BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i, a few thoughts

I finally got to get hands on the new 2018 X3 M40i and even a test drive at my local dealership. While overall it is better looking and more powerful than my 2011 X3 35i M-Sport, there are a few annoyances:

1. No ///M steering wheel. It may have a "sport" steering wheel, it is not an ///M wheel and is different than what is available on the X5M, M3, etc. Should be an option to get the real ///M wheel, but there is no option for that, despite all the ///M logos all over the place. I prefer the ///M wheel.

2. Rear badging looks cheap in person, swapping the X3 to the driver's side in a different font and a large ///M40i on the passengers side. Should have kept the X3 on the passenger's side in the same font as other X3's and put the ///M40i on the side like they have on other models.

3. Driver's seating position...something just felt off. I didnt measure anything, but it almost felt like the dash was higher in the new X3, throwing off the sight lines from the driver's seat.

4. Exhaust note was great, esp in sport mode.

5. New displays, both HUD and Nav, were very good.

6. Rear seats can recline slightly, more of a gimmick in my opinion.

Beyond that, there wasnt much that was significantly different, good or bad, to the F25 in my opinion.

I did notice the new X3's have an active grill, they open or close, but the salesperson I spoke with didnt know what triggered them to open or close other than if the engine was on. But then again, she didnt know much about the X3 other than it was new...

Looks like i will be waiting for the X3M and skip the X3 M40i...
Appreciate 2
Transfer5242.50
dskurth41.50
      11-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

I haven't seen it in person, but this generation doesn't feel like much has changed compared to the E83 and the F25. It's very evolutionary.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

At first glance I thought the differences from the F25 are mostly cosmetic. After a closer look and a bit of research, my opinion hasn't changed. It's all entertainment for me since I am not in the market for replacing my 2014 X3 35i. It's a money thing for me. Even if I had the spare cash laying around I'm not sure I would go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridenttube View Post
I haven't seen it in person, but this generation doesn't feel like much has changed compared to the E83 and the F25. It's very evolutionary.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I agree, the new versions of the HUD and nav along with dual exhaust is not enough for me to trade in my 2011 X3 35i M-Sport for a new X3 ///M40i.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
I finally got to get hands on the new 2018 X3 M40i and even a test drive at my local dealership. While overall it is better looking and more powerful than my 2011 X3 35i M-Sport, there are a few annoyances:

1. No ///M steering wheel. It may have a "sport" steering wheel, it is not an ///M wheel and is different than what is available on the X5M, M3, etc. Should be an option to get the real ///M wheel, but there is no option for that, despite all the ///M logos all over the place. I prefer the ///M wheel.

2. Rear badging looks cheap in person, swapping the X3 to the driver's side in a different font and a large ///M40i on the passengers side. Should have kept the X3 on the passenger's side in the same font as other X3's and put the ///M40i on the side like they have on other models.

3. Driver's seating position...something just felt off. I didnt measure anything, but it almost felt like the dash was higher in the new X3, throwing off the sight lines from the driver's seat.

Beyond that, there wasnt much that was significantly different, good or bad, to the F25 in my opinion.

I did notice the new X3's have an active grill, they open or close, but the salesperson I spoke with didnt know what triggered them to open or close other than if the engine was on. But then again, she didnt know much about the X3 other than it was new...

How about interior quality finish and materials. Is it really 100% better than the F25/26 especially the LCI?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
How about interior quality finish and materials. Is it really 100% better than the F25/26 especially the LCI?
I saw the 2018 X3 30i M Sport with Vernasca leather today at a local dealer (MSRP $56,570). There was no M40i in inventory. The X3 30i was a slight upgrade but definitely not 100% better than my 2016 X3 35i xLine in interior quality, finish and materials.

In my opinion:
-The leather in the 2018 was slightly nicer than that of my 2016 X3 xLine, but not a major upgrade.
-I did not find the seats to be any more comfortable or supportive in the 2018.
-The dash had a more modern look including a larger screen in the G01, but I prefer the screen placement in the dash of my F25.
-I prefer the view out the larger rear window in my F25 over the G01.
-I found the interior trim to be updated in the G01 with plenty of brightwork, but I prefer the more traditional (dull?) interior of my F25.

