F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Why So Much Brake "Checking"?
GetBMWParts

12-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Why So Much Brake "Checking"?

One of my pet hates, is drivers who keep touching the brakes, for no valid reason.

I've had two really bad ones on different days this week, on the same piece of road. Even on the straights, or slight bends where there is total vision ahead, still keep touching their brakes and checking their speed and immediately speed up again.

What is going on? They have to be on and off the throttle to keep touching the brakes and changing speed.

More drivers seem to drive this way these days, why?
Appreciate 2
Edinburra546.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
      12-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
One of my pet hates, is drivers who keep touching the brakes, for no valid reason.

I've had two really bad ones on different days this week, on the same piece of road. Even on the straights, or slight bends where there is total vision ahead, still keep touching their brakes and checking their speed and immediately speed up again.

What is going on? They have to be on and off the throttle to keep touching the brakes and changing speed.

Some people can't drive full stop.
Checking their speed?

I have to say on that note when on a motorway and I use eco pro the coasting is good but you do end up catching people up going down hills etc which nesitates having to use the brake which is a bit annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

The worst ones are that break when something is coming the other way, I was following one the other week and they were on their breaks everytime something was on the otherside of the road. It was ridiculous!
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Just be careful its not the crash cash scum.
      12-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Quote:

Checking their speed?

I have to say on that note when on a motorway and I use eco pro the coasting is good but you do end up catching people up going down hills etc which nesitates having to use the brake which is a bit annoying.
Just tap down a couple of gears to get some engine braking. Once you've matched the speed again pull and hold the up selector until D shows in the dash again.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:

It may be different in the U.K., but in the States, I've noticed that people who drive this way are usually distracted / on their phones.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
The worst ones are that break when something is coming the other way, I was following one the other week and they were on their breaks everytime something was on the otherside of the road. It was ridiculous!
I see that all the time.

Picture the scene, two HGVs passing each other, both driving about 50mph, the little hatchback brakes as an HGV approaches, having just witnessed the two pass each other quite easily.

Probably intimidated, nervous and hate being on the road.

When it's dark, it gets worse.
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Checking their speed?
I go along with the first statement, for most cases.

I see the folks who check their speed occasionally, but many slow on the brakes for no reason and then speed up again immediately, do it over and over. Following folks like that for 8 miles or more without a chance to overtake, gets a bit wearing.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportySpice View Post
It maybe different in the U.K., but in the States, I've noticed that people who drive this way are usually distracted / on their phones.
Drivers on the phone are usually wandering all over the highway as well.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      12-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

It's the fucktard principle!
Most people are fucktards and have flawed decision making, spatial and speed awareness.
Your welcome!
Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
Mr NSB139.00
      12-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

"drive with the throttle, not with the brakes" is my personal motto, but seemingly a foreign concept to many. Following another car it never amazes me the ratio of their brake usage to mine - sometimes at least 20:1, yet we are pretty much doing the same speed.

Lots of reasons for this. Driving too close is probably #1; reduced engine braking from a small displacement engine or autos that coast; ACC which also activates the brake lights when slowing; lack of experience/ability; or severe fucktardiness.

IMO it sits in the same category of excessive use of fog lights i.e. in the rain or simply because it's dark.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

My dad calls these people 'comfort brakers'. I.e. just checking that they still work.

What annoys me are those chodes that can't maintain speed.

I'll be sat on cruise at '70' mph, move from the inside to the outside lane of the motorway to overtake someone in the middle lane for them to overtake me minutes later.

Repeat process having never touched the cruise controls or altered my speed.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      12-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
I see that all the time.

Picture the scene, two HGVs passing each other, both driving about 50mph, the little hatchback brakes as an HGV approaches, having just witnessed the two pass each other quite easily.

Probably intimidated, nervous and hate being on the road.

When it's dark, it gets worse.
Yep I hate following drivers who brake when a car is coming towards them on the opposite site of the road. I also hate following drivers who lose momentum every time they start going up an incline. Actually I just hate being behind anyone at all
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
fluke
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 and 2015 X5

Fewer manual cars means less control options. With a manual you could downshift to slow down or hit the brakes, your choice. Now, slowing down is 100% brakes so you see more brake lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #15
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Could it be something to do with the automated systems on many cars, even "low end" ones?

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that when I have cruise control on my car which has "Cruise Control with Brake", when it over speeds by a couple of MPH, rather than just lifting off the accelerator as I would, it brakes and puts the brake lights on.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 03:30 AM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I think a huge amount of people are just unable to read the road, the traffic or the conditions and always need to be x feet from car in front.

Coupled with that they likely cannot manage the power output / how quick it comes on etc and just feel the need to dab,dab,dab...

It's like a bloody red light disco at times, you can sit back in traffic just watching this going on constantly.

They never learnt or cannot understand just what their right foot is for and how the accelerator can be used to both speed up and slow the vehicle.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13347.00
      12-24-2017, 05:34 AM   #17
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I was so annoyed on the M3 earlier this week. A Jaguar XF R type was doing the brake dance. It was all clear up ahead but every few minutes tap.. tap tap.. no one was up close behind and no one was in front. As mentioned above I put it down to people being unable to handle the power.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
I was so annoyed on the M3 earlier this week. A Jaguar XF R type was doing the brake dance. It was all clear up ahead but every few minutes tap.. tap tap.. no one was up close behind and no one was in front. As mentioned above I put it down to people being unable to handle the power.
If I'm sat behind somebody doing this, I give them a hand full of full beam every time they brake for no reason now.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #19
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Yep ..Or can't read a number plate at 20 meters away
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
I followed a black 3 series into Chester today who kept brake checking as he went along - perfectly straight road no need to etc.

At the next set of light he indicated to turn right but actually went to do a u-turn (illegal at this junction) - at this point all his blue lights came on so I thought he was off to do a job, but then he turned them off and just drove off as normal.

Wanker.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #21
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Yet another reason to buy a 3 litre engine. So you a can overtake all these twats mentioned above.
I try to to overtake these idiots at the first safe opportunity. They wind me right up, as mentioned.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #22
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

The responses so far are spot on. I've got two more:

1) People brake check when they are tailgating. Since they've left no cushion they are always reacting situations in front of them.

2) They also brake check when someone is tailgating them to get said fucktard tailgater off their ass. Not a safe situation but it happens.
Appreciate 0