BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
snck
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB Coupe, DCT, CF Roof, 19"

Help--Premium Audio?

Placed my order for a Coupe on Saturday and the car is getting built first part of next week.

I walked into the dealer having decided to spending the extra money on the premium audio. I was getting the car with virtually every other option except the extended leather and Sat Radio and just thought why not complete the deal and get it fully loaded. As I sat there going through the options I just could not get over that $1900 price tag for 4 additional speakers and a better amp so I left it off.

Will I regret this moment of rational thinking? If I want to change my order I need to let them know first thing Monday. I would love to hear from anyone with an opinion on the subject. Did you order it and love it or did your skip it and are still happy with the sound quality? Anyone compare the two to make your choice?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

IMO the M3 as a whole is about paying a bit more to get a bit better quality (ie. 335i v M3).

I don't know if you have ever priced speakers and amps but good quality stuff costs a lot. Not to mention getting installation.

I know $1900 is not chump change, but the base stereo is lesser quality than the logic 7 in the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
IMO the M3 as a whole is about paying a bit more to get a bit better quality (ie. 335i v M3).

I don't know if you have ever priced speakers and amps but good quality stuff costs a lot. Not to mention getting installation.

I know $1900 is not chump change, but the base stereo is lesser quality than the logic 7 in the 335i.
Word

This subject has been discussed many times but the Premium Audio is actually quite nice and very good. It should satisfy anyone short of the 17yr old looking to wake up the neighbors and shake the car in front of him...

Jason
      05-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Not to get off topic, but... Wow! That's great being able to go from order to build in one week. I'm jealous. Do you know if it was an allocation that a customer backed out of?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

As long as you're getting everything else, yes get the premium audio. Considering that the Mark Levinson audio in the Lexus (including IS-F) is $4000, and this is reportedly as good, then it's probably a bargain. I have yet to audition this option, but to have the system integrated into the whole car is worth about $1000 just in installation costs. If you've ever went aftermarket for a stereo, you know that a good one fully installed costs a lot.
      05-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
get the premuim

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Good god man. 1 week from order to production? How'd you manage that
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
The difference between Logic 7 and the individual audio ?... Individual audio appeared to have a better frequency response in the higher frequency band. Low frequency response to me appeared on par with the logic 7 ...

Audiophiles will warrant paying the premium for the individual audio, for me I like my music and Logic 7 is more than good enough ... don't see the "logic" is spending so much more for a small improvement ... but then im led to believe u guys in the US don't get logic 7 ... when compared to the standard audio id def then go for logic 7 or individual audio option ... so if you like your music don't skimp on the option ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

I would get it only because if not you have to go for that entry level system which doesn't compare to the Logic 7 in the 335i. It's a shame we don't get Logic 7 standard like the 335i. I have it and it is very good. If it came standard in the M3 I wouldn't go for the upgraded stereo.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
snck
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB Coupe, DCT, CF Roof, 19"

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
Good god man. 1 week from order to production? How'd you manage that
LOL, what is really sick is that the production date is actually Monday. Car was already in what they refered to as 112.

The dealer called me back in late March and told me about a production slot for a MDCTcoupe they had available first fo June asked if I wanted it. I had test driven a Manual back in Feb early March but decided to wait for the DCT to come to market. Dealer agreed that was a good choice and told me they would let me know when they started to appear in their allocation. I got so bogged down with work I never could find the time to go to the dealership with the wife to place the order. We finally walked in yesterday afternoon and I asked if the coupe they had called me about a good 6 weeks back had already been spoken for. My jaw hit the floor when they said it was still available and would go into product first part of next week.

So I take it I got extremely lucky based on some of your reactions. To be honest, I had already given in to the fact I was most likely looking at a July if not August production date. Now I am looking at a Mid-Late July delivery .
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
DC52E55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
As long as you're getting everything else, yes get the premium audio. Considering that the Mark Levinson audio in the Lexus (including IS-F) is $4000, and this is reportedly as good, then it's probably a bargain. I have yet to audition this option, but to have the system integrated into the whole car is worth about $1000 just in installation costs. If you've ever went aftermarket for a stereo, you know that a good one fully installed costs a lot.
ML system alone is only 900$ option on the IS series. ML+NAV is 4000$ which also includes DVD changer.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snck View Post
Placed my order for a Coupe on Saturday and the car is getting built first part of next week.

I walked into the dealer having decided to spending the extra money on the premium audio. I was getting the car with virtually every other option except the extended leather and Sat Radio and just thought why not complete the deal and get it fully loaded. As I sat there going through the options I just could not get over that $1900 price tag for 4 additional speakers and a better amp so I left it off.