The MSRP of this turbocharged 2 liter 4 cylinder 2018 was essentially the same as my more powerful, turbocharged in-line 6 cylinder. The 2018 X3 M40i would be an upgrade in performance but the MSRP is almost 15% higher.

I am not motivated by the changes/upgrades to pony up >$20K for the 2018 X3. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I saw the 2018 X3 30i M Sport with Vernasca leather today at a local dealer (MSRP $56,570). There was no M40i in inventory. The X3 30i was a slight upgrade but definitely not 100% better than my 2016 X3 35i xLine in interior quality, finish and materials.

In my opinion:
-The leather in the 2018 was slightly nicer than that of my 2016 X3 xLine, but not a major upgrade.
-I did not find the seats to be any more comfortable or supportive in the 2018.
-The dash had a more modern look including a larger screen in the G01, but I prefer the screen placement in the dash of my F25.
-I prefer the view out the larger rear window in my F25 over the G01.
-I found the interior trim to be updated in the G01 with plenty of brightwork, but I prefer the more traditional (dull?) interior of my F25.

The MSRP of this turbocharged 2 liter 4 cylinder 2018 was essentially the same as my more powerful, turbocharged in-line 6 cylinder. The 2018 X3 M40i would be an upgrade in performance but the MSRP is almost 15% higher.

I am not motivated by the changes/upgrades to pony up >$20K for the 2018 X3. YMMV.
thanks for your feedback, my car is 3 years old still on the fence and not convinced its that much better for it looks almost the same as the F25. I am waiting for the X4 Xline reveal then I will make my call. The M40i engine is the only compelling reason currently.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #8
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
thanks for your feedback, my car is 3 years old still on the fence and not convinced its that much better for it looks almost the same as the F25. I am waiting for the X4 Xline reveal then I will make my call. The M40i engine is the only compelling reason currently.
The 2018 X3 M40i with its more powerful B58 engine, superior brakes and M Sports suspension is a clear performance upgrade over my 2016 X3 35i. It will be on my short list when I am in the market for a new vehicle.

Below is a link to an article on the B58 engine, which I found informative.
http://youwheel.com/home/2016/03/27/...linder-engine/

The B58 design is superior to the N55 in many respects. The B58 features greatly improved performance and throttle response. However, its design includes some features that may complicate long term maintenance. There are greater heat management challenges due to the closed deck design of the B58 including a mechanical coolant pump for the engine and a separate electrical coolant pump for the turbo. The oil filter and its radiator as well as the VANOS timing chain are now at the rear of the B58 engine, making certain components more difficult to access.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 11-21-2017 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Edited out because the thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-21-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
Cajun X3
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M Sport

I drove one the other day while my F25 was getting an oil change. There's a lot to like about the new one. I like the dash layout very much, but agree the steering wheel in my M Sport is much better. The buttons on the new steering wheel felt cheap.

The doors also felt thin and hollow compared to the doors on my F25, which feel solid. I fear there's been some cost-cutting going on at Spartanburg. However, the driving experience was quite good and the engine and brakes were great. But at $65k, the price is treading into X5 territory. Quite frankly, if I was going to spend that much on a BMW SAV, then I'd probably just step up to a nicely equipped X5 with the straight 6.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun X3 View Post

The doors also felt thin and hollow compared to the doors on my F25, which feel solid. I fear there's been some cost-cutting going on at Spartanburg. However, the driving experience was quite good and the engine and brakes were great. But at $65k, the price is treading into X5 territory. Quite frankly, if I was going to spend that much on a BMW SAV, then I'd probably just step up to a nicely equipped X5 with the straight 6.
I don't know about the old F25 design but the front doors, fenders and hood on the G01 are aluminum. I know when my neighbor got his 2012 535, he didn't like the sound of closing the front doors. Then he realized they were aluminum.
Aluminum doors when closed, will have a more hollow sound then steel doors. Just the nature of the beast.
As for the X5, I took a long test ride in one, but the interior just looks so old and outdated when compared to the new X3. Plus I didn't need the extra 1,000 lbs of weight to lug around. So the X3 was for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Answers inline below. I just dropped off my M40 for a battery issue and got into the previous gen X3 for a minute and personally there is no comparison for me. The quality of materials is night and day. Add in the improvements in electronics, driving dynamics, NVH advancements etc and this car is a slam dunk. I think BMW hit a home run with this one although I am sure the X3M will be next level.

