BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Moto GP Safety Car With M Performance Parts Revealed (Updated With Video)

10-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Lightbulb F90 M5 Moto GP Safety Car With M Performance Parts Revealed (Updated With Video)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
October 30, 2017

M5 MOTO GP SAFETY CAR (Press Release)

Course car in the next MotoGP season will be based on the new BMW M5.
Optimised driving dynamics: first Safety Car with innovative M xDrive technology.
Debut at the 2017 MotoGP season finale in Valencia.

Munich. Innovative high-performance cars for safety at the highest level of motorcycle racing: the BMW M GmbH has remained true to this principle throughout nearly 20 years of partnership with the MotoGP organizer Dorna Sports, and as the “Official Car of MotoGP”. That is especially true of the new BMW M5 MotoGP Safety Car, which the company from Munich is presenting as the next highlight in the Safety Car fleet. The new course car is based on the high-performance sedan BMW M5 (combined consumption: 10.5 l/100 km*; combined CO2 emissions: 241 g/km*), which was showcased to the global public for the first time in August. The new BMW M5 MotoGP Safety Car will debut at the MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Spain (10th to 12th November) and will speerhead the Safety Car fleet in the 2018 season.

“A MotoGP Safety Car faces enormous challenges. It is vital to lead a field of unique, high-performance race prototypes safely through all sorts of conditions,” said Frank van Meel, President of BMW M GmbH. “Innovative motorsport technology is an essential part of this. The new BMW M5 forms the perfect basis for a safety car, as its technical features ensure perfect handling, even at the limits of driving dynamics - on the road and on the racetrack. Development never stands still in MotoGP, which is always pushing its limits further and further. The same is true for the BMW M GmbH - and the new M5 MotoGP Safety Car is an outstanding example of our pursuit of innovation and maximum levels of performance.”

The features in question include the newly-developed M-specific all-wheel drive M xDrive, which is being used in the BMW M5 for the first time. With precise handling and perfect traction, this guarantees optimised driving dynamics in all manner of situations. The heart of the BMW M5, the 4.4-litre V8 engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology, has been completely overhauled by the M engineers. It represents another significant increase in performance compared to previous models, with 441 kW/600 HP and maximum torque of 750 Nm in the production M5. The new BMW M5 only needs 3.4 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h. Transmission is provided by the new eight-speed M Steptronic gearbox with Drivelogic. The chassis contains M-specific kinematics and elastokinematics elements that contribute to optimised driving dynamics. The weight also plays an important role in performance. This has been reduced further through features such as the lightweight carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) roof.

Painstaking manual work at the BMW M Manufaktur in Garching converted the high-performance base car into the BMW M5 MotoGP Safety Car, preparing it to appear as the course car in the world’s fastest motorcycle racing series. This process included the addition of numerous BMW M Performance Parts, many of which are available as retrofit parts for the BMW M5 production model. These emphasise the sporty appearance of the Safety Car and meet all the functional requirements for aerodynamics, cooling and lightweight construction. These include various carbon components such as side sills, rear diffusor, rear spoiler, front kidney grille, door mirror caps and air breather slats. The BMW M Performance sport exhaust system is made of titanium, with carbon exhaust tips, and has been designed specially for use on the racetrack.

The transformation of the BMW M5 to a MotoGP Safety Car was completed by the inclusion of special racing features and the necessary safety equipment. The front splitter is a prototype developed specifically for the BMW M5 MotoGP Safety Car. The bonnet latches are taken directly from racing. The bucket seats from the BMW M4 GTS guarantee a combination of comfort and maximum security for their occupants when being in action on the racetrack. The flat light bar on the roof uses modern LED technology. It is controlled via a specially-developed cockpit panel. Another important signalling system is provided by the flashing front lights, consisting of blue LED lamps in the front grills and flashing corona rings for the headlamps.

The design of the new BMW M5 MotoGP Safety Cars also makes a clear racing statement: it is inspired by the design of the new BMW M8 GTE race car, which will compete for BMW at the 24 Hours of Le Mans next year. Series developers from BMW M and the BMW Motorsport department worked hand in hand on development of the BMW M8 GTE. The design reflects this close cooperation.

The partnership between the BMW M GmbH and Dorna Sports dates back to 1999. The provision of the BMW M fleet is the core of the involvement as “Official Car of MotoGP”. There are also a host of other activities. The BMW M Award for the best MotoGP qualifier has been presented at the end of every season since 2003. The BMW M MotoGP Experience gives visitors the chance to experience the MotoGP at first hand. The BMW M MotoGP experts give them exclusive insights. On selected Grand Prix weekends, the BMW M GmbH presents its newest models and products in on-site actions.

