THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bavsound

11-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Bavsound

I was reading the latest issue of The Absolute Sound, an audio magazine that frequently reviews components and speakers that cost as much as BMWs, when I came upon a one-page review of the stage one Bavsound speakers. The author owns a BMW three series with the base sound system, hated the sound, and swapped out the speakers except for the subs with Bavsound stage one speakers. He loved the difference the new speakers made. He described the purchase as arguably the best $600 he had ever spent on a stereo system.

I went with the stage one speakers, the new version of the Ghost subs, and the Bimmertech amp. It has made a night-and-day difference. The so-called premium HK system in my 240i somehow managed being muddy and shrill at the same time. The Bavsound system has very good resolution, and the instrument timbres sound correct, as do voices. It sounds so decent that I have resisted the strong temptation of playing with the DSP, just to make sure that I do not screw it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
mecodoug
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-speed

I put the Stage 1 speakers in my H-K equipped M240i last week, and am very happy with the improvement. Did you add the amp after the Stage 1 speakers and subs or at the same time? If after, any comments on the improvement difference between doing just the speakers vs. the the amp? I'm considering the Bimmertech amp but really not sure if the additional improvement is worth the cost. I'm less likely to do the subs, but I might.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
robman23
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

Mecodoug - Do the subs. I did the subs fist and noticed a massive difference. An easy job too.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Mecodoug,

I originally ordered the stage one and the amp; I would probably have ordered the subs as well, but they were not available (Bavsound was switching to the V.2 subs). As it happened, Bavsound sent the installer the wrong brackets for the speakers, and so I had the amp put in. Then in a week or two the correct speakers arrived, and I had them put in. When the v.2 subs became available, I ordered a pair and installed them myself.

The amp by itself made a considerable improvement to the HK speakers, even though it was tuned for the Bavsound speakers. The sound had better resolution overall, and the treble was not so shrill. I would extrapolate from that and guess that it would also result in a considerable improvement to the Bavsound speakers.

The stage one speakers also made a considerable improvement. Yet better resolution, and normal treble. The bass, however, was still muddy, and there seemed to be a hole in there. That is why I tried the new subs when they came out. The made a huge improvement to the bass. It was not just that the bass was louder--which it was--but that it was no longer muddy.

I thought that each of these improvements was well worth the cost, and the system did not sound really good to my ears until they were all in place.

If you want to hear if the improvements are worth it to you, you could always install the amp and the subs and hear what they sound like. Bavsound will let you return them within some period of time.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
fahizzo
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

My Bavsound stage 1 speakers for the hi-fi system gets here tomorrow, I am very excited for it. I also ordered the insulation and tool kit to do the installation myself. Hopefully I don't break any clips.

I'm wondering if that will be enough for me. I'm pretty disappointed that the car is not recognizing music files over USB through my galaxy S8, and the lack of auxiliary input.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
brandonee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX, 2016 228 M Sport

Where did you guys buy the Ghost Sub? Direct from Bavsound seems much higher than what I've read other members paying.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
//M235ixD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 //M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonee View Post
Where did you guys buy the Ghost Sub? Direct from Bavsound seems much higher than what I've read other members paying.
Yep direct from them. Black Friday sale for $150 off. Finally pull the trigger for sub and speakers. Waiting patiently for it to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M235ixD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonee View Post
Yep direct from them. Black Friday sale for $150 off. Finally pull the trigger for sub and speakers. Waiting patiently for it to arrive.
They also have a clearance site that you need to google. I don't believe there's a link on the main site. Same warranty and everything I think just open box kind of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Have been following this thread with interest and was wondering if anyone with a convertible has changed out the speakers and how happy they are with the results. A car is a poor sound environment but a convertible car even worse. Hate to spend a bunch of money and not get some significant improvements.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
mecodoug
Private
Rep

I can't speak to the convertible, but stage 1 is definitely a major improvement over the coupe H-K speakers. After listening for a couple of weeks I've decided to do the subs as well and they are on order.

Still undecided about the amp - I'm hoping the subs will be enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberlandjames View Post
Have been following this thread with interest and was wondering if anyone with a convertible has changed out the speakers and how happy they are with the results. A car is a poor sound environment but a convertible car even worse. Hate to spend a bunch of money and not get some significant improvements.
thanks
I have a vert - worth every penny.

Amp is more difficult swap due to access in trunk but speakers and ghost subs were easy and definitely worth the $.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
mecodoug
Private
Rep

Completed the subs yesterday - will give them a week or 2 to break in before passing judgement. Initially the sound is less muddy but not louder.

I wonder if there is anyone in central MA/CT/Western MA who went the Dr. Strangelove route who would like to compare?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecodoug View Post
Completed the subs yesterday - will give them a week or 2 to break in before passing judgement. Initially the sound is less muddy but not louder.

I wonder if there is anyone in central MA/CT/Western MA who went the Dr. Strangelove route who would like to compare?
That would be great if we could get a comparison of the two!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #14
mecodoug
Private
Rep

Now that my Bavsound components and the subs are fully broken in, I can report that the improvement is substantial. I had noticed that using bluetooth as a source, the volume was so low that I had to crank it to 90% or so. I knew that I should hard-wire my source for better quality anyway, but my iPhone 8 has a wireless charging cradle vent mount, and I did not want wires. So I took an old 32 GB iPod touch that was lying around and installed it via USB in the armrest. With USB as a source, the volume is much higher - I only need about 60% vs. 90% with the Bluetooth source. And of course much better quality with uncompressed or very high bit rate compression files.

At this point I believe the H-K amp is sufficient and I have no plans to upgrade it. Though more expensive than the setup from the Dr. Stranglove thread, I can highly recommend going with the full Bavsound speaker upgrades and a quality USB source.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecodoug View Post
Now that my Bavsound components and the subs are fully broken in, I can report that the improvement is substantial. I had noticed that using bluetooth as a source, the volume was so low that I had to crank it to 90% or so. I knew that I should hard-wire my source for better quality anyway, but my iPhone 8 has a wireless charging cradle vent mount, and I did not want wires. So I took an old 32 GB iPod touch that was lying around and installed it via USB in the armrest. With USB as a source, the volume is much higher - I only need about 60% vs. 90% with the Bluetooth source. And of course much better quality with uncompressed or very high bit rate compression files.

At this point I believe the H-K amp is sufficient and I have no plans to upgrade it. Though more expensive than the setup from the Dr. Stranglove thread, I can highly recommend going with the full Bavsound speaker upgrades and a quality USB source.
You'll be even happier if you spend $100 on a FiiO and put lossless files through Aux-in (if you have it).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
35mmSummicron
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You'll be even happier if you spend $100 on a FiiO and put lossless files through Aux-in (if you have it).
Both the internal 20GB Harddrive and old iPods via USB will read Apple Lossless audio!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #17
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmSummicron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Both the internal 20GB Harddrive and old iPods via USB will read Apple Lossless audio!
Yes but the DAC on the car leaves something to be desired. Any lossless though is better than not.
Appreciate 2