E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Endlinks for Air Setups?

11-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Probably broken

Endlinks for Air Setups?

What kind of front sway bar endlinks are the folks with airsuspension running? I bagged my 335, but first moment pulling out of garage, both sides oem end links snapped in half. I've rechecked my installation and everything seems fine, I even ensured the mounting point for the endlink onto the front strut was identical in location to the oem strut. Figured the height difference is what compromised the endlink. I've been looking at adjustable Hotchkis endlinks, if anyone has any experience on this I would appreciate it!
      11-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

What struts are you using? All Airlift?

My endlinks and others are OEM length with no issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
What struts are you using? All Airlift?

My endlinks and others are OEM length with no issue.
Airlift front struts. The rear bags are sleeve BagRiders, but there has been no issue whatsoever with the rear. That's interesting, I am not sure as to why my end links snapped. By any chance do you have pictures of the front struts mounted?
      11-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

The tab on the strut goes in the split of the hub, that's how you know it's located correctly.

What pressure do you have to run on the rears? Can't imagine having a sleeve on the back of these!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 01:30 AM   #5
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The tab on the strut goes in the split of the hub, that's how you know it's located correctly.

What pressure do you have to run on the rears? Can't imagine having a sleeve on the back of these!
I'll double check my installation of the front struts. I'll grab pictures while I'm at it.

I have to inflate them to roughly around 100 psi for the sleeve to fill up before the rear goes up at all. But after that, its just like a normal bag, I can drop to 70-ish psi for extreme flush fit, but I'm usually around 105-115 for highway/city driving (San Jose has terrible roads)
      11-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

You want to be careful running a sleeve bag over 100psi as I've heard a lot of people have issues with them at high pressure.

Double bellow I run at 70-80 PSI, 95-100 is all the way up.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You want to be careful running a sleeve bag over 100psi as I've heard a lot of people have issues with them at high pressure.

Double bellow I run at 70-80 PSI, 95-100 is all the way up.
What kind of issues arise with sleeve bags? I haven't experienced anything unusual with the pressure I run, on these 115-125 psi is as high as the car will go. 70-80 is incredibly low for to daily drive. Do you have Airlift bags and management?
      11-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Sleeve's don't seem to last that long when running high pressures like that, seals blowing etc, they're only really designed for small light cars.

On my Airlift Double Bellow rear bags 80 psi is tyre level with arch.

From what I've read sleeves aren't that great ride quality wise either.

I have the complete Airlift kit that they sell, including different lower control and toe arm.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #9
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sleeve's don't seem to last that long when running high pressures like that, seals blowing etc, they're only really designed for small light cars.

On my Airlift Double Bellow rear bags 80 psi is tyre level with arch.

From what I've read sleeves aren't that great ride quality wise either.

I have the complete Airlift kit that they sell, including different lower control and toe arm.
I am satisfied with the ride quality from sleeves. To me it's not a nuisance, but then again just my rears are sleeves.

Attached I'll put a picture of my front passenger side strut, the bracket for the endlink is hardly visible/behind the strut. the picture was taken perpendicular to the rotor and wheel well. Does this look correctly positioned? Or do I need to give it another rotation/adjustment/switch left and right struts?

I have bought new adjustable Hotchkis endlinks. I just want to be sure I have the struts correctly positioned before installing these in order to avoid similar issues
Attached Images

01-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Hard to tell from that photo, the damper has a little tab that fits in to the groove of the hub.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hard to tell from that photo, the damper has a little tab that fits in to the groove of the hub.
Forgot to update you. But I bought some adjustable Hotchkis links and shortened as far as they go. They barely fit, very tight fit, I can't adjust at all. Sway bar is more than likely preloaded, but this isn't a big concern for me.

Other than that, haven't had any issues with them as of now. But in the future I will be looking for shorter links so I can install and properly adjust to remove preload on sway bar.
      03-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #12
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

You don't want shorter you want longer. Otherwise when it airs out you'll get stuck on the ARB.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You don't want shorter you want longer. Otherwise when it airs out you'll get stuck on the ARB.
What is ARB? Also, ideally I would want to have longer ones, but the Hotchkis I have now barely fit, even at their shortest adjustment