F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > winter tyres or x drive..
proTUNING Freaks

01-07-2018, 02:10 AM   #1
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

winter tyres or x drive..

And the results are pretty damming for 4 wheel drive..
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 325d MSport

But the Kuga isn’t 4wd. It’s AWD - they say it in the video - fwd till they spin hen power at the rear. A proper 4wd is better in the snow than FWD (i have a proper torsen Quattro) but stopping is no better. I use winters and torsen Quattro but on its own it’s definately better
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:59 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Rather old news really.

Now winters with xdrive v 2wd with winters no contest.

The 2wd comes over as rather poor.

So the best car to get is XDrive WITH winters.

However there is a huge amount of panic with people, we had about a foot of snow and -9c here and my car with summers managed no problem.

I even had a play in our large rear carpark that was fully untreated.

Personally one of the biggest problems is traffic density with people unable to drive in snow of a couple mm, you see that in the south nearly every time there is a dusting of snow, load of fails.

Yes winters need to be used in certain parts of UK, should we make them mandatory, no.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:11 AM   #4
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Rather old news really.

Now winters with xdrive v 2wd with winters no contest.

The 2wd comes over as rather poor.

So the best car to get is XDrive WITH winters.

However there is a huge amount of panic with people, we had about a foot of snow and -9c here and my car with summers managed no problem.

I even had a play in our large rear carpark that was fully untreated.

Personally one of the biggest problems is traffic density with people unable to drive in snow of a couple mm, you see that in the south nearly every time there is a dusting of snow, load of fails.

Yes winters need to be used in certain parts of UK, should we make them mandatory, no.
Don't disagree that x drive with winter's would be the best for cold weather. The point that was most interesting for me was winters 2wd vs summers 4wd... Clear winner on snow driving on an incline. Much more traction, which you would also see in improved stopping distances.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

I wonder how a RWD would have faired on winter tyres. I wonder if it would have reached the top?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Don't disagree that x drive with winter's would be the best for cold weather. The point that was most interesting for me was winters 2wd vs summers 4wd... Clear winner on snow driving on an incline. Much more traction, which you would also see in improved stopping distances.
Hence my conclusion, (years back), that driving RWD and having a winter wheel set is about the best compromise for all year use. The benefits of RWD dynamics, (let the rear wheels provide traction, the front wheels steer), throughout the year. No need to carry the xDrive compromises around for most of the year. The extra weight, particularly on the front, extra fuel consumption, added purchase costs, (you still need winter tyres if you want to control and stop the vehicle in the safest way).

Obviously xDrive and winter/cold weather tyres are the best option for severe weather driving. But unless you are prepared to run a set winter tyres, (or the further compromise of all-season tyres), why bother at all, for our typical 'on road' UK use.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

For winter:

Xd + w >
Fwd + w >
Rwd + w >
Xd + s >
Fwd + s >
Rwd + s

Correct?

Where do “allseasons” fit?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Hence my conclusion, (years back), that driving RWD and having a winter wheel set is about the best compromise for all year use. The benefits of RWD dynamics, (let the rear wheels provide traction, the front wheels steer), throughout the year. No need to carry the xDrive compromises around for most of the year. The extra weight, particularly on the front, extra fuel consumption, added purchase costs, (you still need winter tyres if you want to control and stop the vehicle in the safest way).

Obviously xDrive and winter/cold weather tyres are the best option for severe weather driving. But unless you are prepared to run a set winter tyres, (or the further compromise of all-season tyres), why bother at all, for our typical 'on road' UK use.
Agree completely .. but .. most people on the road in the UK don't bother with winter tyres and for these drivers xdrive is the best choice to keep them moving in all Conditions on their summer tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Agree completely .. but .. most people on the road in the UK don't bother with winter tyres and for these drivers xdrive is the best choice to keep them moving in all Conditions on their summer tyres.
Most folks I know who get an AWD vehicle believe it is a safer means of transport in winter. Based on a flawed understanding, often fed by the motoring press and misleading marketing.

They don't realise there is a flawed logic. Car control and braking left out of the equation, just getting moving, the fear of "not getting stuck" takes priority.

I stand by the statement I often make, "better not to get moving, if you can't stop".
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      01-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
For winter:

Xd + w >
Fwd + w >
Rwd + w >
Xd + s >
Fwd + s >
Rwd + s

Correct?

Where do “allseasons” fit?
FWD vs. RWD is not so black and white, IMO. Tyre aspect ratio & width, vehicle weight, axle weight (front vs. rear) can change the dynamics of traction and grip.

All-seasons, a compromise for those who only fit one set of wheels/tyres. Cross-Climate tyres may change the view of an 'all-year' tyre.

xDrive, as provided to the US/Canadian market, typically are fitted with All-season 'tires'. This has been the norm for years. The whole purpose of xDrive for many users had been to give an 'all year round' use vehicle. Obviously those in the snow belt and Canada, fit dedicated winter 'snow' tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Most folks I know who get an AWD vehicle believe it is a safer means of transport in winter. Based on a flawed understanding, often fed by the motoring press and misleading marketing.

They don't realise there is a flawed logic. Car control and braking left out of the equation, just getting moving, the fear of "not getting stuck" takes priority.

I stand by the statement I often make, "better not to get moving, if you can't stop".
That's good advice. However, my experience is, when there is snow, generally the main roads are gritted and clear. The problem is the minor roads and estates to get to the main roads aren't. All I really need to do is get out the street and it doesn't take much snow to stop you doing that completely in RWD. where as it's manageable in xD.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Any experience of cross climates on here?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Any experience of cross climates on here?
Yep, I've got them on my RWD 3 series and they performed very well in the recent snow we had. I purposely took my car onto the 6 inch deep of undisturbed snow part of the gym carpark to test them, and they had absolutely no problem with traction.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Yep, I've got them on my RWD 3 series and they performed very well in the recent snow we had. I purposely took my car onto the 6 inch deep of undisturbed snow part of the gym carpark to test them, and they had absolutely no problem with traction.
Deep snow isn't usually the biggest problem. What were they like on slush and wet snow?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #15
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

my pal has cross climates on his Alfa 147 GTA.
he reckons the CC are a big improvement on his ex-summer tyres in the winter and on snow, but definitely not as capable as proper winter tyres - but as a one set of do-it-all tyre, an acceptable compromise.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #16
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Deep snow isn't usually the biggest problem. What were they like on slush and wet snow?
Very good .. most of the side streets were slushy wet snow during the daytime, which is why I wanted to see if they handle deeper snow too. My own experience seems to match some of the reviews I've read, they're almost as good as decent full winter tyres in the snow but not as good as winter tyres on ice. Still they're better than summer tyres on ice so still a lot safer in those conditions too.

After using them for a couple of years the Main points I found for the cross climates being the best option for most of the UK if you leave the same tyres on all year round are..

*No real noticeable performance loss compared to summer tyres in dry warmer weather.
*almost as good as decent full winter tyres in the snow
*better/safer than using summer tyres in cold weather/ice
*good wet performance (better than the continental premium contact 2 rft tyres I had on before).
Appreciate 2