THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing harness bar

11-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

harness bar

http://www.urotuning.com/Agency-Powe...ap-f22-500.htm

came across this...
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Saw this somewhere (can't remember)earlier this year. From what I gather, it's a legit bolt-in option for anyone with racing buckets who wants a legitimate, and "approved" harness mounting solution. Even if you wanted to run harnesses with stock seats, this would still be the safest and best way to mount one.
      11-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

You do have the option of using 4 point harness, quick fit pro, without a bar. Unless you are doing some real racing and it requires it. Although not technically approved by Schroth. There are a few guys at the HPDE's that i have seen that have fitted these in m235/M2 etc.. I believe they used the E82/E92 version. I talked to HMS Motorsports and they told me the same thing. It works, it fits, technically not approved.. Legal blah blah .
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
You do have the option of using 4 point harness, quick fit pro, without a bar. Unless you are doing some real racing and it requires it. Although not technically approved by Schroth. There are a few guys at the HPDE's that i have seen that have fitted these in m235/M2 etc.. I believe they used the E82/E92 version. I talked to HMS Motorsports and they told me the same thing. It works, it fits, technically not approved.. Legal blah blah .

These are not accepted at certain clubs, and events. NASA, BMWCCA have rules as to were the harness is bolted too, it has to have a certain angle to be accepted. For street, and looking cool, a quick fit setup is fine, but if you ever do need them during a crash scenario, you would be better off with the oem seat belts over these.

It can be debated over and over, but a harness bar such as this is a much better option, for safety.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Bar seems to have the right specs with the wall thickness, etc. Design seems to be sufficient to keep it from caving in during a crash. I wish I could see exactly how it mounts to the floor though.

The only issue is our OEM seats don't allow a good way to run the shoulder straps correctly and safely. The only option would be to run them through the head rest posts. Which might be OK to keep them in place, but would quickly become uncomfortable as it rubs your neck (not to mention the abrasions you would get from them in a bad crash). Still probably safer than the OEM belts though. I might be done with track days. After 15 years of tracking and seeing bad crashes and people pass away I think it's finally caught up to me mentally.

My only option is to get a dedicated track car with all the safety features that go along with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Bar seems to have the right specs with the wall thickness, etc. Design seems to be sufficient to keep it from caving in during a crash. I wish I could see exactly how it mounts to the floor though.

The only issue is our OEM seats don't allow a good way to run the shoulder straps correctly and safely. The only option would be to run them through the head rest posts. Which might be OK to keep them in place, but would quickly become uncomfortable as it rubs your neck (not to mention the abrasions you would get from them in a bad crash). Still probably safer than the OEM belts though. I might be done with track days. After 15 years of tracking and seeing bad crashes and people pass away I think it's finally caught up to me mentally.

My only option is to get a dedicated track car with all the safety features that go along with it.

Yea, that was my plan too, but i like the 2er too much and my times are hairs behind a prepped m2, 1:02.3 vs. 1:02.9. Are you selling yours already?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Yea, that was my plan too, but i like the 2er too much and my times are hairs behind a prepped m2, 1:02.3 vs. 1:02.9. Are you selling yours already?
Yeah, m2 and a lightly prepped m235 are right there with each other. Especially if you have LSD on the m235. I think I have about a full second in the car at Big Willow if I had LSD. It's more of an aero track than a technical track where LSD is more beneficial.

My car has been up for sale for a bit, but honestly I'm not really working hard to sell it. It's my most fun car to date other than my s2000.

I might do a truck and make a s2000 dedicated track car. Who knows though
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm a Range Rover truck/ BMW car type of dude so I feel ur pain.
I keep switching back and forth.

You want a truck when you have the car, but than you miss the performance of the car.

A fast SUV makes no sense to me however. Only option is to have one of each.
Appreciate 1