M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW V3 Fitment

10-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

KW V3 Fitment

Hi guys,

Picking up my Lci M2 this weekend and currently have a modded m135i, same as the m235i but in hatch form.

I recently fitted KW V3s to my 1er and I'm wondering if they would physically fit on to my M2. Looking at both kits they physically look the same dimension wise?

I understand it's a different chassis but kerb weights are similar as well as the actually spring rates.

Maybe a shop could confirm if as above the dimensions are the same and it would be a viable option for me.

Thanks in advance for the help
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

DB

Congrats on m2 LCI - will be a wrench to move from yr extremely well fettled m135i no doubt !

I’ve made the move too so look forward reading your initial findings m135i KWv3 v m2 LCI once you’ve had plenty of time behind the wheel of yr new toy !!

BP
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
DB

Congrats on m2 LCI - will be a wrench to move from yr extremely well fettled m135i no doubt !

I’ve made the move too so look forward reading your initial findings m135i KWv3 v m2 LCI once you’ve had plenty of time behind the wheel of yr new toy !!

BP
Cheers Dave, it was a bit of an impulse move but I'm chuffed!

Both our M2's have big shoes to fill...luckily I stripped my 1er so lots of performance parts to fit to the M2 eventually.

How are you finding the M2 so far compared to your 1er?

Also our mutual friend shorty was telling me you know of a m235i that had m2 suspension fitted to it, any more info on it?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Yup, M235i/M240i peps have been fitting M2 M Performance coilover.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Cheers Dave, it was a bit of an impulse move but I'm chuffed!

Both our M2's have big shoes to fill...luckily I stripped my 1er so lots of performance parts to fit to the M2 eventually.

How are you finding the M2 so far compared to your 1er?

Also our mutual friend shorty was telling me you know of a m235i that had m2 suspension fitted to it, any more info on it?
Dale,

Chassis-wise - you wont be disappointed as straight from the crate - M2 is very good. Having parked next to an LCI the other day, the newer car ride height is higher than my 5k miles 66 plate car - easy fixes to sort that tho'. I tried an eibach sprung car and one with OEM MP coilovers during my search - cos the stock chassis is so good, eibachs were ho-hum IMHO whereas MPS was a step up. Good example of "you pays yr money and makes yr choices"

Damping and steering is a big step up as M2 ePAS doesn't have mlite std fit VSS ePAS.

Grunt-wise - its lacking even compared to my M135i so considering what yr M135i is capable of - no doubt you may find N55m shortcomings. JB4 isn't worthwhile on M2 IMHO so I'm torn between BM3 and stage 1 p/back as I don't intend to upgrade turbo or fuelling. Maybe HFC DP and either JB+ or Dinan Sport Tuner or go all in with Ray at Wrench Studios for BM3 install and stg 2 OTS map.....

As far as KW V3 swap from yr Mlite to M2 - TBH - speak to techy guys at KW UK - they're helpful bunch.

BP
      10-19-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 on order

Congrats!

I'm making the change too.
From a modified M135i (JB4, OS Giken lsd, Bilstein b16, M4 LCA, etc...)
I believe the M2 is a more grown up car. Chassis is so good. Even stock. But it's tempting to put on some Bilstein or KW suspension on it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Dale,

Chassis-wise - you wont be disappointed as straight from the crate - M2 is very good. Having parked next to an LCI the other day, the newer car ride height is higher than my 5k miles 66 plate car - easy fixes to sort that tho'. I tried an eibach sprung car and one with OEM MP coilovers during my search - cos the stock chassis is so good, eibachs were ho-hum IMHO whereas MPS was a step up. Good example of "you pays yr money and makes yr choices"

Damping and steering is a big step up as M2 ePAS doesn't have mlite std fit VSS ePAS.

Grunt-wise - its lacking even compared to my M135i so considering what yr M135i is capable of - no doubt you may find N55m shortcomings. JB4 isn't worthwhile on M2 IMHO so I'm torn between BM3 and stage 1 p/back as I don't intend to upgrade turbo or fuelling. Maybe HFC DP and either JB+ or Dinan Sport Tuner or go all in with Ray at Wrench Studios for BM3 install and stg 2 OTS map.....

As far as KW V3 swap from yr Mlite to M2 - TBH - speak to techy guys at KW UK - they're helpful bunch.

BP
Thanks for the thoughts Dave, definitely looking forward to having a much more competent chassis under me. Also the epas was always a nagging issue on the 1er for me even with the m4 LCA upgrade.

Grunt wise, I'm prepared for it to be lacking compared to my 1er for now. I'm interested to see if this latest software update on the M2 has actually resulted in more boost over the earlier software versions. I to ament in a rush to fit my jb4 and will most likely wait for mhd do be released this winter. Jb4 will most likely be used for supplementary fuelling if I decide to go that route again.

I've emailed kw uk and awaiting a response. I'll most likely offer the KW's up to the M2 since I can do the spanner work myself. Going off others experience in using M2 coilovers for m235 I don't foresee a fitment issue .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK.Alexx View Post
Congrats!

I'm making the change too.
From a modified M135i (JB4, OS Giken lsd, Bilstein b16, M4 LCA, etc...)
I believe the M2 is a more grown up car. Chassis is so good. Even stock. But it's tempting to put on some Bilstein or KW suspension on it
Cheers Alexx. I followed your 1ers progress on Instagram, great car! Things can always be improved hence me wanting to fit my V3s

Look forward to seeing your progression with the M2
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 03:27 AM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

DB

No doubt MHD will be a viable alternative to BM3 esp if MHD price point is less than BM3 to perhaps keep PTF a tad more honest as market place competition is a good thing IMHO.

Sourced a 2nd hand but BNIB Dinan Sport tuner on USA eBay to try out once I collect it from my pal when I’m across next on business.

Cheers

BP
Appreciate 0