring to the bearing on the strut hat? If so, this might be my problem.. I removed the coilover and inspected it and it does not appear to be bent. Considering I used my OEM strut hats, they were pretty worn out ( I have 133k on the car ). I put my strut hat back on and I noticed there was a lot of play in it causing the strut to move back and forth hitting the wheel. Will be getting a new strut hat this weekend and hopefully it resolves my issue. Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 12:41 AM   #10
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Remember to saw off the alignment pin on the new one unless your car is very new and very pristine....actually, no, if youve bent a strut mount, definitely saw it off because who knows what else is slightly out and how much adjustment itll need

Oh and btw bent struts dont necessarily LOOK bent, a mere couple degrees will throw everything out of whack

Also beware racelands parts are kinda flimsy you might struggle to get the top nut back on to assemble the dang thing

Last edited by Adieu; 01-30-2018 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0