BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Costructive comments vs X2

01-07-2018, 01:07 AM   #1
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Costructive comments vs X2

There are a fair amount of input re, X2 - mostly negative. I am missing a thread that has constructive ideas and news about X2 - this is a try.

I am awaiting the supposed X2 M35i, to be released in about two years.
Supposedly with a treatmen similar to X4 M40i, but with a 300bhp 4 pot.

I have a picture of a blue X2 with M-package on the fridge, and after a month or so, I wish it would look "a bit heavier/distinct" - X2 M35i?
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
I am awaiting the supposed X2 M35i, to be released in about two years.
I sure hope it isn’t that far out. Current intel suggests it will come later this year - possibly October.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I hope you are right, but history does, to my mind, not support your intel.

But, if so, there will be a period of own and magazine testing, before I can make up my mind.

I purchased my X4 after driving X3 35i, and hoped for improved handling, with 20" and all chassis extras. Was a bit disappointed, but saved the day by installing H&R and M Performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I like the X2, I don't care how much people hate on it. I like the shape, the lines, and I even like the colors. I'll take that Galvanic Gold with the grey body trim. Practicality of a large hatch, or CUV, but lower center of gravity, more car-like handling maybe. And I'm all in on the roundel on the C pillar. Maybe BMW will only sell one of these globally, to me, and I'll get some special award or something? Maybe a free set of floor mats or my name on the wall at the Welt Center??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope you are right, but history does, to my mind, not support your intel.
Our intel is well over 90% accurate if my memory of the last decade’s worth of BMW product launches is reasonably good.

BMW is already years late to the market with a high output four cylinder, being beaten by their two main rivals by over five years, and beaten by other non-luxury makes such as Ford and Chevrolet.

Let me know if you find some evidence from a reputable source that the new high output B48 is being delayed further. Naturally this would be big news, and we’ll add a link in the “Future BMW” thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I was not thinking about engine - I have no INFO - but "normal" delay for M vehicles.

I hope your intel is correct.

I thought about the M35i version, and believe it should - apart from 300+bhp engine - have following improvements:
-lowered 1"
-more distinctive/heavier rear with a fully functional diffuser and AMG/X3M40i look-alike exhausts.
-firmer chassis
-bigger brakes for improved brakepedal feel.
-more aggressive AWD - pre-tensioned for more reardrive bias
-"my" 20" 310M rims - square.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was not thinking about engine - I have no INFO - but "normal" delay for M vehicles.
The X2 M35i is not an "M" vehicle in the proper sense. It is an M Performance vehicle. You may recall with recent releases of the M550i and X3 M40i that these M Performance products arrived either very soon after the vehicle launch (as was the case with the former) or actually at launch (as was the case with the latter).

This year's X4 M40i, Z4 M40i, M340i, and M850i are all predicted to arrive at the launch of those vehicles as well.

Unless the engine gets delayed from the current timeline based on inside information, there is no reason at this point not to expect the release of the X2 M35i this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

While I don't care for the transversely mounted engine nor FWD heritage, I think the X2 will sell well. It'll appeal to those DINKs and yuppies that want some sort of utility but do not want to be seen in a box.
Just look at the Mazda CX3 and GLA success as indicators.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
Tjalle
Major
Rep

So, World Premier is done with - no news. It´s interesting to see a majority of opinions in X2 thread being strongly negative - for various reasons.

Some referring to X2 as "not being an enthusiasts vehicle", which to me indicates they have M3/M5 and are visiting nearby track each and every weekend. Or darting in and out of lanes on the freeway?

Design/styling is still growing on me, but:
- looks a bit "lightweight". Needs lowering and fat/aggressive wheels.
-rear end needs to be more aggressive/fat.
-grey areas are not to my taste.

All of which I hope M35i will have.

First step in evaluation is testdrive of dealer DEMO in spring-whatever version.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 02:39 AM   #10
Tjalle
Major
Rep

My interpretation of pics taken att Hotell Silverhatten in Arjeplog of M35i proto:
-only disguise is at lower front - possibly because of larger openings for oilcooler - not needed during wintertests.
-openings for air to front brakes seem more effective.

No change at rear, but I hope for somewhat "heavier" - not necessary to test during winter.
Appreciate 0