E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MAF question - finally given up?

01-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Bevan
Rep
Drives: E92 320d coupe

MAF question - finally given up?

Hi all, fired up the car this morning but it was revving very slowly, pulling away slowly (worse then when in limp mode) driving anywhere was painful just could not get any power. Unplugged the MAF and now it drives perfectly fine....however EML didn't come on before or after the MAF was plugged/unplugged? So has it come to the end of it's life please? Car has 93k on the clock and it's a diesel.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Sword906
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d M Sport Auto 2011

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Your first point of call is get the codes read.

If you haven't got diagnostic software, go buy a Carly Pro adapter to read the codes. It is easy to use and will help with fault finding. It costs £90 all in and you have the ability to DPF regeneration£10 Service reset(£5) and coding (free).

If you end up going to an independent or BMW it will cost around £80 to check the codes.Therefore it is a good investment.

I would clear the codes and then run the car.

If it is MAF issue, trying cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner (£5) from Halfords. Do not use brake cleaner or touch it when cleaning. There are guides on here or YouTube to show you how to do it safely.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:13 AM   #3
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Sounds very much like your MAF has given up the ghost.
The fact that the engine runs better without it using default settings suggests that.
I doubt very much if it will have recorded any fault codes, as when they fail like this they rarely do, or that cleaning will help although you may as well give it a go as you have nothing to lose.
In an ideal world it would be handy if you could borrow a known good MAF from a similar car to confirm this is the problem before spending a King's ransom on a new one.
A word of caution. If you do replace the MAF buy a genuine OEM one DO NOT be tempted by the cheap Chinese copies on fleabay and the like because you will be back to square one in no time at all and will end up buying a proper one anyway.
How do I know? Got the T-shirt!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

as above,,you have already done the most comprehensive test to determine wether the maf is goosed,,but you will ahve to get codes read as this may not be the only problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Bevan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword906 View Post
Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Your first point of call is get the codes read.

If you haven't got diagnostic software, go buy a Carly Pro adapter to read the codes. It is easy to use and will help with fault finding. It costs £90 all in and you have the ability to DPF regeneration£10 Service reset(£5) and coding (free).

If you end up going to an independent or BMW it will cost around £80 to check the codes.Therefore it is a good investment.

I would clear the codes and then run the car.

If it is MAF issue, trying cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner (£5) from Halfords. Do not use brake cleaner or touch it when cleaning. There are guides on here or YouTube to show you how to do it safely.

Thanks for your advice mate, I've got myself a Carsoft i910 that I've used and I do get an error code of "3FF1 air-mass flow sensor".

Cleared error codes left it for an hour fired it back up and still the same, took the MAF off cleaned it with WD40 electrical cleaner let it fully dry and......yep, still doing it

Looks like it's going to be a new MAF then

Last edited by Bevan; 01-24-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Bevan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Sounds very much like your MAF has given up the ghost.
The fact that the engine runs better without it using default settings suggests that.
I doubt very much if it will have recorded any fault codes, as when they fail like this they rarely do, or that cleaning will help although you may as well give it a go as you have nothing to lose.
In an ideal world it would be handy if you could borrow a known good MAF from a similar car to confirm this is the problem before spending a King's ransom on a new one.
A word of caution. If you do replace the MAF buy a genuine OEM one DO NOT be tempted by the cheap Chinese copies on fleabay and the like because you will be back to square one in no time at all and will end up buying a proper one anyway.
How do I know? Got the T-shirt!
Thanks for your input mate and that's a great idea didn't think of swapping over another MAF from a similar car I'll give it a go

And I did get an error code as per my reply to the other chap so I reckon it's definitely given up the ghost. And thanks I wouldn't want to risk it anyway although brand new they are around the £130 mark....just what I didn't need!
Appreciate 0