E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer installed - Lead Acid to AGM battery

12-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Dealer installed - Lead Acid to AGM battery

I realize many have swapped their original lead acid battery for an AGM battery - has anyone had the dealer do the swap? If so what is the name of the dealer?

I might have a battery issue (not resolved yet) just wondering how many have had the dealer do the swap.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Any dealer can install a lead acid battery, its just a simple programming of the vehicle. I've personally done it to my E90. But Right now their a special on batteries, from the dealership
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

This is going back to 2012. I paid the dealer $249 to put in a new battery and register it. I asked about getting a black AGM battery from the M3. They said the battery was $50 more, but they would charge $100 more labor to code it. So even they said it's not worth it, $249 vs. $249 plus $150. Today, seems like everyone has Carly and they could easily do it (not me don't have it)....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
This is going back to 2012. I paid the dealer $249 to put in a new battery and register it. I asked about getting a black AGM battery from the M3. They said the battery was $50 more, but they would charge $100 more labor to code it. So even they said it's not worth it, $249 vs. $249 plus $150. Today, seems like everyone has Carly and they could easily do it (not me don't have it)....
100 dollars to code it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys.

I know there are a lot of battery threads here - wondering who had an original lead acid battery and had the dealer swap it for an AGM replacement. I know many have done it on their own with no issues, that's not the point of my question. It's a dealer issue which I'll get into later (I ordinarily avoid dealers like the plague).

I searched a bunch of threads, apologies if I missed it. If the dealer swapped it for AGM what was the name of the dealer?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Thanks guys.

I know there are a lot of battery threads here - wondering who had an original lead acid battery and had the dealer swap it for an AGM replacement. I know many have done it on their own with no issues, that's not the point of my question. It's a dealer issue which I'll get into later (I ordinarily avoid dealers like the plague).

I searched a bunch of threads, apologies if I missed it. If the dealer swapped it for AGM what was the name of the dealer?

Thanks again.
I think our point is that "any" dealer should do it, the only difference is on top of programming/registering, they need to code the car for AGM, which is an extra charge...if that's what you want a dealer should just advise you of the additional cost, and then do it if you agree...the benefit is questionable, our aunt had the original white battery in her car for over 10 years...
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep

This is for my 128i. A couple months ago I replaced my lead acid with an AGM and had it registered at a BMW indy garage.

The other day I got the yellow "car on a lift" message briefly however the car runs perfect. My code reader shows no codes. Because they are a couple of minutes from my work I stopped by the dealer to have them pull any possible codes. There weren't any.

I mentioned the battery swap and they are telling me they've never heard of a car that came with a lead acid swapped for an AGM - that was done by the dealer network. I find that hard to believe.

They said it might be a possible IBS issue, too.

Just wondering if the dealer installs AGMs in cars that didn't come with them. I'd love to have dealer names as a reference.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Just wondering if the dealer installs AGMs in cars that didn't come with them. I'd love to have dealer names as a reference.
What difference does it make!? If your current stealership isn't knowledgeable enough to know the difference between SLA and AGM interchangeability what makes you think they'll care if you give them the name of some random dealership thousands of miles away? As if the one random dumbass service writer you've been dealing with will actually call to confirm and/or actually learn something that day.

If you're concerned, just try a different dealer...or go to a well respected indy to confirm proper coding/programming.

Second, stop with the wild goose chase..."car on a lift" is a service reminder, not a trouble code. No need to create issues for yourself if none actually exist.

Last edited by FCobra94; 12-08-2017 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
What difference does it make!? If they aren't knowledgeable enough to know the difference between SLA and AGM interchangeability what makes you think they'll care if you give them the name of some random dealership? As if the one random service writer you've been dealing with will actually call to confirm and/or actually learn something.

If you're concerned, just try a different dealer...or go to a well respected indy to confirm proper coding/programming.

Second, stop with the wild goose chase...Google...."car on a lift" is a service reminder, not a trouble code.
Third, find a new indie. Like I've said, it would have cost me roughly $149 more for a AGM, back in 2012. Doesn't sound like much, but when there's little benefit, and it's 149/249, that is a lot. SA said it's not worth it, but it's up to you. Actually, the SA said you don't need a battery at all, why are you asking us to replace it? Hindsight is 20/20. I didn't care about the load test results, and just said hey it's 6 y.o. let me just replace it proactively. Meanwhile, my aunt's failed at over 10 years on her E90 330

p.s. my wife just had a 84 mo. Bosch battery fail at 20 mos. Sure, replaced for free, but, you can see that the quality isn't anywhere near the original BMW from Germany. I get we all want what we want sometimes, but it does lead to wasting time and money....
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
"car on a lift" is a service reminder, not a trouble code. No need to create issues for yourself if none actually exist.
Of my cars (one older BMW and two old 911s), the 128i is the newest with the most warning lights and service reminders, etc. When I first saw symbol my first thought was that it's simply a service reminder. I do all my own work on my cars so it really didn't phase me.

Since I have a 700 mile trip coming up this weekend I thought I should look in the owner's manual and it says nothing about service but rather "Have the system in question checked without delay". Nothing was jiving with what the light and manual reference was saying. As I stated I hate dealers and try to avoid them but they said they would read the key codes for free - however no codes came up.

I'm simply trying to gather more info as to whether the SA and the Service Manager I spoke with are blowing smoke up my a$$ or not and which direction I want to proceed. The next closest dealer (not that I care to visit another one) is nowhere near me so that's not a great option.

Thanks all...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I'm having the same yellow car on a lift reminder now that my battery is low during the cold. All services are not due for many months, so I'm assuming it's related to the bad battery...

Picking up an AGM battery from the dealer later today. Hopefully after coding that annoying startup warning goes away.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0