E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > comfort starting (with the start/stop button)

11-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
Grainqey
Rep
Drives: Hopefully E92 6 cyl diesel

comfort starting (with the start/stop button)

Hello,

Firstly, sorry if this is a stupid question but I googled it and all I got was the turning it off then turning it back on without the key being in...

Anyway, the other day I test drove a 330D, and pressed the start button briefly before removing my finger and it didn't start - had to be held pressed.

Is there any way to program it to make it crank automatically until it starts - obviously it would have to have a Max duration.

My W-reg Mercedes cl had comfort start on the key (yes, I do know I'm talking about a 75k+ car) but it's 17 years old... surely this function is programmable with a start button?

Thanks
Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:23 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainqey View Post
Hello,

Firstly, sorry if this is a stupid question but I googled it and all I got was the turning it off then turning it back on without the key being in...

Anyway, the other day I test drove a 330D, and pressed the start button briefly before removing my finger and it didn't start - had to be held pressed.

Is there any way to program it to make it crank automatically until it starts - obviously it would have to have a Max duration.

My W-reg Mercedes cl had comfort start on the key (yes, I do know I'm talking about a 75k+ car) but it's 17 years old... surely this function is programmable with a start button?

Thanks
Alex
Hi there,

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Comfort Access unless you're trying to start the car without the key in the slot? Even then, it sounds like odd behaviour.

I don't have comfort access (wouldn't want it either) but when I slot my key in and press the Start Button, the car just starts...... I do not have to hold the button in any way to keep cranking.

It's worth noting that my car is Manual and you need to have the clutch depressed when pressing the start button, I don't know if the behaviour is any different for Auto's though my mates E60 535d starts with just a button press.....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Grainqey
Rep

Thanks for the reply sirleeofroy,
I ended up digging the manual out on here in pdf. You have to press the brake in the auto's which I knew about from starting before test driving but I've only ever started one once so didn't know about the press without brake for ignition on kind of thing.

(it was just me as I'm used to something else) In my old cl you could literally turn the key and let go without pressing the brake etc - I'd describe turning the key and letting go and it starting it's self as comfort starting but in BMW language it's something different with there being a key and a start button

Thanks
Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Yes it can.
My 335i auto does exactly that. Foot on the brake and a single press of the button and the engine cranks until it starts.
It depends how confident you are at coding with NCS but there is an option in the CAS3,C09 module (on my car) that enables single press starting.
I have comfort access but this option is not related to that feature at all.
This is the same module that you have to tell the car whether it should respond to the clutch or brake pedal press (obvious choice with an auto!) and you can also programme in things like abort the start if the pedal is released during cranking etc.
These cars are really user configurable but like computers you need to know where to look for the function you want and then learn to code or find someone that will code it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Grainqey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Yes it can.
My 335i auto does exactly that. Foot on the brake and a single press of the button and the engine cranks until it starts.
It depends how confident you are at coding with NCS but there is an option in the CAS3,C09 module (on my car) that enables single press starting.
I have comfort access but this option is not related to that feature at all.
This is the same module that you have to tell the car whether it should respond to the clutch or brake pedal press (obvious choice with an auto!) and you can also programme in things like abort the start if the pedal is released during cranking etc.
These cars are really user configurable but like computers you need to know where to look for the function you want and then learn to code or find someone that will code it for you.
Thanks for that therealdb1,
I've done quite a lot of coding before but usually on vw's/audis and a little bit on mercedes so know exactly what you mean about knowing where to look.
I'll bare that in mind with the variety of options as I'd quite like to get it setup how I want it so knowing the above is a bonus
Thanks
Alex
Appreciate 0