F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Hello JLR Farewell BMW June 2018
ARMA SPEED

01-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Updated - Collection & Pics P5/P6

Afternoon chaps,

As mentioned in a few threads, been looking over the new MY18 Range Rover Sport. Now agreed a deal via the excellent broker http://www.carfile.net/ essentially near £5k discount on the 3.0D HSE I know BMW forums will scoff but as a new MY18 discount is difficult, local place offering £1k

Post mid-life crisis (now 42) I decided my specification of requirements is actually more of the below:-
  • Nice Car
  • Luxurious (as opposed to fast as f)
  • Able to travel great distance in comfort (as opposed to sporty, pretty noisy and a little firm ride)
  • For the love of god - 5 doors and 5 seats please! (as opposed to 2 and 4)
  • 600 Miles plus range (300 right now)
  • Traverse the M56 4 days a week, 40 miles in a straight line (as opposed to sublime handling and drifting ability for the ummm track and B roads I'm never on)

Obviously a nice spec 5 series or X5 will meet these requirements with ease but I was amazed how close I could get a 'poverty spec' RRS HSE to my local HJChester X5 and X3 offers. (By then I was set on an SAV/SUV viewpoint again).

I wont go into deal specifics but it is less than my previous X5 (albeit the M50D) very happy with the figures, residuals are really strong. Its a £65k base with £4k options for £64ksomething, has all the bits I need, just feels like all the options were free. Some great features like adaptive LEDs are standard too.

Flame away, I'm certain I will be back, but doing my bit for Blighty post Brexit. Below are a couple of the online builder exterior shots, colour is narcotics dealer black and the nice 21s looking sharp....real pics June 2018.
Attached Images

Rbrown2765.50
      01-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Fucking hell, you'll look like all the other Cheshire yummy Mummy's round here
Fabulous Dhhhharling.
      01-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Looks lovely. Have they sorted out the sat nav and technology so it's less like going back in time? I looked at getting one a couple of years ago but couldn't live the clunkiness of it all and I knew I'd end up punching the screen every journey.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

Well bloody hell. Another one!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

What options did you go for?

I had a test drive in one of these a few months ago and was really impressed, so well insulated inside and very comfortable, I'm just worried I'd get bored of it after a few months as there is no driving pleasure to be had, it's like driving your lounge about. Still may have to get one out of my system though.

Will look forward to the actual pics in June
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Looks lovely. Have they sorted out the sat nav and technology so it's less like going back in time? I looked at getting one a couple of years ago but couldn't live the clunkiness of it all and I knew I'd end up punching the screen every journey.
Really this is what always turned me away. It is much much improved now with the Duo Pro 2 screen affair. There isn't really any lag, although touch screen is still not the optimal way to do it. They actually kinds screwed the Velar adopters as it was part of the USP launch...then 1 month later they updated the RRS with the same tech and in a better car for the same money

I actually went in to get a Velar but a sit behind the wheel of both, unless you really wanted a smaller car, it would be mental to buy the Velar as a high £60k or even £70 car.
      01-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque of the Devil View Post
What options did you go for?

I had a test drive in one of these a few months ago and was really impressed, so well insulated inside and very comfortable, I'm just worried I'd get bored of it after a few months as there is no driving pleasure to be had, it's like driving your lounge about. Still may have to get one out of my system though.

Will look forward to the actual pics in June
https://build.landrover/7C1F3AD4

You can see what I'm doing with the black...avoiding £850 for paint and £650 for a black roof....£1500 just for the exterior colour is ouch.

As I say, kept the options really light. Activity key will be pretty useful, mainly its the wheels!
      01-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Really this is what always turned me away. It is much much improved now with the Duo Pro 2 screen affair. There isn't really any lag, although touch screen is still not the optimal way to do it. They actually kinds screwed the Velar adopters as it was part of the USP launch...then 1 month later they updated the RRS with the same tech and in a better car for the same money

I actually went in to get a Velar but a sit behind the wheel of both, unless you really wanted a smaller car, it would be mental to buy the Velar as a high £60k or even £70 car.
Lots of people on the Velar forum trying to convince themselves that is not the case - get very irate with people suggesting the Velar is overpriced form over value....

RRS looks good - too big for me (why I looked at the Velar till I got prices!) - and fully understand your reasons for picking one, its why I went SQ5 (apart from the range!), comfort and refinement so much more important in real life than absolute handling and speed (but nice to have a bit of those too!)

Enjoy
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
gtsussex1854.00
      01-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Post mid-life crisis (now 42) I decided my specification of requirements is actually more of the below:-
  • Nice Car
  • Luxurious (as opposed to fast as f)
  • Able to travel great distance in comfort (as opposed to sporty, pretty noisy and a little firm ride)
  • For the love of god - 5 doors and 5 seats please! (as opposed to 2 and 4)
  • 600 Miles plus range (300 right now)
  • Traverse the M56 4 days a week, 40 miles in a straight line (as opposed to sublime handling and drifting ability for the ummm track and B roads I'm never on)
Nice one mate, I'm sure you'll enjoy wafting around

Funny you should say that above, I'm the same age and as per other thread find myself wanting the same sort of thing albeit at half the price!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Lots of people on the Velar forum trying to convince themselves that is not the case - get very irate with people suggesting the Velar is overpriced form over value....

