THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing First experience and Time slip at Drag

11-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

First experience and Time slip at Drag

Here is my best time slip and I ran several 12.3s so seems this was average time with my setup at the drag. It was my very first time ever lining up on the tree and racing for a 1/4mi time slip. From what I'm told I had a great reaction time, this is really what most important from what I'm told. I learned that it dosnt matter who has a faster 1/4mi but who crosses finish line first. This was a pro tree.

Since I know that I will probably get the typical response of "this is racing", I'm asking to learn about the etiquette and if this is frowned upon or widely accepted, not to complain. So, I signed up for the 12s index class and my first race was against a corvette that murdered me so bad I had to ask myself if that is really a 12s car? Well turns out its a 9-10s vette that I raced. While he won perfectly legal, I'm curious to know is it right racing a 12s class with a lets say 10sec car? When I say he murdered me, his vette made my car look like I was going backwards, not just pulling ahead like a vette normally does on top end when I race one that is similar in power. He was running 12.3s at 135mph while I was at 112 12.3 but that's irrelevant I suppose.

All and all I was very happy with my times and had a blast racing my first ever event. Learned so much and hope to do again, but, Ill have a PS2 and PI next time

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Bracket racing is F'd up this way, lol. But if I were you I'd sign up for the 13s class, and just lift/brake just before the trap mark just to be sure you don't "break", just as the 'Vette must have. A 135 trap 12s car? Don't think so, he's playing the game too!
      11-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Bracket racing is F'd up this way, lol. But if I were you I'd sign up for the 13s class, and just lift/brake just before the trap mark just to be sure you don't "break", just as the 'Vette must have. A 135 trap 12s car? Don't think so, he's playing the game too!
So as the saying goes if you cant beat them, join em.. lol There was another car that qualified in 12s class and lost first round. So he jumped over to the 11sec class and ran an 11.2s and won the class. How can you qualify for a slower class then win in another faster class? Idk, I'm just trying to learn this stuff, but is this what the world of racing is? Seems like racing comes second to knowing how to play the game to win.. Again nothing wrong if that's whats accepted
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
So as the saying goes if you cant beat them, join em.. lol There was another car that qualified in 12s class and lost first round. So he jumped over to the 11sec class and ran an 11.2s and won the class. How can you qualify for a slower class then win in another faster class? Idk, I'm just trying to learn this stuff, but is this what the world of racing is? Seems like racing comes second to knowing how to play the game to win.. Again nothing wrong if that's whats accepted
Yea every type of racing has it's own method of attack. 1/4 mile racing is just the start.

Ever watch Nascar? or F1? Tires/Fuel strategies are everything, not sole lap times.. Just an example, but basically you want to be as fast or faster than the class you're racing in. So it would be my opinion, in your case, to run the 13s class and brake check or lift off, half way down once you get ahead of the competition to avoid "breaking" the 13s time limitation.

I'm no 1/4 guru, I may have it wrong, but when I used to go to the strip, this is what happened in most cases. You could hear them lift off and depending on the car you could see brake lights half way down the strip, lol
      11-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Yea every type of racing has it's own method of attack. 1/4 mile racing is just the start.

Ever watch Nascar? or F1? Tires/Fuel strategies are everything, not sole lap times.. Just an example, but basically you want to be as fast or faster than the class you're racing in. So it would be my opinion, in your case, to run the 13s class and brake check or lift off, half way down once you get ahead of the competition to avoid "breaking" the 13s time limitation.

I'm no 1/4 guru, I may have it wrong, but when I used to go to the strip, this is what happened in most cases. You could hear them lift off and depending on the car you could see brake lights half way down the strip, lol
Ok I see then. I mean I can understand that logic and makes sense to me for someone to move 1 class up to run lowest time in that class. But to run a 9 sec car in a 12sec class lmao . This wasnt bracket racing so from my understanding all he'd have to do is pace me and and stock his nose out to win without breaking out. Not hard to do with a 9sec car .. but I digress.

This is all a good learning experience
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
JP's M2xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i x drive conv

It sounds like you were "index racing" versus "bracket racing". In index racing, the goal is to run as close to the index (in this case 12.00 seconds) without going too fast or breaking out. Many competitors will have cars much faster than the index, they get a huge jump on their competitor and then play the game at the finish line, hard on the brakes. It can be frustrating but legal unfortunately.

If you can find a bracket race you won't be on a pro tree, there will be a staggered start with all of the yellow lights coming down one at a time. In bracket racing you pick the time you are going to run (your dial-in) and put it on your windshield. If you pick 12:30 you can't run faster than that. And if the guy in the other lane has 11:00 on his windshield then you will get the green light 1.3 seconds before he does, the idea is to make it dead even at the finish line.

Sorry that was so long but hope it helps! Go have fun, it's way too cold for that where I am!!!
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
SerenVoX145.00
      12-01-2017, 04:35 AM   #7
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP's M2xx View Post
It sounds like you were "index racing" versus "bracket racing". In index racing, the goal is to run as close to the index (in this case 12.00 seconds) without going too fast or breaking out. Many competitors will have cars much faster than the index, they get a huge jump on their competitor and then play the game at the finish line, hard on the brakes. It can be frustrating but legal unfortunately.

If you can find a bracket race you won't be on a pro tree, there will be a staggered start with all of the yellow lights coming down one at a time. In bracket racing you pick the time you are going to run (your dial-in) and put it on your windshield. If you pick 12:30 you can't run faster than that. And if the guy in the other lane has 11:00 on his windshield then you will get the green light 1.3 seconds before he does, the idea is to make it dead even at the finish line.

Sorry that was so long but hope it helps! Go have fun, it's way too cold for that where I am!!!
Thank you Jp! This is spot on to what I've learned. Yep, it was index racing. I haven't done bracket racing yet and that sounds like a much better race, rather then playing a brake game at the end. Here in TX is not to bad =)
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      12-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
JP's M2xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i x drive conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
Thank you Jp! This is spot on to what I've learned. Yep, it was index racing. I haven't done bracket racing yet and that sounds like a much better race, rather then playing a brake game at the end. Here in TX is not to bad =)
You will still play the braking game at the finish line in bracket racing!!! The one thing that some people prefer about index racing is that both cars leave the starting line at the same time. In bracket racing it is a staggered start.

If you are way ahead (for whatever reason) in a bracket race you definitely want to slow at the finish so that you don't break out though!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

20 years plus drag racing - Index in my opinion is no fun at all - all sort of computer stuff can be used to adjust time to hit the number - At least in Bracket racing you can set your time - even then you really have no know how of figure track conditions, Density altitude etc so as you dial in your number you can take all this into account - ie gets hot and humid in the afternoon your morning test times will need to be adjusted - One thing I have learned is a good bracket racer with automatic will beat a stick every time - but I still have more fun with the stick - and remember it is all about having fun!!!! by the way those are good times - wife drives a new M240 and stock in was 12.5 - I expect her with tune and some other nods to be high 11 - I have a 2000 Camaro ll sec car but stick and she will beat me dial bracket almost every time even tho we are pretty close on cutting the light usually .0 something
Appreciate 2