F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Small ltd company with liability insurance- who can claim against it?
proTUNING Freaks

01-14-2018, 03:21 AM   #1
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Small ltd company with liability insurance- who can claim against it?

Had a real bad experience with landscaping company, they screwed up our garden and in the process ruined our tarmac drive.

I researched the company online and it seems they have valid public liability insurance. They've basically told us to do one and that they will not help rectify any of their shite work. We will seek legal advice for poor workmanship and in the mean time I wondered if we could find out who the insurer is, could we try making a claim for the drive or can that only come from the insured company themself?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:23 AM   #2
SDH
Captain
Rep

Also, they renamed the company now, do we stand any chance of getting compensation in court of they claim that company has ceased to trade? I assume we're f@@@ed!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If the company has genuinely ceased trading (not just a name change with companies house) then you have no comeback.

Did you pay upfront?
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 03:41 AM   #4
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

It boils my blood if they have gone into liquidation/bankrupt you can't do anything.

Have they got the same company number?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:05 AM   #5
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
If the company has genuinely ceased trading (not just a name change with companies house) then you have no comeback.

Did you pay upfront?
No didn't pay up front. Paid in stages but didn't notice Drive damage until they had skip moved etc. The sneaky bastards hid the damage until job was completed.

Well they're still trading just under a different name of the same address but not yet registered as a ltd company. Oh I do hope that's illegal I'll be sure to inform the relevant people if it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:06 AM   #6
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
It boils my blood if they have gone into liquidation/bankrupt you can't do anything.

Have they got the same company number?
Can't find new company registered on line yet but new company is based at same address as old
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:12 AM   #7
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH View Post
Can't find new company registered on line yet but new company is based at same address as old
Have you gone on companies House and looked them up ie the government page?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:35 AM   #8
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Have you gone on companies House and looked them up ie the government page?
Yes it's where we found the old one. I looked this morning after I found he set up a new company
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:36 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

Did you pay upfront?
No didn't pay up front. Paid in stages but didn't notice Drive damage until they had skip moved etc. The sneaky bastards hid the damage until job was completed.

Well they're still trading just under a different name of the same address but not yet registered as a ltd company. Oh I do hope that's illegal I'll be sure to inform the relevant people if it is.
It is legal to 'trade as' as long as the rules about doing so are followed.

What damage to the drive are we talking here? I had a tarmac drive damaged by a wonky bottomed skip digging into it once it was loaded. The fix was really cheap, so not worth the hassle of escalating, but in my case the skip company paid towards the repair as the skip they delivered was not to standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #10
SDH
Captain
Rep

This is the new company name (on Facebook at least) "Artificial grass and landscapes ltd"

Found the old one..

Company number 10982143
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:08 AM   #11
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It is legal to 'trade as' as long as the rules about doing so are followed.

What damage to the drive are we talking here? I had a tarmac drive damaged by a wonky bottomed skip digging into it once it was loaded. The fix was really cheap, so not worth the hassle of escalating, but in my case the skip company paid towards the repair as the skip they delivered was not to standard.
No they spilt cement over it and instead of hosing it down they left it to cure. Looks a right state now they even went to the trouble of covering some of it with mud which they obviously didn't bother to clean up at the end of the job
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is the new company name (on Facebook at least) "Artificial grass and landscapes ltd"

Found the old one..

Company number 10982143
Were they previously called Nationwide Landscapes And Artificial Grass?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

It’s not right, dodgy bastards. If it’s not a large area, can you not dig out to the top 1cm of the affected area and have it redone by someone else? Matched in?

I know you shouldn’t have too and I’m not sure you can even do what I’ve suggested but it may not be worth the hassle and the stress. Get a reputable company to see if they can repair, you may be surprised at the cost and it may be fairly cheap to do.

I hope you get it sorted👍
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #14
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I know some guys who can help you with the drive..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #15
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Do they have black hair, listen to the gypsy Kings and wear red crevats with white dots on lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I would have thought that the best way to involve the insurance company would be to send a signed-for letter to the landscaping company telling them that you plan to issue a substantial claim against them. I believe that all of these indemnity policies require the policyholder to inform the insurer immediately of anything which may give rise to a claim.

I once had to call a random yellow pages gas fitter. British Gas had come to do their annual service on a boiler they had installed as part of their top level plan. On this occasion, in December, the halfwit decided that there was insufficient ventilation and to seal off the boiler and leave. The random gas fitter came out and knocked out an air brick to increase the ventilation, but in doing so caused a large crack in the wall, which he denied causing.

I informed him of my intention to sue. He told me to sod off, but within a couple of days I had a letter from his indemnity insurer who promptly agreed to pay to rectify the problem.

Last edited by JD6; 01-14-2018 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #17
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

You can't just issue a claim to their insurer, as above you can only inform the company of your intention to pursue them. All needs to be in writing firstly giving them a time limit to remedy the issues. You also need to find out if the company you paid has ceased trading and if it has you are on very difficult ground. If they are still trading then a claim through the small claims court is very easy and almost always successful so long as your claim is below the limit for that process.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #18
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Do they have black hair, listen to the gypsy Kings and wear red crevats with white dots on lol.
Well strong Irish accents and they may not do a good job, if they do anything at all once they have your money!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Were they previously called Nationwide Landscapes And Artificial Grass?
No idea
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #20
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
You can't just issue a claim to their insurer, as above you can only inform the company of your intention to pursue them. All needs to be in writing firstly giving them a time limit to remedy the issues. You also need to find out if the company you paid has ceased trading and if it has you are on very difficult ground. If they are still trading then a claim through the small claims court is very easy and almost always successful so long as your claim is below the limit for that process.
Yes I've already issued the trading standards type letter, informing them of my issues and giving them a time scale to both contact me and an resolution date. Had a reply telling me they won't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #21
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Ok next stage then is to get three quotes for the repair work. Not silly inflated quotes as that may put you out of the limit for Small Claims Court which remains the easiest way for you to get some cash. This assumes of course the company is still trading but you can check that while getting quotes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #22
mpawood
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xDrive M Sport

How long ago was this? They must wait 3 months after trading to strike the company off. If it's less than that the company should still be a legal entity and you can raise a claim against them.
Appreciate 0