BMW M5 F90 Moto GP Safety Car

10-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Thanks for sharing, looks good.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
kaakti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g31 540i on the way

Looks good but wheels still ugly.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
This might be the 1st year I'd go with an E63 over the M5. The lack of manual makes that even more palatable. Overall though, I'm finding it really hard to get over the huge noses (kidneys) on these new gen BMWs. The rear end on the F90 is also just odd from the droopy taillights to the weird double chin diffuser section. Love the interior of this car but the exterior is not sinking in as well as BMW exteriors generally do. The 7 series pulls the look off better to me, looking sleek while this looks a little bloated

Flame suit activated

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 1
Troy1star151.00
      10-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

not sure about the wheels but everything else looks great!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Looking AWESOME!
      10-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Very cool. Im diggin those seats and the lip! I'm guessing photo mode keeps the leds from strobing?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
seats are cool

front lip and splitters are ugly
cf grill is overkill
diffuser is too much, stock is plenty large

exhaust is a win for sure

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
Anthony3DHeli
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i and 328i

Looks great!! Thanks for sharing!!
      10-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/BMWUSA/vide...5771265711303/
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      10-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Sounds pretty good!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Great video and yeah it sounds surprisingly good!!!
So are we looking at the M performance exhaust with carbon tips or a total new different exhaust system?

Last edited by Jez_zza; 10-30-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

The only thing I really like about this is the fact that they moved the PARK button from the top to the middle of the shift lever lol. Hated accidentally slamming the car in park at a stoplight.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

The pace car looks like some 12yo would design. Reminds me of some kid I saw out in LI with a white 328 with a sh1tton of M stripes all over his car revving his car to get my attention.

This is the problem with BMW. In stock form the cars look too tame and needs to be modded to look aggressive. This however looks way over done except for the interior. One thing thats different about the competitors is that they look good without a bunch of mods imo.
JTO245246.50
dmboone254970.50
      10-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #16
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
The pace car looks like some 12yo would design. Reminds me of some kid I saw out in LI with a white 328 with a sh1tton of M stripes all over his car revving his car to get my attention.

This is the problem with BMW. In stock form the cars look too tame and needs to be modded to look aggressive. This however looks way over done except for the interior. One thing thats different about the competitors is that they look good without a bunch of mods imo.
Very well said. The M5 looks like a regular 5 series to me, nothing special. If I buy it, it will be modded from day one to make it look special or I'm not even gonna bother.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Something doesn't look right with this generation M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Absolutely correct
      10-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndukyh View Post
This might be the 1st year I'd go with an E63 over the M5. The lack of manual makes that even more palatable. Overall though, I'm finding it really hard to get over the huge noses (kidneys) on these new gen BMWs. The rear end on the F90 is also just odd from the droopy taillights to the weird double chin diffuser section. Love the interior of this car but the exterior is not sinking in as well as BMW exteriors generally do. The 7 series pulls the look off better to me, looking sleek while this looks a little bloated

Flame suit activated
I agree mostly. I do feel that the current G11 7-Series speaks to me more as a well designed aesthetically pleasing to the eye car.

On the new 5-Series and the F90 M5, the tail lights seem to bother me more than any other 5-Series from years past. They seem to just extend into the fender too much, almost like a Hyundai.

But yes, lack of a manual, Auto ZF8 only transmission, pretty much kills it for me. Even if they some how refine the shift speeds to match the DCT, it's still the fact that I'm driving with an AUTO transmission the same that comes in a 530i, that really bothers me. I'm not saying the ZF8 in the M5 will be bad, it's just not what I'm looking for. Not sure if the Wet Clutch in the new E63S will be any better (or worse) though.

In the end, some thing(s), do seem off with the F90 to me. There are other parts that work though and are pretty cool. From a design perspective, the two things that I hate the most are the iDrive screen on top of the dash and the headlights touching the grills. This generation of BMW's just doesn't speak to me. I'll be waiting to see what the new ///M8 Coupe looks like, although I know I won't get one with its $150,000+ price tag.

Appreciate 3
duky1313.00
infamousq310.00
      10-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
The car does look a lot better in Alpine White and with some of the M Performance Parts clearly shown. I am also interested to hear how much of a difference the new exhaust button in the F90 M5 makes. It almost sounds like an F10 M5 with an Eisenmann Sport Exhaust in this video. Notice I said "Sport" which is the tamer of the two Eisenmann exhausts.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #21
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

Which competitors have more aggressive look? I don’t see the AMGs any more aggressive than their non AMG counterparts. Compared to BMW they are about the same in terms “looking tame”.

Now I don’t really understand the motion behind making these look dramatically different. What are you trying to prove? It is, after all, just a 5 series. If you want something to look aggressive just get an i8.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
Which competitors have more aggressive look? I don’t see the AMGs any more aggressive than their non AMG counterparts. Compared to BMW they are about the same in terms “looking tame”.

Now I don’t really understand the motion behind making these look dramatically different. What are you trying to prove? It is, after all, just a 5 series. If you want something to look aggressive just get an i8.
E63S or RS7. To my eyes those cars do not need front lips, diffusers or wheels to look amazing. The M5 right off the bat needs all of that to look "right".

I'm a die hard BMW fan but for the first time I actually might get a Merc over BMW in this segment. There is just something about the front end design of this car not being cohesive with the rear and it looks too much like a ordinary 5 series. The front end looks like my X5M but squished together while the rear looks overly stretched out making it not resemble any other BMW.

For me if i'm dropping 30-40K more for an M5 over a 540/550 I want it to look the part. This generation doesn't really do it for me for some reason. Just personal preference.

Alan