E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mechanic claimed to fix coolant leak, problem still persists. What are my options?

12-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
lazytornado
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Mechanic claimed to fix coolant leak, problem still persists. What are my options?

So my car (328i 2011) is still having the coolant leak once I drove back from the shop and checked it the next morning.

The dealer charged me $300 to fix a split hose that was supposed to the cause of the leak, but clearly that wasn't the case. I'm going to try to take it back and have him correct it, but what if he raises another issue which he didn't diagnose or another thing that needs to be taken care of? What are my options with this one? I paid with a credit card.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If the dealer did the diagnosis of the issue and then recommended to you to replace the hose, than the dealer is responsible for the false diagnostic. This is why it is better to ask the dealer to diagnose and fix a problem, rather than asking them to replace a specific part. If you ask for the latter, you get the latter, even if it does not fix your problem.

You should go back to the dealer and refer to your original request for service, fix the coolant leak. Tell the dealer the problem is not fixed and ask them to recommend next steps.

Most likely, something else is contributing to the problem. The dealer needs to figure out why it is still leaking.

Depending on what else is broken, the dealer should somehow credit you for the work that you already paid for that did not fix the problem.

If the problem is small, the dealer may just fix the issue without any additional payment. If the dealer does ask for you to pay for additional services and parts, you should request a credit for the first payment which did not correct your issue.

It is not uncommon to meet the dealer part-way for the credit. For example, I would expect the dealer to fully credit any labor on the first repair. I would be willing to pay for parts installed in the first repair at a discounted rate, since these parts are now on the car.

As a note, service advisors are often not allowed to credit work back to the customer. This is why your SA may not offer you a credit even though they should. They will need to talk to the service manager and explain that the original diagnosis was not correct. If the SA does not offer you a credit for the work, ask to speak to the manager.
      12-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazytornado View Post
Mechanic claimed to fix coolant leak, problem still persists. What are my options?
Your only options are to cut on yourself, or fall to the ground and flail helplessly.

Maybe grow some chest hair and tell the mechanic you're putting a hold on payment since he didn't fix it, tell him he's eating the cost for dicking up the fix, or take your pick of a 100 other things. Really, how difficult can it be to figure out without posting for help?
      12-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post

Maybe grow some chest hair and tell the mechanic you're putting a hold on payment since he didn't fix it, tell him he's eating the cost for dicking up the fix, or take your pick of a 100 other things.
That's a good way to somehow end up with a bunch more broken shit down the road that you can't prove was caused by him...

My vote is find another mechanic, since this one is clearly incompetent.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
That's a good way to somehow end up with a bunch more broken shit down the road that you can't prove was caused by him...

My vote is find another mechanic, since this one is clearly incompetent.
Ah, thinking his mechanic is both incompetent AND vindictive? LOL
I should've used sarcastic font, but if OP is asking what to do he/she is already hosed in life, and no advice you or I give will help.
      12-21-2017, 03:06 AM   #6
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Go back lol, tell them, they look again.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Shane335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90, E36 M3

I would take it back and ask if he will take a second look. Don't go in with an attitude. Be friendly. If he doesn't get it on the second try move on to a better shop.
Appreciate 0