BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
dk10438
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Is Lane change assist available for Dec builds??

Hi
I recently ordered an M40i (week 51 build) with drivers assistance plus and would like to to know if anyone can verify or refute whether or not it will come with lane change assist. On the production report it lists ZDB, driving assistance plus package 5AT but doesn't break it down as to what that includes.

I contacted the BMW "genius" and he didn't know what I was talking about and had to ask someone else. They concluded that the youtube video was a european video and that lane change assist is NOT available for the US market. However, I have read contradictory statements on bimmerpost where it will be available for cars built after week 49??

Can anyone confirm or refute that lane change assist will be coming to the US and if so, which builds it will involve??
Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I asked my CA that very question. I had relied upon the video posted to the BMW Canada website which clearly says that as of December it will be included. I received the following reply

" Your car will have the Active Lane Departure assist"

it is a December build.

I would say the the new X3 is like a box of chocolates, "you never know what your are going to get".
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I asked my CA that very question. I had relied upon the video posted to the BMW Canada website which clearly says that as of December it will be included. I received the following reply

" Your car will have the Active Lane Departure assist"

it is a December build.

I would say the the new X3 is like a box of chocolates, "you never know what your are going to get".

Is active lane departure assist the same as lane change assist? My november build automatically assists to keep my car from departing the lane.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
dk10438
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Is active lane departure assist the same as lane change assist? My november build automatically assists to keep my car from departing the lane.
no, lane change assist is different. basically when you're on the highway, you activate the turn indicator and the car will change lanes automatically if it is safe.

lane departure assist= keep the car in the lane
lane change assist= automatically change lanes if safe
Appreciate 2
SamS865.50
      12-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, one keeps you in the lane and the other helps you to change lanes. When you are in adaptive cruise control, hold the turn signal lever down and the car will confirm that it is safe to change lanes and if it is, make the lane change.

I do not think that any additional hardware is required, it seems to be software only. So perhaps it is just a matter of a firmware upgrade, or maybe just dare I say, coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk10438 View Post
no, lane change assist is different. basically when you're on the highway, you activate the turn indicator and the car will change lanes automatically if it is safe.

lane departure assist= keep the car in the lane
lane change assist= automatically change lanes if safe
Thanks. I'm aware of the features, just not the names. It sounded as though they were being referred to as synonyms, at least by the dealer if nobody else.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks. I'm aware of the features, just not the names. It sounded as though they were being referred to as synonyms, at least by the dealer if nobody else.
Yeah, I think BMW does a poor job of labeling the various features. Too many options have names that sound too similar (at least for my old brain). Too many adjectives like "adaptive" and "assist" are used for similar options.
Appreciate 1
Slalom506.50
      07-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Yes, one keeps you in the lane and the other helps you to change lanes. When you are in adaptive cruise control, hold the turn signal lever down and the car will confirm that it is safe to change lanes and if it is, make the lane change.

I do not think that any additional hardware is required, it seems to be software only. So perhaps it is just a matter of a firmware upgrade, or maybe just dare I say, coding.
I could swear my 19 M40i did change a lane one time about 6 months ago. I've since tried it a few times and it doesn't do it anymore.
What exactly is the sequence needed to get it to work?
I know I only need to hold the turn signal lever to the resistance point. Of course adaptive cruise is activated. Does the active lane keep assistant need to be also selected in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #9
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

I could swear my 19 M40i did change a lane one time about 6 months ago. I've since tried it a few times and it doesn't do it anymore.
What exactly is the sequence needed to get it to work?
I know I only need to hold the turn signal lever to the resistance point. Of course adaptive cruise is activated. Does the active lane keep assistant need to be also selected in iDrive?
Yes, LKA is essential. The physical barrier is questionable, it worked for me without that.
Attached Images

07-27-2019, 04:10 AM   #10
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

AFAIK, this feature has been available since Dec 2017 and has also been advertised in the initial launch video. Check out the link at current time.

Name:  lane-change-assist.png
Views: 522
Size:  612.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
JamnX3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
I don't think this available in the US, right?
Appreciate 0