THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics automatic map updates for MY2018

10-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
automatic map updates for MY2018

I thought the newer iDrive systems supported automatic map updates. Did they remove this feature for MY2018? My car shows that it's still on 2017-1.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuQutaita View Post
I thought the newer iDrive systems supported automatic map updates. Did they remove this feature for MY2018? My car shows that it's still on 2017-1.
From what I could see, it is only for one "selected region" and you have to choose it from the settings or on the Connecteddrive website or something.

The crap part is if you are back and forth between two regions, you get screwed.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
You have to "manually" update the base map info every year or two, but you get free regional updates supposedly 4 times a year via satellite. I recently updated the base map on my 2016 228i, and went through a private vendor rather than BMW. Cost $70 and about an hour's time all told, including downloading the update, unpacking it onto a USB drive, and then plugging the USB into the port in the center armrest and letting the car upload it.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I don't see any indication of automatic updates on my MY2018 M240i. The screen I have when I go into the nav options on the car looks like this, not this. The manual is ambiguous too, saying that nav updates might or might not be automatic.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

iDrive Map Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
You have to "manually" update the base map info every year or two, but you get free regional updates supposedly 4 times a year via satellite. I recently updated the base map on my 2016 228i, and went through a private vendor rather than BMW. Cost $70 and about an hour's time all told, including downloading the update, unpacking it onto a USB drive, and then plugging the USB into the port in the center armrest and letting the car upload it.
I wasn't aware that the map had to be manually updated since I know I have received a couple of updates over the air since my car was new. Would you mind sharing who/what company you obtained the base map update from? So basically, you download their update and then put it on a usb stick and insert it into the usb port in the center console compartment. How often do you need to update the base map?
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
I wasn't aware that the map had to be manually updated since I know I have received a couple of updates over the air since my car was new. Would you mind sharing who/what company you obtained the base map update from? So basically, you download their update and then put it on a usb stick and insert it into the usb port in the center console compartment. How often do you need to update the base map?
Thanks for the info!
I used Bimmer America (google them to find the website). The base maps probably should be updated once a year, although I think they're available 4 times a year. I presently have 2017-2, and they're now offering 2017-4. 2018-1 should be available before long. The OTA updates are only for your region, and their product updates all regions. You can either download the maps (7 files in .rar format) or order them already loaded on a USB drive.

Appreciate 1
      11-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep

Corrupt Files from Bimmer America

Quote:
I used Bimmer America (google them to find the website). The base maps probably should be updated once a year, although I think they're available 4 times a year. I presently have 2017-2, and they're now offering 2017-4. 2018-1 should be available before long. The OTA updates are only for your region, and their product updates all regions. You can either download the maps (7 files in .rar format) or order them already loaded on a USB drive.
I have purchased the base map update from Bimmer America. I discovered you will also need the WinRAR program to unpack the files; I tried two other RAR extractor programs and neither worked properly.
Also, WinRAR gave me errors for two of the seven parts of the download. Apparently one of the folders didn't contain the actual file when they uploaded. They fixed that by re-uploading the folder with the actual file in it. However, the checksum error when unpacking part 5 persists and I am waiting to see how/if they correct this. I mention all of this as this is not the quickest and easiest of processes even when everything goes as it should and if you happen to get errors from WinRAR when unpacking the files, I would not try to use them to update your nav system until you are sure that all the files are correct. I am trying to get this done before a long trip for Thanksgiving, but at this rate I doubt I will have time.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
I have purchased the base map update from Bimmer America. I discovered you will also need the WinRAR program to unpack the files; I tried two other RAR extractor programs and neither worked properly.
Also, WinRAR gave me errors for two of the seven parts of the download. Apparently one of the folders didn't contain the actual file when they uploaded. They fixed that by re-uploading the folder with the actual file in it. However, the checksum error when unpacking part 5 persists and I am waiting to see how/if they correct this. I mention all of this as this is not the quickest and easiest of processes even when everything goes as it should and if you happen to get errors from WinRAR when unpacking the files, I would not try to use them to update your nav system until you are sure that all the files are correct. I am trying to get this done before a long trip for Thanksgiving, but at this rate I doubt I will have time.
You can also choose to spend a few more bucks to get the files already extracted and loaded on a USB drive. Maybe they'll fed-ex one to you to make up for their mistakes? I didn't have this problem at all when I downloaded and extracted mine back in September. When you run WinRar on the 1st file, it should automatically do the other 6, and the contents of the folder it produces should be what goes on the USB drive. If it's not correct, it won't do the update, and your original data should still be there.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep

Map Updates - Issues

Quote:
You can also choose to spend a few more bucks to get the files already extracted and loaded on a USB drive. Maybe they'll fed-ex one to you to make up for their mistakes? I didn't have this problem at all when I downloaded and extracted mine back in September. When you run WinRar on the 1st file, it should automatically do the other 6, and the contents of the folder it produces should be what goes on the USB drive. If it's not correct, it won't do the update, and your original data should still be there.
For some reason, when I extract Part 1 with WinRAR, it then asks me where Part 2 is. The program will sometimes go from one part to the next one, but then will stop and ask where the third part is. It stops two or three times during the extraction process to ask for the next file (part). This seems to be the root of the problem and their tech guy can't figure out why mine is behaving this way. Also, he uploaded a new Part 5 and I am still getting a checksum error during the extraction of that part. He extracted it himself and he did not get any error. I have downloaded it three times and each time, I get the error.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep

Problem with Nav Map Updates

Quote:
For some reason, when I extract Part 1 with WinRAR, it then asks me where Part 2 is. The program will sometimes go from one part to the next one, but then will stop and ask where the third part is. It stops two or three times during the extraction process to ask for the next file (part). This seems to be the root of the problem and their tech guy can't figure out why mine is behaving this way. Also, he uploaded a new Part 5 and I am still getting a checksum error during the extraction of that part. He extracted it himself and he did not get any error. I have downloaded it three times and each time, I get the error.
He just figured out the problem. Somehow, they had uploaded files for TWO different nav systems, the Evo (which I have) and the Next system. The files should all be for the EVO system but there was a mixture that they sent me. Make sure you get the correct files for your nav system and make sure that all the files (7 parts) are for the same system.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
He just figured out the problem. Somehow, they had uploaded files for TWO different nav systems, the Evo (which I have) and the Next system. The files should all be for the EVO system but there was a mixture that they sent me. Make sure you get the correct files for your nav system and make sure that all the files (7 parts) are for the same system.
Wow...pretty clumsy of them not to check their work like that. When I downloaded mine a few months ago, it was all good - worked perfectly the first time around. I'll be sure to check closely next time - thanks for the heads-up!

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:05 AM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

There are 13 regions and it is based on ConnectedDrive Profile. You get OTA updates, but rollout has been slow for latest.

You can also update via USB. There is no need to generate FSC as they are preloaded. There are 4 updates a year. Latest for NA is 2017-4. File requires 32+ GB USB to install. You can either install in about 40 minutes or do during multiple trips.
Appreciate 0