F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 faulty transmissions and the overall quality
ARMA SPEED

01-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
Romi79
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

F30 faulty transmissions and the overall quality

Hello,

I have sold my E90 and would like to get a new car. I was thinking about F30 but the more I read the more I don't want it..
I have test drive it at the dealer with auto transmission. It's very nice but I still prefer the manual I don;t like when computer decides when to change gear and I also prefer to have full control/contact with the car.
I have noticed it's louder inside when you drive 120km/h ++ the wind you can hear inside in my E90 it was quieter at 160km/h.
The quality inside the cabin isn't soo good all is plastic and clicks when you touch it.
The streering wheel don't rotate so hard as in E90 they have changed it. But still I liked the car the worst was the wind because I mostly drive at highways (for city I have a wife;s smaller car). It still drives good.

So I have almost decided to go with manual and buy this car. But then I have started to read about faulty manual transmissions in F30 (in other like new 1 series too) and they broke in a strange way "can't go in reverse gear". It looks like a faulty design because then there is so little pressure on the drivetrain when you park.. I even wrote to Getrag which produce them but they didn't answer..
I have found some threads in bmw's forums here on bimmerpost too. I have also read about chain failrues in those cars and other common problems... I would like 320d.

Anyone know if they made the transmissions better in F30 LCI or is it the same? Is it really so common with those problems?

I ask because I usually have cars for quite a long time.. like 6-8 years and I have never had an issue with my manuals and wouldn't like to have.. Would you recommend F30 or is it really that many-issues car?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I can't speak to the transmission, but I'm at ~134,000 km and no issues yet. As for the timing chain issue, that was addressed in the LCI models.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

LCI does bring back some of the E90 DNA that was lost in the first gen soulless F30. I wouldn't worry too much about mechanical issues as you have a decent warranty whether new or CPO. Most cars should be fine but as with any brand there will be some with issues that need to be sorted.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
Romi79
Registered
Rep

To tell the truth noise inside the cabin after test ride and the manual issues have stopped me for now from buying this car

examples of manual transmission broken threads:
reverse:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1217522

2gear
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1028795

In such a young cars... It must be a manufacturer error if reverse fails in almost new cars I still wait maybe someone has knowledgle if in LCI in 320d is a better manual then in pre LCI? As I said I wrote to Getrag but still no answer and BMW "don't know"
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romi79 View Post
To tell the truth noise inside the cabin after test ride and the manual issues have stopped me for now from buying this car

examples of manual transmission broken threads:
reverse:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1217522

2gear
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1028795

In such a young cars... It must be a manufacturer error if reverse fails in almost new cars I still wait maybe someone has knowledgle if in LCI in 320d is a better manual then in pre LCI? As I said I wrote to Getrag but still no answer and BMW "don't know"

You could find absolutely any defect you want if 2 examples is your criteria of a defect. I would not say that the Getrag transmission has a shown a series of breakdowns, you're just finding something to prove that you don't want the car. And that's fine, but just buy a different car, don't make up problems that don't exist.
      01-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #6
Romi79
Registered
Rep

I have test drove F30 and A4 b9 in same day. F30 looks like a very nice car but the manual transmission is bad for me it's not precise and it's heavy to put in reverse for me because my right hand is after surgery and it's not normally-strong but the auto is veryy good. But F30 is quite noisy inside the wind when going faster is an issue for me. In comparision the a4 b9 is much quieter inside.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have test drove F30 and A4 b9 in same day. F30 looks like a very nice car but the manual transmission is bad for me it's not precise and it's heavy to put in reverse for me because my right hand is after surgery and it's not normally-strong but the auto is veryy good. But F30 is quite noisy inside the wind when going faster is an issue for me. In comparision the a4 b9 is much quieter inside.
Yeah, F30 is quite noisy when it comes to wind. The mirrors aren't that well designed it appears. As for the manual, I could see that. BMWs automatic transmissions are starting to be the better choice.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
Romi79
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yeah, F30 is quite noisy when it comes to wind. The mirrors aren't that well designed it appears. As for the manual, I could see that. BMWs automatic transmissions are starting to be the better choice.
Yes you are right. F30 is a very good car as for me except that hard reverse for my hand so I would had to go automatic which works very good.
But the noise.. up to 120km/h it's bareable (but not great on highway) but riding in range 120-160km/h made me tired of this wind/noise on not so long test ride. My usuall rides are mostly on highways so it would bother me too much so for me that's a dealbreaker as for buying this car
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes you are right. F30 is a very good car as for me except that hard reverse for my hand so I would had to go automatic which works very good.
But the noise.. up to 120km/h it's bareable (but not great on highway) but riding in range 120-160km/h made me tired of this wind/noise on not so long test ride. My usuall rides are mostly on highways so it would bother me too much so for me that's a dealbreaker as for buying this car
Yeah, manual is fun and all, but if you better times/speed, auto is the way to go now. ZF isn't playing around lol.

But I can see how it's a dealbreaker. I usually have the radio on and at those speeds, sometimes the road noise is louder than the wind lol.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

F30 is junk. The door panels rattle worse than an 80s subaru. There is so much wind and road noise. The manual gear box is slow to change, very touchy and notchy as all hell, and fragile to boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

What wind? All I hear is the rumble of the B58 growling louder and louder
road noise is tolerable and I have 19s
Cant speak to the manual but the 8AT is great
maybe I'm desensitized or have lower expectations..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
What wind? All I hear is the rumble of the B58 growling louder and louder
road noise is tolerable and I have 19s
Cant speak to the manual but the 8AT is great
maybe I'm desensitized or have lower expectations..
You're likely just used to it, like me. I know it's there, but I'm so used to it I typically filter it out. The wind noise that comes off the mirrors is undoubtedly there compared to previous models. We have more of a flat, direct surface compared to the E9X mirrors.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You're likely just used to it, like me. I know it's there, but I'm so used to it I typically filter it out. The wind noise that comes off the mirrors is undoubtedly there compared to previous models. We have more of a flat, direct surface compared to the E9X mirrors.
You are right sir
i noticed the wind on the way home
obviously my focus was always on the beautiful engine notes
now youve distracted me away instead to the sound of rushing air lol
yea I notice it now
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
You are right sir
i noticed the wind on the way home
obviously my focus was always on the beautiful engine notes
now youve distracted me away instead to the sound of rushing air lol
yea I notice it now

I'm sorry! I thought everybody noticed it. I did the moment I drove the car home. Don't worry, you will become desensitized like many of us.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I'm sorry! I thought everybody noticed it. I did the moment I drove the car home. Don't worry, you will become desensitized like many of us.
heh I was driving today and again did not even notice the wind
just keep your focus on the beaut e ful music comin from the B58
and all your worries will be distracted a-way
Appreciate 0