THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics LCI / iDrive 6.0 bug?

10-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

LCI / iDrive 6.0 bug?

Had my M2 LCI for a couple of weeks now - love it!

Weird behavior though with iPod classic 160GB. When connected via USB, it eventually works just fine - plays tunes, shows album artwork, knows about playlists, etc.

However, when I first connect it, and after the car has been off long enough to "go to sleep", it seems to have trouble remembering where it was with the iPod. (if the car has been off for only a short time, all seems normal).

In particular, it will indicate "no device connected to USB interface" when I first start the car. If I ignore that false message (the iPod is awake, and shows the BMW logo on it's screen - indicating it is indeed connected), and turn on the Audio, it will play about 1/2 second of audio at the start of the track (the start of the last track played - but not where it left off somewhere in the middle of the track) it was playing when I shut the car down (or when I last turned off the audio) , and then about 2 seconds of silence. It repeats this stutter-behavior for about 5 or 6 stutters, and then stops stuttering and plays normally - albeit at the beginning of the track rather than where it left off. It seems like it's "too busy" right at first to have the cpu bandwidth to play the track - but after 20 seconds or so, it's ok.

My 2016 M235i did NOT have this problem - so it seems to be either an iDrive 6.0 or an LCI "new feature".

Anybody else experiencing this?

I am otherwise enthralled with the car, but this would not have passed QA in my shop.

Full disclosure, I run 160GB iPods (several - same behavior on all of them). Each has over 20K tracks - so there's probably quite a bit of data-loading going on when the iPod is first connected to the car.
Appreciate 1
modeboy37.50
      10-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Had my M2 LCI for a couple of weeks now - love it!

Weird behavior though with iPod classic 160GB. When connected via USB, it eventually works just fine - plays tunes, shows album artwork, knows about playlists, etc.

However, when I first connect it, and after the car has been off long enough to "go to sleep", it seems to have trouble remembering where it was with the iPod. (if the car has been off for only a short time, all seems normal).

In particular, it will indicate "no device connected to USB interface" when I first start the car. If I ignore that false message (the iPod is awake, and shows the BMW logo on it's screen - indicating it is indeed connected), and turn on the Audio, it will play about 1/2 second of audio at the start of the track (the start of the last track played - but not where it left off somewhere in the middle of the track) it was playing when I shut the car down (or when I last turned off the audio) , and then about 2 seconds of silence. It repeats this stutter-behavior for about 5 or 6 stutters, and then stops stuttering and plays normally - albeit at the beginning of the track rather than where it left off. It seems like it's "too busy" right at first to have the cpu bandwidth to play the track - but after 20 seconds or so, it's ok.

My 2016 M235i did NOT have this problem - so it seems to be either an iDrive 6.0 or an LCI "new feature".

Anybody else experiencing this?

I am otherwise enthralled with the car, but this would not have passed QA in my shop.

Full disclosure, I run 160GB iPods (several - same behavior on all of them). Each has over 20K tracks - so there's probably quite a bit of data-loading going on when the iPod is first connected to the car.
There are other posts about this regarding other Apple products:

Apple deprecates support for iDevices after they've been on the market for seven years. This doesn't simply mean that Apple doesn't support those devices anymore -- it means that third-party software designed to work with iDevices (like iDrive) likely won't support those iDevices, either.

I'm sorry to say that Apple hasn't supported any iDevice with the old-style 30-pin connector for quite a while now. Your iPod Classics aren't going to work with any newer third-party software. My recommendation is to upgrade to an iPod Touch (5G or newer).
Appreciate 0