BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Autocar: Z4 M Not completely out of the picture

01-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Autocar: Z4 M Not completely out of the picture

Quote:
M Performance BMW Z4:

Although reports suggest an M variant of the upcoming BMW Z4 has been ruled out, the division’s vice president, Dirk Hacker, says the door hasn’t been fully closed, even if an M Performance version is more likely. “We have been very pleasantly surprised by the feedback for the concept,” he said. “The appetite for an emotional driving experience is very strong. There is no announcement on a Z4 M yet but fast versions of the car look interesting.”
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/c...ormance-bmw-z4
Appreciate 2
NickyC17356.00
ried791.50
      01-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
LAME

///M it or stop teasing (much like the camo)!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Fast versions of the car?

In my best Jon deLancie as Q accent: "Oh puh-lease Jean-Luc! if the Z4 is as important to BMW as they claim it is, then even the base model should be "fast" and a full M version a certainty. Anything less is bull."

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 6
Maynard3804.50
2000cs3450.00
ried791.50
Finnegan701.00
      01-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Fast versions of the car?

In my best Jon deLancie as Q accent: "Oh puh-lease Jean-Luc! if the Z4 is as important to BMW as they claim it is, then even the base model should be "fast" and a full M version a certainty. Anything less is bull."
Right?? I thought they were trying to make a light and sporty car, but if it's not going to be fast what's the point? Sometimes I wonder about BMW, only thing still keeping me hopeful about them is the direction they are taking with the M8.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
but if it's not going to be fast what's the point?
How do you know its not gonna be fast?
There is a 3L i6 turbo version coming, probably the same engine as the m240i.
Who knows how much power that is going to have when it comes out in august or so.
The new z4 m40i will be focusing onto its competetion, being the boxster s (350hp), the slc 43amg (367hp), and the TT rs (400hp), not only on power but also on how they handle on track/twisty roads.

Indeed its taking them a long time. The e89 went out of production 2 years ago after an already longer production run than usual on platforms like these. That shows how bad the market is for cars like this these days, referring to the truely appaling sales figures the e89 had in the US (usually the key market for cars like these) especially at the end of its cycle. (bmw probably would have skipped the idea alltogheter if they couldnt team up with toyota)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
How do you know its not gonna be fast?
Because BMW said they are THINKING of making a fast version, did you read the above quote?

Quote:
M Performance BMW Z4:

Although reports suggest an M variant of the upcoming BMW Z4 has been ruled out, the division’s vice president, Dirk Hacker, says the door hasn’t been fully closed, even if an M Performance version is more likely. “We have been very pleasantly surprised by the feedback for the concept,” he said. “The appetite for an emotional driving experience is very strong. There is no announcement on a Z4 M yet but fast versions of the car look interesting.”
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Because BMW said they are THINKING of making a fast version, did you read the above quote?
yeah but what is fast?
You expect m5 like fast? then you can better skip this topic.
In the document leaked that showed bmw roadmaps it was pretty clear that an 40i version is coming (so 99% sure b58 engien). That document displayed the roadmap til 2020 or so.
Another faster engine besides M engines... bmw doesnt have that and are sure not going to develop a bespoke engine for the z4.
If an M version will be made, it will be in the facelift generation of the platform, so after 2020 or so (facelift usually takes 3 production years).
What engine /M devision is using by then is still unknown.
If they are thinking of a 'fast version' in the first generation production run, its on basis of the B58 and they are probably not sure what software version its going to get.
BMW is always very predictable in its models. The z4 will largely be a copy of the 1/2 series regarding to tech. My bet is that pretty much from the start there will be a 3.0i i6 turbo engined (b58) with 340mm brake disc system no lsd available. So pretty much an m140i parts swap.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-09-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
yeah but what is fast?
You expect m5 like fast? then you can better skip this topic.
In the document leaked that showed bmw roadmaps it was pretty clear that an 40i version is coming (so 99% sure b58 engien). That document displayed the roadmap til 2020 or so.
Another faster engine besides M engines... bmw doesnt have that and are sure not going to develop a bespoke engine for the z4.
If an M version will be made, it will be in the facelift generation of the platform, so after 2020 or so (facelift usually takes 3 production years).
What engine /M devision is using by then is still unknown.
If they are thinking of a 'fast version' in the first generation production run, its on basis of the B58 and they are probably not sure what software version its going to get.
All I'm expecting is they at least put the B58 in it, that would be fast(enough) for a z4. The comment about possibly making a fast version threw me off, I guess I need to know what Dirk Hacker considers fast to comment on them not making a fast z4.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
All I'm expecting is they at least put the B58 in it, that would be fast(enough) for a z4.
From day one it has been assured that a 6 cyl version is coming. So thats either the s55 (which it certainly wont be), or the B58, or the n55 from the m2.

Using the n55 on a new platform is unlikely imho. They'll get in trouble with emissions etc. as the z4 will have to complete a long production run worldwide.

Leaving the B58 as only real candidate.

What I'm eager to see if a 6cyl manual is coming. The roadmap showed that a production code was made for that, but that same roadmap also showed they made a poduction code for the e8935is with manual and that never came (only on the 35i). So thats very unclear (so probably not in this day&age)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Autocar: Z4 M Not completely out of the picture.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/c...ormance-bmw-z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks for posting the article (both of you).

