F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Courtesy car insurance
ARMA SPEED

01-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Courtesy car insurance

I'm in a dealer provided courtesy car at the moment as my car was in for repair. Originally had it for a week but my car isn't available and I have been told to just keep the courtesy car until further notice. It's a dealer demonstrator.

Signed the original docs in relation to insurance which stated returning the car a week later. Since then ive seen nothing. I've been told it's been extended on the system but don't have any paperwork.

In terms of insurance would you want something in writing or would being told it's been extended on the system be enough?

I tend to over think these things.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

You will likley find your own insurance covers you fully comp whilst yours is in for service or repair-

Either way you will be insured through the dealership but can't hurt to drop them an email requesting extension paper work should you get pulled
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
You will likley find your own insurance covers you fully comp whilst yours is in for service or repair-

Either way you will be insured through the dealership but can't hurt to drop them an email requesting extension paper work should you get pulled
Really? I think that would be very unusual... might get third party cover but no more.

Yep, email confirmation for me, just in case. You are the one who gets points if they have messed up! Although I suspect dealer cars will be insured for any driver over age 25 and so you will be insured regardless and the fee they charge is admin related not insurance related...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Really? I think that would be very unusual... might get third party cover but no more.

Yep, email confirmation for me, just in case. You are the one who gets points if they have messed up! Although I suspect dealer cars will be insured for any driver over age 25 and so you will be insured regardless and the fee they charge is admin related not insurance related...
Got confirmation eventually.

I'm pretty sure admiral won't cover me and it certainly won't be fully comp.
Equally the dealers insurance likely covers me as long as I have the car regardless but since the original loan term was expiring I wanted confirmation that it had been extended, which it now has.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Had it on a few polices recently - Currently with aviva, its in the small small print somewhere, I imagine in the hope you take out the dealer insurance to reduce their risk.

Glad it all got sorted.
      01-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
Quote:

Had it on a few polices recently - Currently with aviva, its in the small small print somewhere, I imagine in the hope you take out the dealer insurance to reduce their risk.

Glad it all got sorted.
Sounds like OP is sorted but you need to double check that small print.

What it's referring to is that in the event your car is being repaired after an event they are covering you for (ie. accident damage), the replacement car provided by them is covered under fully comp insurance while your own car is being repaired.

It definitely doesn't include routine servicing.
      01-22-2018, 03:13 AM   #7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
Sounds like OP is sorted but you need to double check that small print.

What it's referring to is that in the event your car is being repaired after an event they are covering you for (ie. accident damage), the replacement car provided by them is covered under fully comp insurance while your own car is being repaired.

It definitely doesn't include routine servicing.
Will check again, was sure it said service or repair, but given that getting a courtesy car from my dealer is harder than getting Americans to believe trump is a moron I'm unlikely to need it any time soon