E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Smoking from exhaust..can't find a straight answer

12-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
RGP-N54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i e92

Smoking from exhaust..can't find a straight answer

Just a few previous points;
- My car's a 2009 335i e92
- My turbos were replaced around 68,000 (Currently at 75500), so I doubt it's my turbo seals.
- I checked my spark plugs both before and after driving, no fuel smell no excess fuel either.
My car starts smoking slightly transparent smoke from the tailpipe when idling and after driving and getting to a stop. It doesn't smell like eggs, so it's not my secondary cats. It's not very thick white smoke, so I doubt it's my coolant..It does not smell sweet either, it smells like gas.
Here's the link to the video:

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline-6IX View Post
that's not smoke, it is just condensation from rain, perhaps spraying water into your exhaust tips by accident during a carwash, etc.

I remember when I deleted my secondary cats, a good amount of water spilled out when the guy cut them out.

don't worry.
Wouldn't the smoke eventually die down?
It continues to do it even after driving for a while. Nearly every time I stop it begins to do that slight smoking.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
prime300
Paul C
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP-N54 View Post
Just a few previous points;
- My car's a 2009 335i e92
- My turbos were replaced around 68,000 (Currently at 75500), so I doubt it's my turbo seals.
- I checked my spark plugs both before and after driving, no fuel smell no excess fuel either.
My car starts smoking slightly transparent smoke from the tailpipe when idling and after driving and getting to a stop. It doesn't smell like eggs, so it's not my secondary cats. It's not very thick white smoke, so I doubt it's my coolant..It does not smell sweet either, it smells like gas.
Here's the link to the video:

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Don't worry, ita totally normal, ots the same thing as human, when its cold outside there's (smoke) coming out of our mouth when we talk, its about the difference of temperature between outside and inside (your mouth or your exhaust lol)
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

The combustion of gasoline produces water vapor, which BMW exhaust systems seem to collect. It didn't get there from a car wash. Long trips help to burn it off. My 540i resonators had over a gallon in them.
Both of my 335s made lots of vapor, especially in cooler weather. That's the likely explanation.
Obviously smoke is another option whether it's from gasoline (leaking injector), or oil from turbo seals(common) or valve stem seals(rare). Head gasket issues are super rare on the n54, so it's probably not coolant. I would definitely check out those injectors if they are below index 11, leakers are common on index 9 and lower. Remember that injector seals MUST be replaced any time the injector is reinstalled.
Where did your turbos come from?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
The combustion of gasoline produces water vapor, which BMW exhaust systems seem to collect. It didn't get there from a car wash. Long trips help to burn it off. My 540i resonators had over a gallon in them.
Both of my 335s made lots of vapor, especially in cooler weather. That's the likely explanation.
Obviously smoke is another option whether it's from gasoline (leaking injector), or oil from turbo seals(common) or valve stem seals(rare). Head gasket issues are super rare on the n54, so it's probably not coolant. I would definitely check out those injectors if they are below index 11, leakers are common on index 9 and lower. Remember that injector seals MUST be replaced any time the injector is reinstalled.
Where did your turbos come from?
I know it might seem that I want a problem to be there but, I really don't I just want to make sure it's not something that's broken because that would just suck especially if worse problems happen.

My new turbos were replaced under the BMW recall. I live in South Florida so the smoking was in 68 degree weather, something I guess wasn't taken into account considering every other place in the States is FREEZING. I just really wanna make sure my car is running fine before adding more power. My front mount comes next week and I'm waiting to order my stage 2 fuel pump and inlets outlets
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Definitely looks like condensation because smoke would be much thicker and linger around a lot longer rather than dissipate.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post
Definitely looks like condensation because smoke would be much thicker and linger around a lot longer rather than dissipate.
My car sometimes reeks of fuel inside the cabin when I'm driving with my windows down and after I turn off my car a fuel smell lingers around the car.

The only reason I'm concerned because this is completely random and hasn't happened before.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP-N54 View Post
My car sometimes reeks of fuel inside the cabin when I'm driving with my windows down and after I turn off my car a fuel smell lingers around the car.

The only reason I'm concerned because this is completely random and hasn't happened before.
That definitely indicates a problem. Pop off your engine cover and make sure the high pressure fuel lines are tight. People sometimes have fuel leaks after doing the valve cover gasket. The high pressure fuel lines are tricky to accurately torque, you need either a crowfoot wrench and a torque wrench, or the special BMW socket tool.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #9
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
That definitely indicates a problem. Pop off your engine cover and make sure the high pressure fuel lines are tight. People sometimes have fuel leaks after doing the valve cover gasket. The high pressure fuel lines are tricky to accurately torque, you need either a crowfoot wrench and a torque wrench, or the special BMW socket tool.
I have a torque wrench, so I'll just pop that open real quick and see if that might be the issue.
Appreciate 0