E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > MULF

12-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

MULF

So, finishing up collecting all the pieces for a retrofit.

I've been doing a lot, and I mean a lot of reading about the different avenues of doing this... ie emulator vs scripted, programing, etc. and I'm going to go with an emulator at this point.

But I am slightly confused on integrating the CiC into my car. Especially when it comes to the MULF. Do I need one, a newer one, or am I good with what I have and I need some cables? Currently only have the Aux port, looking to integrate the USB/Aux port into the armrest.

Greatly appreciate any help.

See my vehicle listing below and the listing of the donor car listing below that.

My car....

1CA Selection Cop Relevant Vehicles
2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator
203 All-wheel-drive System
205 Automatic Transmission
240 Leather Steering Wheel
249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel
319 Integrated Universal Remote Control
322 Comfort Access System
386 Roof Rail
4AC Fine-wood Trim Poplar Grain
4NA Interior Mirror With Dig. Compass
402 Panorama Glass Roof
430 Interior And Exterior Mirror Packa
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d
441 Smokers Package
459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory
488 Lumbar Support Driver/front Passenger
494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger
5GA Prep. Anti-theft Alarm System
502 Headlight Washer System
507 Park Distance Control (pdc), Rear
521 Rain Sensor
522 Xenon Light
524 Adaptive Headlights
534 Automatic Air Conditioning
544 Cruise Control With Braking Function
563 Lights Package
6UH Traffic Information
609 Navigation System Professional
620 Voice Input System
639 Complete Prep. Cellular Phone Usa/cdn
676 Hifi Loudspeaker System
693 Satellite Tuner Preparation
694 Preparation For Cd Changer
8SP Cop Control
818 Main Battery Switch
9AA External Skin Protection
925 Shipping Protection Package

Donor Car

1CA Selection Cop Relevant Vehicles
2S2 Alloy Wheels Star Spoke 287/mt
2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator
248 Steering Wheel Heating
249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel
255 Sports Leather Steering Wheel
319 Integrated Universal Remote Control
322 Comfort Access System
4B9 Int.trim Finishers Alum.high Finish
4NA Interior Mirror With Dig. Compass
403 Glas Roof, Electric
423 Floor Mats, Velour
428 Warning Triangle
430 Interior And Exterior Mirror Packa
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d
441 Smokers Package
459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory
465 Through-load System
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger
488 Lumbar Support Driver/front Passenger
494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger
5GA Prep. Anti-theft Alarm System
502 Headlight Washer System
508 Park Distance Control (pdc)
521 Rain Sensor
522 Xenon Light
524 Adaptive Headlights
534 Automatic Air Conditioning
544 Cruise Control With Braking Function
563 Lights Package
570 Stronger Electricity Supply
6AA Bmw Teleservices
6AB Control Teleservices
6FL Usb-/audio Interface
6UH Traffic Information
609 Navigation System Professional
615 Extended Bmw Online Information
620 Voice Input System
639 Complete Prep. Cellular Phone Usa/cdn
653 High Definition Radio
676 Hifi Loudspeaker System
693 Satellite Tuner Preparation
697 Area-code 1
704 M Sport Suspension
760 Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome
8SC Country Spec. Release Of Teleservice
8SP Cop Control
8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distributio
840 High Speed Synchronisation
863 Europe/dealer Directory
880 English / On-board Documentation
      12-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you now have only TCU, not MULF, it is providiing basic Bluetooth , it will work with CIC
but if you want USB Audio you need MULF2 HIGH and USB Wiring
and if you want USB Audio, Bluetooth Streaming, Multiple phone paired over Bluetooth, BMW Apps you need Combox and USB Wiring
Greyfox1207.50
      12-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you now have only TCU, not MULF, it is providiing basic Bluetooth , it will work with CIC
but if you want USB Audio you need MULF2 HIGH and USB Wiring
and if you want USB Audio, Bluetooth Streaming, Multiple phone paired over Bluetooth, BMW Apps you need Combox and USB Wiring
Thank you very much.

I may wait on the USB Audio for now since it isn't a must have.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Since my VO will have S322A and S507A, I will need to activate what items in the CiC options or will they automatically activate?

Looking at a "newer" CiC unit but the donor vehicle didn't have these options.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #5
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Since my VO will have S322A and S507A, I will need to activate what items in the CiC options or will they automatically activate?

Looking at a "newer" CiC unit but the donor vehicle didn't have these options.
you will need to code CIC using VO with these options
Greyfox1207.50
      12-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
you will need to code CIC using VO with these options
So, it would be a smart idea to get a copy of the CCC for comparison before pulling it out?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #7
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

VO is not stored in CCC
the copy of all parameters is done when you start ncsexpert and read VO
in that moment it is wise idea to go to work folder and copy fswpsw, vin and VO to another folder
Greyfox1207.50
      12-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
VO is not stored in CCC
the copy of all parameters is done when you start ncsexpert and read VO
in that moment it is wise idea to go to work folder and copy fswpsw, vin and VO to another folder
Yep... I understand that. But this is the part of coding that I'm getting fuzzy on.

The VO contains all the options that the car is supposed to operate with. Does it tell the CCC / CIC what options it should be operating with or do you have to go in and update those parameters in the individual controls for those units to match the VO?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep... I understand that. But this is the part of coding that I'm getting fuzzy on.

