F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Car Hire in Italy
ARMA SPEED

01-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
Al335d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335dx msport

Car Hire in Italy

I've hired cars all around the world, but no where seems as complicated as Italy.
Advice seems to be stick with Avis, Hertz or similar, therefore looking at £300 for a Clio for a week plus then either £40 of UK based excess insurance or another £200 to Avis or Hertz for a zero excess.

Price comparison sites like autoeurope are no cheaper.

I can hire a zero excess full size SUV for a week in the U.S. for £350.

Any advice from forum members who have previously weaved their way through Italian car hire?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

We did Hertz and to be honest it was a nightmare. The first car we got had a damaged tyre and it was a horror story I'd never want to repeat trying to get it sorted and ended up with untold charges to my credit card that I then had to fight to get back. This was all despite taking out the extra full cover for the week at vast expense (which covered tyres too, despite them trying to wiggle out of that too). The fucking useless call centre has an option for 'English' but if you do that you only get someone who has a very basic grasp of English and no desire to help.

Based on my experience, I'd go with Avis.

BTW, with Hertz, the excess if you don't take out 'super cover' was €2000 or something stupid, not €40, but you can buy separate 'super cover' from third parties before you travel which will cover you just as well but you have to claim the cost back when you get home.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire
      01-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
alpinafan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe Alpina B3S BT

All depends where in Italy you are hiring the car from.
Used Sixt in Bologna October last year, had a BMW 118d for 10 days cost £165
Used Holiday autos, booked it quite early, if the price goes down they will refund the difference
Turned out to be newly new and was auto and had Sat Nav which I was not expecting.
Too be honest the best experience I have had hiring a car anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Hertz in Sardinia were good tbh. Well bar me getting a speeding fine but I can't really blame them I suppose!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

someone run into the back of me in Italy - took over a year to get excess back!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I have hired cars 3 times in Italy. If you price car hire using any of the search engines you will get local outfits like firefly come up significant cheaper than the known players. Google those cheap companies and you will see they are a shower who add charges and force customers to take insurance they don't need and bill subsequent renters for the same damage that the car has had for who knows how long. I'd stick with a known company. Even last time I booked through Holiday Autos. They allow you to cancel at short notice with no charges and if they do a sale promotion after you book, you can claim the cheaper price with no penalty. Print your papers and take them with you. Last time when I went to hand my car back, they printed out papers and asked me to sign them. I immediately noticed the cost was more than double what I had booked at and I pointed it out. Staff messed about for a while and spoke among themselves but I had my printout and I kept pointing to the cost and the booking reference number. Eventually they reprinted their invoice with the lower figure and muttered that the booking site must have made a mistake. I said if it had, they had 4 months to reject the booking and they didn't so it was their problem. I definitely would avoid any of the cheap companies unless you're willing to risk it. I'd also recommend a separate policy to cover your insurance excess. An annual policy for Europe is around £40-50. A walk away insurance from a rental company will be more than that for a week. Italy is the dearest country I have ever hired a car but when you see how they drive you will understand why. They all drive like they stole them and can't park without contact.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
lobeydosser
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d auto active suspension

About 18 months ago I hired with Europcar for a week from Venice Marco Polo airport.
Only needed a small car and got a very low mileage VW polo.
I had my UK-purchased excess insurance, so didn't take Eurocar's insurance, and had no hassle at all with the hire company.
I don't remember the rental price, but it seemed very acceptable at the time.

An excellent experience all round.
      01-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Italy is NOWHERE Near AS BAD AS GOLD Car rental in Spain.
In Barcelona we waited 1.5hr to pick up the car. The staff just works so stupidly slow , it was so stressful seeing them taking their time. They had lots of staff just sitting and chatting and only one person serving.

All car rental in italy tries to sell you this Super cover which you don’t need a hugh deposit if you paid for it or it was like £2k holding deposit and a very high excess.

I also find that usually cheaper rate you need to pay fuel in advance so they make money off you, the option to collect full and give back full cost more...
there is so much extra cost or hidden cost. i pay for cheapest deal and when i collec the car they ask me to pay for the full tank first and they will credit me back whatever is left...if i dont i cant collect the car...

The industry there is so back, but i did saw someone reversing the car and didnt see a post on there blindspot and it damage door panel, front wing and it got stuck between the wheel and front arches. That must have been a hugh repair bill...
Appreciate 0