While it is by no means anything to start hedging bets on, it at least gives a glimmer of hope. Given that the S58 engine and other drivetrain components will be shared across the G80 M3, G82 M4, F97 X3 M, and F98 X4 M, there is clearly a high degree of flexibility/scalability. It may be that, with so much interest in the Z4 concept car now, they are starting to run the numbers and trying to build a case to put a proper M into production.

This is especially exciting now with the increased likelihood that the ZCP version of that engine could come in as high as ~500hp. As I’ve said in the past, when you consider that the base model of the AMG GT at over $100k doesn’t even bring 500hp to the table, and the mid-range V6 F-Type only makes up to 400hp @ $90k, there is real room here for BMW to grab some attention. If they could do a Z4 M at under $70k to start, which is where the other four upcoming M vehicles I mention above are also likely to start, that might turn out to be a compelling proposition.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Thanks for post
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #13
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Only 400hp. What a time we live in.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I could see skipping an M-version b/c you can't track convertibles (I mean, look how many new M5's are choking the grid, right?). But seriously, if this isn't one of their key 'sporty cars' then they really have lost all the sports-car guys in the company. I think the engine choices are all going to be faster than needed, but a stripper-model with better handling (and a manual) seems like a natural.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

M Performance M40i but with a bit more Power.
      07-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #16
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
................but a stripper-model with better handling (and a manual) seems like a natural.
So it seems
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #17
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
M Performance M40i but with a bit more Power.
I'm so excited for the G29, but I'm worried about it missing the mark. (E89, E90, F80 owner here - also S2000 and MR2 for previous roadsters).

A roadster will never be the fastest car, but it should be a PURE driving experience. This is where the E89 really missed the mark, and other roadsters like the Miata, Boxster, and S2000 excelled. This is also the strength of the M2. The F80 is a little less pure, but it's so brutally fast that I don't mind.

Z has never managed to hit the spot, because it seems that Z knows it's not M, so it's never tried to be a pure driving experience.

But I'm going to make a bold statement here. Every Z model should be an M model. This car should be coming out of the gate with a high-revving S engine, M differential, lightweight construction, rigid chassis, pure sports suspension, sport exhaust sounds, MDM mode driver control, and M seats/interior. I'd be fine with BMW just getting rid of Z and making all of these cars pure M Roadster models. That doesn't mean every model has to have 450+ HP, but all the other aspects of the driving experience should be there. (But still, go ahead and stick an S63 in one of them, I'll buy that one!)

Z is going head-to-head with purebred sports cars. There is no room for non-purebred sports cars in this segment. The Z4 needs to be able to go head-to-head with the Boxster GTS at a minimum, considering that it's coming years later, and wow what kind of headlines would it get if it was faster (yet more comfortable) than a GT4?

The early reviews on the G28 are really promising, and I miss having a roadster, and I'm hoping to bring one back into my stable. My F80 lease is coming up soon, and I'm looking forward to a future with a G01 M40i + G28 M Roadster.

"M40i model" just doesn't get my blood pumping.

Definitely waiting to see what BMW pulls out of the hat on this one, because I KNOW BMW has the resources to really knock this out of the park, and I feel like the lessons of the past should be learned by now.

Cheers,
Jason

PS - Really appreciate your insights SCOTT26!

Last edited by jdhiro; 07-16-2018 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

A New BMW Z4 M? Don’t Hold Your Breath

Quote:
M division chief says a hotter Z4 is unlikely.

While Toyota remains tight-lipped about its forthcoming Supra coupe, BMW has been far more forthright about its roadster, which will share mechanical underpinnings with the Toyota. We’ve driven a prototype version of the 2020 BMW Z4 roadster and reported positive early impressions of the turbocharged six-cylinder M40i version.

But while our natural instinct is always to hope for more performance and a sharper dynamic focus, it looks as if the M40i that we drove will be the top of the hierarchy. BMW M division boss Frank van Meel said the business case to produce a full-on M variant as a successor to the former Z4 M roadster and coupe is likely too marginal to justify the investment.

“Let me put it this way: I think the M40i is the perfect positioning regarding performance of that car,” he said at a media event in Spain. “It’s quite close to the M2, so we’re really happy with the overall concept of that car being an M40i. If you would go any higher, it would be very, very narrow in customer groups.”

His statement, although not a formal denial of a faster version, does seem pretty close to a negative. Of course, if Toyota were to choose to create a higher-performance version of the Supra coupe, which we know will use the same BMW 3.0-liter engine, then corporate honor might oblige BMW to try to keep up. So let’s hope that happens.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a-...ld-your-breath
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #19
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

I guess we'll need to wait and see what Dinan and others can coax out of the m40. With the new Z4m40 at 386ish(?), if Dinan can get another 30-40hp out of it, that should move pretty well. With it being less $$ than a true M, that might make most folks content. Though considering the Boxter S is 350hp from a 4 banger, I don't see why they couldn't have done a little better.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #20
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

S55 her!
      08-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
S55 her!
The S55's final application will be in the M2.

As I mentioned in my earlier post back when this thread was started, the S58 is coming soon in the X3/X4 M and the next M3/M4. It is this engine that would be suitable for a Z4 M.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #22
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
S55 her!
The S55's final application will be in the M2.

As I mentioned in my earlier post back when this thread was started, the S58 is coming soon in the X3/X4 M and the next M3/M4. It is this engine that would be suitable for a Z4 M.
Ooooo I didn't know the S58 was the successor.

S58 her!!!!