THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics M240i iDrive complete shutdown!!?

11-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
WillOs
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
M240i iDrive complete shutdown!!?

Hi Guys,

I pumped through a few areas on here looking for any similar issues.

Starting two days ago, I experienced several times my iDrive system screen flickering, followed by the speakers crackling and popping, resulting in the iDrive system completely shutting down including dash lights and info screen.

It seems to do it significantly more while my iphone 6s is paired via either USB or Bluetooth and I'm streaming music.

It will restart straight away and revert back to the same Classical Radio station I never listen to.

Does she need a software update? or is she giving up?

I have my first 15,000km service due in two weeks. Car is going in for some warranty work as well, moisture in the tail lights, dash trims around around climate and radio buttons coming loose and now this.

Any advice? Anyone else experience this?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Could be your iPhone causing the issue but that's just a preliminary guess.
Check this thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431797 as someone was experiencing iDrive shut downs when syncing with their iPhone 8. Their issue was resolved by turning off contact sync? It could be somewhere else in your phone that's corrupt causing it to crash. Easiest thing to do is to connect a phone that has all contents reset to factory default so that it doesn't have anything and see if it continues?

Good luck.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 1
WillOs7.00
      11-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
WillOs
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
Could be your iPhone causing the issue but that's just a preliminary guess.
Check this thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431797 as someone was experiencing iDrive shut downs when syncing with their iPhone 8. Their issue was resolved by turning off contact sync? It could be somewhere else in your phone that's corrupt causing it to crash. Easiest thing to do is to connect a phone that has all contents reset to factory default so that it doesn't have anything and see if it continues?

Good luck.
In saying that, the missus' phone is the same as mine, yet doesn't seem to cause a shutdown / failure... but she did complain yesterday of not being able to use voice activated features.
"Take me to - 'the most outrageously priced shoe store'" did not work hahaha
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:30 AM   #4
WillOs
Private
Rep

Garage List
Updated phone, now bluetooth pairs, but Navigation, Voice prompt, majority of the I-drive interface gone.....? Is there a way I can flash the software onboard? or Dealer only?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
You can do it yourself but you need;

-ISTA+ with the latest I-level (which is currently 4.08.13)
-OBDII cable with your choice of connection to the computer (Ethernet seems like the fastest and most stable connection method)
-A battery charger (preferably BMW approved)

After that it’s kinda easy, so I guess you can do it yourself however, if you are going to take your car in I would wait and just tell the dealer about the problem and not offer the possible solution as they might mark it as customer requested update and charge you for it. Also as far as I can remember, the BMW’s AIR system, showed there is a PuMA measure for this issue and it recommends for the cars software to be updated.
Appreciate 1
WillOs7.00
      11-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
WillOs
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
You can do it yourself but you need;

-ISTA+ with the latest I-level (which is currently 4.08.13)
-OBDII cable with your choice of connection to the computer (Ethernet seems like the fastest and most stable connection method)
-A battery charger (preferably BMW approved)

After that it’s kinda easy, so I guess you can do it yourself however, if you are going to take your car in I would wait and just tell the dealer about the problem and not offer the possible solution as they might mark it as customer requested update and charge you for it. Also as far as I can remember, the BMW’s AIR system, showed there is a PuMA measure for this issue and it recommends for the cars software to be updated.
She's booked in for first scheduled service on Thursday, I'll leave it for them to sort out, as I've already emailed a list of unfortunate small warranty issues.
Still love the thing though, puts the biggest smile on my face daily!

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0