F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 328 days per life
ARMA SPEED

01-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

328 days per life

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...die-crash.html

So if he serves the full sentence, and doesn't get released early for good behaviour, that 328 days per life taken.

Justice?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

So the kids that died were forced into the stolen car, or got into it of their own will? And chose not to wear seatbelts out of their own will?
Appreciate 3
Edinburra546.50
LobB5109.00
SkyJawa3718.50
      01-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
So the kids that died were forced into the stolen car, or got into it of their own will? And chose not to wear seatbelts out of their own will?
Stolen car. All their of their own free will. And all choose not to wear a seatbelt.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

With these things it's pot luck on who survives but invariably they all are involved or know the cars stolen.

These are the same families all hand in hand laying wreaths last year.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Stolen car. All their of their own free will. And all choose not to wear a seatbelt.
Then they were all as guilty as each other, this one just happened to be driving, and was the only one with the sense to wear a seatbelt.

But let’s face it he’s got a life sentence really, you could never get over something like that! I have nightmares about some of the things I did at 15, which obviously pale in comparison to this.

Plus he’ll no doubt need a new identity when he’s released.
Appreciate 5
      01-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Have some sympathy for the families for their losses however the deceased all would have known the car was stolen and that the 15yr old wasn’t licensed or competent to be driving.

In all probability they all thought they were THE MEN driving around in a reckless manner ( as stated in the report) and above the law not being accountable for their actions. After all it wasn’t their car so couldn’t be traced back to them

Let’s be honest if they had hit an innocent car with a family in etc they would all more than likely run off leaving the victims of their actions to die / suffer without a thought or hesitation.

The only saving grace is they only took themselves out.
      01-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Then they were all as guilty as each other, this one just happened to be driving, and was the only one with the sense to wear a seatbelt.

But let’s face it he’s got a life sentence really, you could never get over something like that! I have nightmares about some of the things I did at 15, which obviously pale in comparison to this.

Plus he’ll no doubt need a new identity when he’s released.
He probably won’t give a tinkers cuss.

It’s a different outlook on life and consequences to their actions.

Let’s be fair you probably wouldn’t steal a car in the first place.
      01-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Darwin 5 - Chavs 0
Appreciate 3
      01-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post

Maybe not for a while, but we all grow up eventually and start to realise things we didn’t before.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Whilst I don't think it's a fair sentence, did you never do anything stupid when you were younger? Something that could quite easily have ended with similar consequence but you were lucky and got away with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post

Maybe not for a while, but we all grow up eventually and start to realise things we didn’t before.
He may well grow up and come to regret what he's done but I still think 4 1/2 years for killing 5 people is incredibly lenient.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
Whilst I don't think it's a fair sentence, did you never do anything stupid when you were younger? Something that could quite easily have ended with similar consequence but you were lucky and got away with it?
Plenty of stupid things but funnily enough, not once did I think it was a good idea to steal a car, drive like a cunt and pretend to be Ari fucking Vatanen whilst driving my chums around. Most certainly not perfect but had at least an ounce of common dog-fuck instilled in to me by parents who gave a fuck.
Appreciate 5
teaston10994.50
SkyJawa3718.50
simon.922.00
      01-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
He may well grow up and come to regret what he's done but I still think 4 1/2 years for killing 5 people is incredibly lenient.
I’d say it’s 4.5 years for stealing a car is harsh, the other kids made their choice, and paid the price.

Of course this is still a tragic event, and likely the parents are mostly to blame for them being out of control delinquents, but ultimately it was their decision to get into a stolen car and not wear seat belts.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I was a boring child/teenager but no.

I never stole a car, I didn't drive on the road with no license or insurance with my mates in the car egging me on, and I can't remember doing anything that put members of the public at risk.

I guess I'm just dull and boring.
Appreciate 2
gr4z1135.00
      01-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #15
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
Quote:
Plenty of stupid things but funnily enough, not once did I think it was a good idea to steal a car, drive like a cunt and pretend to be Ari fucking Vatanen whilst driving my chums around. Most certainly not perfect but had at least an ounce of common dog-fuck instilled in to me by parents who gave a fuck.
Yep totally agree, same here.

I'm not defending what he did.

Just thinking about driving my car like a complete tit when it was 17 or 18.

Could easily have gone wrong and I would have been in the same position.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Remind me what Harry Clarke (no relation) got for killing 6 and injuring 15?

That aside, 7 year ban from driving. That should certainly be a life ban.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Whilst I am terribly sad for the families, I see I am not the only one to have thoughts and questions around what the other passengers' involvement was, specifically that they were clearly not innocent bystanders to events.

I certainly struggle to pin the whole blame for all the deaths on the driver alone, just because all the others dies whilst he lived. I'm not saying that the sentence shouldn't be longer, more that we can't pretend that all in the car were innocent bystanders, nor forced there against their will.

For all we know, they'd all taken turns already, or that this would have been the plan for their maximum entertainment... heaven knows what other tragic event with truly innocent bystanders could have happened.

There were two adults in the car too, and how they let this situation develop as it did seems pretty unfathomable to me.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #18
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yep totally agree, same here.

I'm not defending what he did.

Just thinking about driving my car like a complete tit when it was 17 or 18.

Could easily have gone wrong and I would have been in the same position.
But you and me and no doubt most people on this forum are from a reasonable background. That isn't meant to sound snobby, simply a fact that we have nice cars and therefore have at least a reasonable job and have some form of respect for other people. Sure, we have no doubt all driven like morons when younger and experience/skill versus balls was disproportionate.

Individuals who choose to twoc a car, drive like they are playing Grand Theft Auto and ultimately remove themselves from the gene pool aren't usually going to go on to be brain surgeons, pulitzer prize winners or even useful members of society.

Feel sort of sorry for the families but ultimately, if they are willing to be splodged up the clunge, taking responsibility for the resultant collection of chromosomes for at least 16 or so years is part of the territory.
Appreciate 2
ajfoggy1517.00
      01-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Yes literally tons of possible life ending or life changing things.

But we never ever stole from people or did anything bad to their property or possessions.

Companies a different matter.

Possibly one of the worst things we did was shooting tramps, these days known as homeless people.

As for changes of dying... fucking tons of stupid things.

a few school mates did suffer life changing injuries though.

One lad lost an arm breaking into freightline terminal.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
But you and me and no doubt most people on this forum are from a reasonable background. That isn't meant to sound snobby, simply a fact that we have nice cars and therefore have at least a reasonable job and have some form of respect for other people. Sure, we have no doubt all driven like morons when younger and experience/skill versus balls was disproportionate.

Individuals who choose to twoc a car, drive like they are playing Grand Theft Auto and ultimately remove themselves from the gene pool aren't usually going to go on to be brain surgeons, pulitzer prize winners or even useful members of society.

Feel sort of sorry for the families but ultimately, if they are willing to be splodged up the clunge, taking responsibility for the resultant collection of chromosomes for at least 16 or so years is part of the territory.
I don’t know mate, used F30’s are getting quite affordable now! Have you been on the Facebook group?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #21
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Quote:
Yes literally tons of possible life ending or life changing things.

But we never ever stole from people or did anything bad to their property or possessions.

Companies a different matter.

Possibly one of the worst things we did was shooting tramps, these days known as homeless people.

As for changes of dying... fucking tons of stupid things.

a few school mates did suffer life changing injuries though.

One lad lost an arm breaking into freightline terminal.
I have nothing to worry about then
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:34 AM   #22
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Yep. Racing in my Dads 825 Rover at stupid speed with two mates in the car. Crashed it. Not good. I have flash backs about it now. 30 years later!
Appreciate 0