Quote:

A. This is a well documented concern. We all prefer the M wheel, but just not available right now

A. Personally I am glad there are no side badges. They changed the look of the badges, at least on the M40, and they are now a brushed bronze color. I like the look of the new badges much better than the old chrome look

A. It took me a little while to get comfortable as well. I have found my happy place now, but I still feel there is too much distance between the window sill and arm rest.

A. This is a great feature if you are using car seats in the rear or more specifically booster seats with backs on them. It allows for the different angles that car seats and boosters put the kids in.

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Answers inline below. I just dropped off my M40 for a battery issue and got into the previous gen X3 for a minute and personally there is no comparison for me. The quality of materials is night and day. Add in the improvements in electronics, driving dynamics, NVH advancements etc and this car is a slam dunk. I think BMW hit a home run with this one although I am sure the X3M will be next level.
Battery issue??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Battery issue??
Just a point as mentioned in our delivery thread - so much time is spent initially with the electronics etc that battery drain is high, and the tech in this surely uses a lot. We ran our BMW trickle charger overnight for three days until we finally got a solid green.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #15
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Just a point as mentioned in our delivery thread - so much time is spent initially with the electronics etc that battery drain is high, and the tech in this surely uses a lot. We ran our BMW trickle charger overnight for three days until we finally got a solid green.
Since BMW uses AGM batteries, I'm surprised that standing voltage (after removing battery tender and letting stand awhile) is only around 12.4-12.5 volts. AGM's I had in other vehicles always were at 12.8 or so. I wonder why the BMW one is low?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #16
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

I was hoping that the G01 M40i was a "slam dunk," "home run," 100 yard TD return, hole-in-one, perfect game offering. No such luck. I'll stay in the bleachers.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #17
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Not entirely sure what you mean - AFAIK all the current models have the ///Mxx0i designation on the rear passenger side and as far as the only other X model that has the ///M40i model, the X4, the font that is used for the X4 M40i is the same font used for the X3 M40i. It is different from the non M40i versions. The only difference is the X4 badge being right next to the M40i badge on the rear passenger side whereas the X3 is on the rear driver side. In any case, I like that the X3 matches the M40i font.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:57 AM   #18
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Not entirely sure what you mean - AFAIK all the current models have the ///Mxx0i designation on the rear passenger side and as far as the only other X model that has the ///M40i model, the X4, the font that is used for the X4 M40i is the same font used for the X3 M40i. It is different from the non M40i versions. The only difference is the X4 badge being right next to the M40i badge on the rear passenger side whereas the X3 is on the rear driver side. In any case, I like that the X3 matches the M40i font.
Yes, all M Performance models use the same font as M2/M3/M4 etc. I prefer it as smaller and darker so less obvious.
Appreciate 1
JSY574.50
      11-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Battery issue??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Since BMW uses AGM batteries, I'm surprised that standing voltage (after removing battery tender and letting stand awhile) is only around 12.4-12.5 volts. AGM's I had in other vehicles always were at 12.8 or so. I wonder why the BMW one is low?
Was showing a "Replace Battery" the first time I sat in it and it never cleared. A few other cosmetic issues like a scratched key, scratched roof rail, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #20
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was showing a "Replace Battery" the first time I sat in it and it never cleared. A few other cosmetic issues like a scratched key, scratched roof rail, etc.
I understand. It's been over 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for my dealer to get an update on when a replacement rear spoiler reinforcement will be available.
Appreciate 1
Slalom506.50
      11-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #21
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I understand. It's been over 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for my dealer to get an update on when a replacement rear spoiler reinforcement will be available.
Luckily my dealer pulled a brand new 530i MSport off the lot for me to drive while it is in for service. Very nice luxury car, but definitely not a sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Luckily my dealer pulled a brand new 530i MSport off the lot for me to drive while it is in for service. Very nice luxury car, but definitely not a sports sedan.
The 5 series is now soft like a merc.
Appreciate 0