RRS looks good - too big for me (why I looked at the Velar till I got prices!) - and fully understand your reasons for picking one, its why I went SQ5 (apart from the range!), comfort and refinement so much more important in real life than absolute handling and speed (but nice to have a bit of those too!)

Enjoy
SQ5 a lovely car

On the RRS forum (where I heard of CarFile) it's referred to as the V-Pace...ouch
      01-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Nice one mate, I'm sure you'll enjoy wafting around

Funny you should say that above, I'm the same age and as per other thread find myself wanting the same sort of thing albeit at half the price!
Not seen your thread SkyJawa, I feel I should wade in with some man maths asap
      01-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
https://build.landrover/7C1F3AD4

You can see what I'm doing with the black...avoiding £850 for paint and £650 for a black roof....£1500 just for the exterior colour is ouch.

As I say, kept the options really light. Activity key will be pretty useful, mainly its the wheels!
Thanks for that, did your broker find you a dealer fairly locally or have you got to travel miles, or maybe you're having it delivered? I'd go full black as well for the cost, would like metallic grey with contrasting black roof but they just charge too much for this.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

Let's see plenty of pics when you collect mate, hopefully the waits not too painful,
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque of the Devil View Post
Thanks for that, did your broker find you a dealer fairly locally or have you got to travel miles, or maybe you're having it delivered? I'd go full black as well for the cost, would like metallic grey with contrasting black roof but they just charge too much for this.
You know the drill obviously The dealer is at the end of the earth, a place called Boston... I've never been to. 3hrs drive. Plenty of time to get acquainted with the new girl.
      01-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Cracking choice Chris. I'm hoping to steer our family car in the SUV direction in a year or two.

The RRS is the nicest RR I think, hope you enjoy it.

Hopefully you will stick around the forum.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #16
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

looks nice. Is it much different to the X5 you had though?

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Cracking choice Chris. I'm hoping to steer our family car in the SUV direction in a year or two.

Cheers bud, that is nice of you to say. I sincerely hope to, I guess a lot of us will move over to UK G20 section!

In fairness I have to say, I have learned so much from the combined knowledge of cars forums and some great deals. I always try to share too if it was a good experience or good value somewhere. Let me think:-
  1. Top of the tree obviosuly, the unforgetable Lenzer Torch
  2. My Nilfisk Washer is a recommendation from here
  3. Almost took the TRL M3 deal...well did ....then backed out
  4. DA polisher also a recommendation from here
  5. CarFile Broker the RRS forum - the extra discount genuinely pushed me over the edge (not saying they will any good for BMW but best RRS I saw)

The 'bants' though mainly worth logging in for
      01-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
SQ5 a lovely car

On the RRS forum (where I heard of CarFile) it's referred to as the V-Pace...ouch
Son in law had an F Pace as a company car - sent back after 6 months when Jag agreed to cancel the lease due to ongoing issues. I think they have corrected the issues with the software now as he was last heard talking about getting an RRS...or an M4! (not as a company car, I hasten to add - which the FPace was and the current 530d)...

Yep, SQ5 is nice - ticks all of my boxes. Did want to buy British but convinced myself that JLR is Indian, most of parts will come from global suppliers so all I was supporting was a few blokes in west mids - then remembered Brigand and decided to buy an Audi.....

RR still on my list of things to do though....
Appreciate 3
      01-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You know the drill obviously The dealer is at the end of the earth, a place called Boston... I've never been to. .
Lincolnshire - famous for being a farming community, now full of eastern europeans who work in the food factories dotted around the fens (as the locals wont!) and also the place which vote most in favour of Leave in that referendum.

I hear its where Lobb wants to retire to....
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
looks nice. Is it much different to the X5 you had though?
Perhaps yes and no, certainly see where you are coming from, drive will be really similar and they are identical in size in reality. Just something about the interior, my commute is genuinely 1mile A road, 43 miles M46, 1 mile A road. Its not an exciting drive so really just a nice leather sofa to ride to work and back will do.

Also this time its bordering on insane chopping in early so I've almost priced myself out of that game this time......lets see!
      01-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #21
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Great looking car!!!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      01-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #22
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Cheers bud, that is nice of you to say. I sincerely hope to, I guess a lot of us will move over to UK G20 section!

In fairness I have to say, I have learned so much from the combined knowledge of cars forums and some great deals. I always try to share too if it was a good experience or good value somewhere. Let me think:-
  1. Top of the tree obviosuly, the unforgetable Lenzer Torch
  2. My Nilfisk Washer is a recommendation from here
  3. Almost took the TRL M3 deal...well did ....then backed out
  4. DA polisher also a recommendation from here
  5. CarFile Broker the RRS forum - the extra discount genuinely pushed me over the edge (not saying they will any good for BMW but best RRS I saw)

The 'bants' though mainly worth logging in for
All so true!

I learnt about the 440i on here and changed the plan from 430d. Plus MSport+, HUD and adaptive!

Only got a great deal due to this place.

Ticked off the led lenser.

Nikfisk from E90 post 8 years ago.

Now crypto

Brexit and other banter all fantastic

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00