Will I regret this moment of rational thinking? If I want to change my order I need to let them know first thing Monday. I would love to hear from anyone with an opinion on the subject. Did you order it and love it or did your skip it and are still happy with the sound quality? Anyone compare the two to make your choice?
As has been discussed before, it's too bad BMWNA does not give Americans the mid-range Logic7 choice. I find the Enhanced Premium Sound very good, but I have not compared it to the base system. The specs are 10 speakers for the base, vs. 16 for the EPS, by the way. The Premium is a digital system and includes a graphic equalizer. I stgruggled with this decision as well, but decided it was worth it in the scheme of the bigger picture. Comes with a 4-year warranty you wouldn't get with aftermarket, too.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-17-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
... but then im led to believe u guys in the US don't get logic 7 ...
That's true. Logic 7 is not available for the M3 in the US. Not even an option. Weird that it's standard here on the 335, but the base stereo is standard on the M3.
      05-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

I really wanted to save that $1900 too. I spent 30-45 minutes listening to the base audio in a 328 and the premium in the M3. I wound up spending the $1900 for the premium audio. As much as I didn't want to spend that much for a car stereo I would notice the lack of sound quality every time I turned up the radio if I had ordered the base audio.

YMMV
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Get the premium... for 1900 you are getting the best oem option.

And for the record: Nº of speakers, watts, etc don't really say anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
That's true. Logic 7 is not available for the M3 in the US. Not even an option. Weird that it's standard here on the 335, but the base stereo is standard on the M3.
Probably because if Logic7 were offered in the M3 as an option, they would not sell any where near as many Premium Sound Systems (per Edmunds the PSS profit is only ~$170). L7 in my 335i is more than adequate for my driving pleasure. Although I agree, it is very strange that the top of the line 3-series doesn't come standard with an L7 or at least as an Option

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93

Last edited by AZ-BMW; 05-26-2008 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:

Please understand that the premium system is more than better speakers and more speakers and better sub. Their is the software programming that makes it great. Logic& and other high end stereos are much more than speakers and amps.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
As has been discussed before, it's too bad BMWNA does not give Americans the mid-range Logic7 choice. I find the Enhanced Premium Sound very good, but I have not compared it to the base system. The specs are 10 speakers for the base, vs. 16 for the EPS, by the way. The Premium is a digital system and includes a graphic equalizer. I stgruggled with this decision as well, but decided it was worth it in the shceme of the bigger picture. Comes with a 4-year warranty you wouldn't get with aftermarket, too.
I know it has been discussed, but you ever wonder if the Premium sound is really any better than the Logic7 on the 335is? My e92 335i (soon to be traded in on an e92M3) system is awesome and can't imagine the Premium one being much better..........but alas, I would rather spend 1900 on that then the base system since I love listening to tunes while driving.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #19
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

I have the Premium audio with my 335 and I seldom or rarely crank it high up. I even seldom listen to it anymore. This time I didn't upgrad my audio with my current M3 order. If I want to listen to greate sounds, I will just use my home audio system.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
I have the Premium audio with my 335 and I seldom or rarely crank it high up. I even seldom listen to it anymore. This time I didn't upgrad my audio with my current M3 order. If I want to listen to greate sounds, I will just use my home audio system.
You don't need to crank it up to enjoy it. When I'm really driving I don't have it on, but for the daily commute and less involved drivign I enjoy it. The 2.8% premium on my car was worth it, IMO.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #21
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Quote:
LOL, what is really sick is that the production date is actually Monday. Car was already in what they refered to as 112.

The dealer called me back in late March and told me about a production slot for a MDCTcoupe they had available first fo June asked if I wanted it. I had test driven a Manual back in Feb early March but decided to wait for the DCT to come to market. Dealer agreed that was a good choice and told me they would let me know when they started to appear in their allocation. I got so bogged down with work I never could find the time to go to the dealership with the wife to place the order. We finally walked in yesterday afternoon and I asked if the coupe they had called me about a good 6 weeks back had already been spoken for. My jaw hit the floor when they said it was still available and would go into product first part of next week.

So I take it I got extremely lucky based on some of your reactions. To be honest, I had already given in to the fact I was most likely looking at a July if not August production date. Now I am looking at a Mid-Late July delivery .
Are you sure you are still able to change?
      05-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
Tut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe (Sold), 2016 M3

Quote:

I had my AW coupe for 10 days, with Premium Audio and the sound quality is amazing, very clean and crisp, and has good stereo separation... I would definitely get it, it adds significantly to the driving experience.. And as other member said, it's a $1900 option that in the long-term scheme of things will be money well spent. Go ahead and change your order.
Appreciate 0