F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Any useful tips on incoming baby?
GetBMWParts

12-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Any useful tips on incoming baby?

Hey all,

as above , I am over the moon but would like to be prepared before hand , if thats even possible. People keep saying sleep as much as you can now but is there anything else you guys come across that was a true shocker etc. ??
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Big congrats mate, we had our first 11 months ago!

One thing that was a godsend for us was a rocking stand for the moses basket, great for getting the baby to sleep, especially if you’re unlucky like us and it has colic! You can also get self rocking ones to save your arms.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Big congrats mate, we had our first 11 months ago!

One thing that was a godsend for us was a rocking stand for the moses basket, great for getting the baby to sleep, especially if you’re unlucky like us and it has colic! You can also get self rocking ones to save your arms.
many thanks T. , I was kind of hoping for you to chip in as I remember you getting baby , then DIY gym project etc. It looks like I will be following the same path. Well , Ferrari got to go as well....... no complains tho! Cannot wait!
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      12-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Congrats.

Assuming this is your first exposure to these.

Be prepared for just how horrendous a mess these can make in nappies etc, changing time can take some getting used to.

I would definitely make sure you have a decent 'changing centre' and one that is mobile.

Congrats again, pleased I have been there and pleased it's in the past
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
Hey all,

as above , I am over the moon but would like to be prepared before hand , if thats even possible. People keep saying sleep as much as you can now but is there anything else you guys come across that was a true shocker etc. ??
Just had child number 3 a few weeks ago.

Child number two is 5 now so it has been a while. You do forget how hard it can be the first few months.

A few things which I have been reminded of since the arrival of Child 3 are:

Don't get them used to being picked up and held. Once they are in the cycle of only stopping crying by being picked up you are well and truly fukked.

Controlled crying is a real thing.

Avoid the temptation to let them use dummies or pacifiers as they are now called.
It might be an easy way to get them to stop crying, but when they get to the age that it is no longer appropriate for them to use it, it can be like trying to get a cocaine addict clean.

Invest in a gro egg.
Temperature is critical to their comfort. What might feel cold or hot to you will not be the way your child is feeling. Their bodies have different thermal regulation to ours.

As much as you or your partner might want to, do not let baby sleep in the bed with you.
For this child I insisted on not even having the Moses basket in the same room as us.
Getting them used to their own room from birth is critical to how quickly you get a good nights sleep again.

Don't be too concerned if the baby does not settle with you or cry's when you pick it up sometimes.
The child doesn't bond properly with its father until it reaches up to 6 months sometimes.
At this stage the baby is only concerned with it's mother.

This baby guzzle's milk down so fast that it results in a lot of air entering the stomach.
We have found by not using Tommee Tipee, Avant etc and investing in bottles specifically designed for this issue (Dr Browns) that baby now feeds properly without gulping in so much air.

Don't spunk money on buying them loads of cloths for Newborn.
They will grow so fast they won't even be able to wear the majority of it.
The first 3 - 6 months are very rapid growth.
Same applies to stocking up on nappies. Don't go overkill as you will end up with boxes of them that they have grown out of.

Main thing is, as hard as it can be you should enjoy and cherish this time with them. You will never get it back and will set memories with them that they will take to their graves.
I know the real fun starts when they get older, but this stage is also a lot of fun once you recover from the initial shock of it all.

Final tip:
The business end of the birth is not the place you want to be.
Did it on the first, never again.
Appreciate 3
rich100874.50
430GH74.50
      12-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Oh if you are planning on being there for the birth, take some snacks as can take bloody ages.

Nothing worse than being peckish
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post

Child number two is 5 now so it has been a while. You do forget how hard it can be the first few months.

Don't get them used to being picked up and held. Once they are in the cycle of only stopping crying by being picked up you are well and truly fukked.

Avoid the temptation to let them use dummies or pacifiers as they are now called.
It might be an easy way to get them to stop crying, but when they get to the age that it is no longer appropriate for them to use it, it can be like trying to get a cocaine addict clean.

Invest in a gro egg.
Temperature is critical to their comfort. What might feel cold or hot to you will not be the way your child is feeling. Their bodies have different thermal regulation to ours.

As much as you or your partner might want to, do not let baby sleep in the bed with you.
For this child I insisted on not even having the Moses basket in the same room as us.
Getting them used to their own room from birth is critical to how quickly you get a good nights sleep again.

Don't be too concerned if the baby does not settle with you or cry's when you pick it up sometimes.
The child doesn't bond properly with its father until it reaches up to 6 months sometimes.

This baby guzzle's milk down so fast that it results in a lot of air entering the stomach.
We have found by not using Tommee Tipee, Avant etc and investing in bottles specifically designed for this issue (Dr Browns) that baby now feeds properly without gulping in so much air.

Same applies to stocking up on nappies. Don't go overkill as you will end up with boxes of them that they have grown out of.

Main thing is, as hard as it can be you should enjoy and cherish this time with them. You will never get it back and will set memories with them that they will take to their graves.
I know the real fun starts when they get older, but this stage is also a lot of fun once you recover from the initial shock of it all.