The VO contains all the options that the car is supposed to operate with. Does it tell the CCC / CIC what options it should be operating with ?
yes
Greyfox1207.50
      12-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yes

Indebted to you for your help
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Listen for difference in audio quality when retrofit is complete. Good luck!
      12-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:

The VO contains all the options that the car is supposed to operate with. Does it tell the CCC / CIC what options it should be operating with or do you have to go in and update those parameters in the individual controls for those units to match the VO?
Quote:
yes
Yes and no. VO alone will not tell CIC what options CIC should be operating. VO only makes the CIC discoverable by CAS. So CAS will know is there. For options you need to add/delete codes, usually with $ sign upfront.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Yes and no. VO alone will not tell CIC what options CIC should be operating. VO only makes the CIC discoverable by CAS. So CAS will know is there. For options you need to add/delete codes, usually with $ sign upfront.
So, riddle me this... if I happen to purchase a CIC that it's coding already matches my car (except 609 & 6VA), should it work fairly easily?

ie... VO between my car and donor car are fairly well matched?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, riddle me this... if I happen to purchase a CIC that it's coding already matches my car (except 609 & 6VA), should it work fairly easily?

ie... VO between my car and donor car are fairly well matched?
I think that you are unnecessaryly getting sort of stuck on VO. Perhaps because that is the first step. Let me explain something else: usually VO of 0909 (September 2009) is recommneded for CIC. You read about that all over the forums. What do you think E series manufactured in September 2012 that is with out Idrive show for VO? It shows 0912. Would you need to change the VO on this car if I retrofit CIC. Is obvious answer if vehicle is build in September 2008. But what about 2012 non Idrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Read this if you haven't already: http://blog.obdii365.com/2016/06/14/...ng-ncs-expert/
Appreciate 1
Greyfox1207.50
      12-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #16
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
CAS do not perform any discovery
VO written to CAS and NFRM only for purposes of the reading by other coding software, it is like two flash disks where VO stored
no one module will read VO from CAS and decide what to do, this is done by using NCS expert or ISTA/Progman software
so when you are using NCS expert you are doing that
ie read factory VO from CAS or NFRM, modify it according options your retrofitted and code modules using it
by default after VO modification NCS expert ready to code all car using modified VO
if CIC or combox retrofitted to pre-lci car you need to be careful because you need to code only CIC and COMBOX, not whole car because pre-lci modules can go nuts after coding using modified time criteria
      12-27-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VO written to CAS and NFRM only for purposes of the reading by other coding software, it is like two flash disks where VO stored
no one module will read VO from CAS and decide what to do, this is done by using NCS expert or ISTA/Progman software
ie read factory VO from CAS or NFRM, modify it according options your retrofitted and code modules using it
by default after VO modification NCS expert ready to code all car using modified VO
if CIC or combox retrofitted to pre-lci car you need to be careful because you need to code only CIC and COMBOX, not whole car because pre-lci modules can go nuts after coding using modified time criteria
CAS, NFRM, CIC, Combax are all communicating via CANBUS. Coding is done via CANBUS too, and everything goes through CAS. Correct me if I'm wrong. So on this CANBUS all of the components are "talking". They are talking at the same time. If you don't change the VO the CAS won't know the CIC is talking. That is what I meant by discoverable, all I the framework of NCS. That is why CIC can afterwards "adopt" all the default settings/options from CAS because they can now understand their "talking" on the CANBUS.

I have pressed process car few times by accident without any noticible adverse effects
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #18
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
CAS, NFRM, CIC, Combax are all communicating via CANBUS. Coding is done via CANBUS too, and everything goes through CAS. Correct me if I'm wrong. So on this CANBUS all of the components are "talking". They are talking at the same time. If you don't change the VO the CAS won't know the CIC is talking. That is what I meant by discoverable, all I the framework of NCS. That is why CIC can afterwards "adopt" all the default settings/options from CAS because they can now understand their "talking" on the CANBUS.

I have pressed process car few times by accident without any noticible adverse effects
VO is made only for coding convienence so that options list for coding in modules built with compatibility
to enable any function you can not use VO at all
you have to read parameter list from every module you need and tweak it and upload that parameter list back to module
VO coding simplifiers it in such way that if you have retrofitted parts as it came from factory you need only to add one option to VO instead of the reading of every module involved and modify parameters and NCS expert build parameter list for all modules in a such way that all specified options in VO list is enabled or disabled

the perfect example of that if you retrofit combox or mulf with usb cable and aux cable you'll have only to add 6FL option and code modules
but if you added only USB cable but have NOT rerouted aux from HU to combox or mulf and code modules using 6FL options your AUX stop to work because ncsexpert build parameters in HU in a such way that aux is taken from modules on MOST bus and not direct connection
so to make all things work again in that case you do not need to code HU using 6FL but modify parameters in HU so that AUX taken from direct pins in quadlock connector
also there is such modifier as zeitkriterium(datetime) according which some modules start operate in a different way because different modules installed in car in different manufacturing period

also if you do not code using VO or code using VO and do not store VO in CAS and NFRM after that you car will lose all custom coding if car will be at dealer and he make ongoing software updates and coding according VO during maintenance
feuer4275.50
      12-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #19
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. The YouTube video I have is basically the same thing. But this I can screen capture and print out.

Quote:
I'm going to go back through the links I have, but someone has stated that once you have the CIC coded and operational, you can reset back to your original build date. Have you ever heard this?
Appreciate 0