BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Michelin xice 3 XI3

12-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Michelin xice 3 XI3

Is anyone running Michelin xice3 XI3 tires for the winter? I put them on my existing 19 rims and they seem very float/dangerous at speeds over 55 and kind of slippery in slush snow. I have them on are other car too and they are fine. Just curious.

May switch them out for Nokian Hakka R2 or BLizzak's.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
guelphman73
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 528 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
Is anyone running Michelin xice3 XI3 tires for the winter? I put them on my existing 19 rims and they seem very float/dangerous at speeds over 55 and kind of slippery in slush snow. I have them on are other car too and they are fine. Just curious.

Thanks!
Hi. My car will be delivered in a couple of weeks and I have been contemplating either tge xi3's or perhaps going with the Pilot Alpin PA4's.

When you say 'floaty' can you elaborate a bit? Did you have a square or staggered 19" setup to start? What widths and profile is your new setup?

I have had a set of 18" xi3's for a number of years now on my F10 and they've been great but now you have me questioning what I will go with too.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
TripEEE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M Sport

Quote:

Thanks!
I just had these tires installed on an non-staggered 18" winter wheel setup on my 17' 540 M Sport right before the holidays and have been working out wonderfully. These don't feel spongy and not dangerous IMO. My commute is all highway at speeds 60+ and have not been worried with these tires. If anything I feel safer knowing if there is harsh weather coming, I don't have to worry about sliding around on the road.

Worked very well with all the freezing rain around Christmas and went through 6"-7" of snow with ease. Traction light never came on while driving through these conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:

Thanks!
Both the Michelin xi3 and the Nokian Hakka R2 are proper ice and snow tires and both will be more floaty than normal summer tires or snow performance tires like the Michelin PA4.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #5
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

I think the xi3 are much more floaty than the Nokian Hakka R2 and Blizzaks. I don't have the xi3 staggered and have them mounted on the OEM 19 inch BMW Rims. I have asked our local tire center to replace them with the R2's or Blizzaks, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Guess that is what happens when you have a cold, snowy weather. I have the Hakka's installed on one of our other cars and the Blizzaks were on my last car.

I may have recieved a defective set, as I have the xi3 installed on my sons Saab and they are fine on that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Both the Michelin xi3 and the Nokian Hakka R2 are proper ice and snow tires and both will be more floaty than normal summer tires or snow performance tires like the Michelin PA4.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
TripEEE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M Sport

I was out during the blizzard yesterday in MA and I can say that these tires performed extremely well. The traction light never came on. Accelerating and stopping very well. Climbed my steep driveway with 8" of snow with ease.

So far I am very happy with these tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
guelphman73
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 528 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripEEE View Post
I was out during the blizzard yesterday in MA and I can say that these tires performed extremely well. The traction light never came on. Accelerating and stopping very well. Climbed my steep driveway with 8" of snow with ease.

So far I am very happy with these tires.
Thanks for the updated feedback.

Good to hear!

Drive safe out there.
Appreciate 0