Final tip:
WOW! Many thanks. Already hanging on kitchen wall in hard frames!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Oh if you are planning on being there for the birth, take some snacks as can take bloody ages.

Nothing worse than being peckish
nice try Mr.R
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
nice try Mr.R
No he’s serious, you need to keep your energy levels up too. The hospital will provide meals & drinks for your wife but not for you! I just took fruit and protein cookies/brownies, plus plenty of water and red bull as you won’t be able to go and get coffees/teas if the wife is in active labour!
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Congrats mate .

Don't over think it just take as it comes and you will do just fine .

Our first son , he was 3months old and he wouldn't stop crying one night and it was 2.30am so I got him ready put him in car seats and went for a drive, drove around town for 20mins he fell asleep came home took him out and left him car seats and both of us fell asleep in front of fire

worse part was Mrs was sleep upstairs without any knowledge of my suffering
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #11
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
No he’s serious, you need to keep your energy levels up too. The hospital will provide meals & drinks for your wife but not for you! I just took fruit and protein cookies/brownies, plus plenty of water and red bull as you won’t be able to go and get coffees/teas if the wife is in active labour!
got you! read it differently. Brigand good tip!
Appreciate 2
teaston10994.50
      12-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Congratulations!

Nothing can prepare you for the life change ahead of you. This may sound soppy, but I found myself more emotionally sensitive after my son was born
I dont take it soppy man , you are 3rd or 4th person telling me this!
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      12-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Mine are now 25 and 24 but now have first grandchild, now 16 months. All kids are different - one of mine slept really well, the other didn't - and grandson is different again. My tips would be not to read the books and expect yours to be the same, join in everything as much as you can, do what ever works (so for example we did use dummies and had no trouble weaning off aged about two..), live life as you did and don't not do stuff because you have a baby, although that might change when they are 16 months and food time is "messy".....

Enjoy the best days of your life - the Ferrari will pale into insignificance compared to the love you will feel for the new arrival, the running costs of it likewise but who cares.

Oh, and you can never be prepared - you might think you will be but you won't!!! My niece produced at 9.30am on Christmas Eve and has now realised this....
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #14
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Mine are now 25 and 24 but now have first grandchild, now 16 months. All kids are different - one of mine slept really well, the other didn't - and grandson is different again. My tips would be not to read the books and expect yours to be the same, join in everything as much as you can, do what ever works (so for example we did use dummies and had no trouble weaning off aged about two..), live life as you did and don't not do stuff because you have a baby, although that might change when they are 16 months and food time is "messy".....

Enjoy the best days of your life - the Ferrari will pale into insignificance compared to the love you will feel for the new arrival, the running costs of it likewise but who cares.

Oh, and you can never be prepared - you might think you will be but you won't!!! My niece produced at 9.30am on Christmas Eve and has now realised this....
I like that and I am hoping its doable with baby.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I like that and I am hoping its doable with baby.
We went away when oldest was 8 weeks old - Derbyshire to Northumberland in an E30 318iS two door. Packing was fun but we managed and the people who ran the small country hotel looked after baby whilst we ate so we could have some peace!

My daughter took my grandson to Westfield when 4 days old, and home to see great grandma and her family and friends when 10 days old. If you want it you can do it - although within reason!
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Make sure you bring him up with the correct values and standards - we don't want him turning 17 and wanting to buy an Audi!!
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
Ozzie_89
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32

I would recommend not buying a big pram, as good as they look (not so much the price) they are very impractical!
      12-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Make sure you bring him up with the correct values and standards - we don't want him turning 17 and wanting to buy an Audi!!
Cannot promise that but deffo blue passport is a must!!

Kind Regards
Audi Fanboy*

* only S and RS models
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Surely you want your child to aspire to the best??

Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #20
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post

Invest in a gro egg.

Final tip:
Some very good advice there. Excellent.

But, I would still use a dummy if I had my time again. You can feel like strangling them (I mean you literally do) at times and a 50p dummy was a great investment for me.

A thing that most people overlook, but one that I wish I had bought would be a play pen. When the buggers get to the point where they can move about a bit, maybe 6 months old, you can put them in there and they can safely occupy themselves for a while.

Good luck, I found the first day home like a nightmare, one of the worst days of my life. No sleep, working all the time, wife knackered, no time even to have a shower/shave. Day 2 is better, and day 3 better than that, but its still gruelling at that point.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #21
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_89 View Post
I would recommend not buying a big pram, as good as they look (not so much the price) they are very impractical!
Daughter has two - a fancy expensive one (Bugaboo Chameleon) because they need a good one for longer periods or to get them to sleep in, and a Babyzen YoYo which folds up very small and fits in boot of a mini for those days when space is at a premium....

Prams can cost more than first cars though (well my grandsons was more than my first car!)

Last edited by isleaiw1; 12-28-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

keep going gents - making notes as you speak
Appreciate 0