E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Brakes slow to release - E91 330D auto

01-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Martyn76
Private
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue E91 330D

Brakes slow to release - E91 330D auto

Hi Guys,

Had new rear discs and pads back in November and have noticed over the last month that when I go to move off from being parked my car can be a bit slow\sluggish to move off under under it's own steam, it feels like it takes few seconds for the brakes to release and sometimes there is a squeaking noise if you drive off which normally disappears if you stop, stick it in Park, re-apply the handbrake then release it,

It's not the "hill hold" as my drive is pretty level and it's noticeable in different locations.

Is it the handbrake or is it more likely to be linked to the new pads and discs?

Thanks in advance

Martyn
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

maybe the caliper is starting to bind,,its how it starts,,or the handbrake shoes are just sticking a little,when applied to a warm inner disc where the shoes are located
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Martyn76
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
maybe the caliper is starting to bind,,its how it starts,,or the handbrake shoes are just sticking a little,when applied to a warm inner disc where the shoes are located
Something any semi decent mechanic should be able to sort? BMW indie that did the brakes is an hour away but have a chap local who I would use if not a BMW specific "thing"
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
StuBeeDoo
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn76 View Post
Had new rear discs and pads back in November and have noticed over the last month that when I go to move off from being parked my car can be a bit slow\sluggish to move off under under it's own steam, it feels like it takes few seconds for the brakes to release
What brand of pads? I have noticed that any of the TMD brands (Mintex, Pagid, Textar) have a tendancy to stick to the discs when the car is parked. I've got 'round it by letting the car roll a few inches before applying the handbrake. Have you noticed an imprint of the pad outline on the discs?

These days I avoid TMD pads and use Ferodo. They don't stick.
      01-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

mine seems to do that just after being washed
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:56 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeeDoo View Post
What brand of pads? I have noticed that any of the TMD brands (Mintex, Pagid, Textar) have a tendancy to stick to the discs when the car is parked. I've got 'round it by letting the car roll a few inches before applying the handbrake. Have you noticed an imprint of the pad outline on the discs?

These days I avoid TMD pads and use Ferodo. They don't stick.
the handbrake uses sepearte shoes for the handbrake,,the pads shouldnt come into it,,unless the caliper is in need of overhaul..i know the pad marks on disc you mention,they look like cracks/lines
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #7
StuBeeDoo
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
the handbrake uses sepearte shoes for the handbrake,,the pads shouldnt come into it,,unless the caliper is in need of overhaul.
I know the handbrake is separate, I just wondered if the OP's problem is the pads and not the handbrake as he suggests.

Quote:
.i know the pad marks on disc you mention,they look like cracks/lines
That's the ones! I've never had them since I started using Ferodo pads, and I haven't had the sticking rear brakes after being parked-up problem, either. I noticed it was always worse after wet or damp weather. I also tried parking without the handbrake a couple of times and the rear brakes still stuck briefly.
      01-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
Martyn76
Private
Rep

Hi All

Thanks for your replies, no idea about the make of pads Im afraid, it was done by my local BMW indie so presuming they use BMW spec items.

Not sure if this has a bearing or not but noticed over the last couple of days that the brake pedal has been quite firm when pressing it down on starting the car then slowly sinks, other times it is easy to push down, makes no change to the car starting but wondering if that has an influence at all?

It's also been pretty mild here (Northamptonshire) again not sure if that would make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

maybe get your brake fluid changed also..gonig to get mine done on my e90 in a few months as no documented change in the histeory,,just done my e46 a few weeks ago,,well half a change as thee nipples looked like they were going to snap on two of them..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #10
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Hard pedal on cold start is an indication of a vacuum leak - either the check valve, its gasket, an internal leak in the booster diaphragm, or even a leak in the seam where the two shells join.

I would suggest getting the handbrake adjustment checked. The proper way is to disengage the cable from the lever then adjust at the drums.
Appreciate 0