Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > VM CSL reps and AZA-Z15's (help comparing)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

Question VM CSL reps and AZA-Z15's (help comparing)

So, I've been reading through many, many posts as I try to determine which wheels to get my new Black Sapphire 330i. For my eyes, the M3 replica's are the best looking wheels for the car (and most affordable, rather than OEM M3 wheels). I've compiled all my learned info here and just wanted to bounce it off those more experienced or knowledgable than me.

I'm going to buy 19" wheels for my new 330i w/Sport Suspension (no plans to lower it any further), and am trying to decide between the Velocity Motoring (VM) VB3's and the AZA Z15's.
I'd like the 19x8.5 in front and 19x9.5 rear for the staggered look.

I understand the Velocity Motoring wheels are ~13 lbs. heavier, but can accept the BMW Roundel centercap. The Z15's are lighter, and you have to be creative in fitting the BMW Roundel centercap. Seems to not be such a big deal to fit roundels to the Z15's (from Diesel's post).

VM = 27.5 lbs. front / 29 lbs. rear
Z15's = 24.75 lbs. front / 25.25 lbs. rear

I learned that the VM wheels have a 40mm front offset and a 22mm rear offset (M3) that fits the e90 well. The Z15 wheels are a standard 40mm offset all around and many folks use a 12-15mm spacer in the rear to compensate. The spacer addition would add ~$100+ to the overall purchase price. Don't forget to order the extended bolts.

Also, the most recommended tire size for 8.5's front and 9.5's rear is 235/35 and 265/30. Although some have suggested 245/35's front and 275/30's rear to add a little rubber outisde the rim lip. Curious what peoples thoughts are on this.

It seems like the VM VB3 CSL reps are a little more $$ from Creative Auto Works than the AZA Z15's from WheelMax.

Are there any other differences that you would identify between these? What decision data points am I missing?

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Real tough call!

I like the weights of the z15, but don't like the offsets.
I like the offsets of the VM, but the lbs....

Seems like modification is required on both sets to make the Roundel logo fit, no difference there that I know of.

As far as tires, you either really care about maintaining OD of the stock setup, or your not too concerned. There are numerious benefits when you don't increase the OD from stock. Upgrading to 19's, your already adding extra rolling resistance compared to stock. By going to larger tires, your again increasing rolling resistance. If you do care, 235 and 265 is the closest to the stock OD. Fatter tires are not, it's only 10mm here that we are talking, but it is what it is!

So which one are you going to get?

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep

I'm leaning towards the AZA-Z15's because they're lighter. I think I can compensate for the Z15's 40mm offset in the rears with a 15mm spacer, netting me a 25mm offset - which is only 3mm different than the VM VB3's.

It seems that all things considered, the AZA-Z15's win, due to less weight (~10% less weight).

Please, correct me if I'm wrong on my numbers. Also, the wheels look exactly the same (or close enough for me anyway).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman811
I'm leaning towards the AZA-Z15's because they're lighter. I think I can compensate for the Z15's 40mm offset in the rears with a 15mm spacer, netting me a 25mm offset - which is only 3mm different than the VM VB3's.

It seems that all things considered, the AZA-Z15's win, due to less weight (~10% less weight).

Please, correct me if I'm wrong on my numbers. Also, the wheels look exactly the same (or close enough for me anyway).
Sounds like we have a winner!!!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
I feel i am having the same trouble as you but i am looking into maybe getting the ASA. But thats besides the point. What you have to do before anything is find out what the "casting process" is. Do they gravity cast, Low Pressure Cast, High Pressure cast. These factors are very important. Because gravity is the cheapest form which most wheel companies use. This also comes with increased weight. Low and High Pressure are more towards OEM standard. Then you have forged wheels and other casting processes like flow-forming what BBS uses. These get expensive very quick. Just some information you might want to know.

Also I would go with 235 front and 275 rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
thedean786
A Herald of Doom
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Fancy Car

Quote:

You should talk to Diesel he got 10mm spacers (H&R) and recommended that the max you should go is 12 cause anything more will cause rubbing...
      03-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

A.Z.A. is from Wheelmax. I believe its their house brand because no one else seems to sell it. It is made in China or Taiwan.

Carlitosz: ASA, is a completely different wheel company. For what its worth, it is licensed by BBS, and made in Korea. ASA is sold at a number of large retailers. Google ASA wheels and see the results. ASA uses low pressure casting. Go here to see how they make the wheels: http://www.asaalloywheel.com/asawhee.../frm_index.htm

Regarding Wheelmax, do a search on the company. There are A LOT of complaints on them. I'm not saying their AZA is a bad product, but I would definitely proceed with caution regarding their weights. I don't buy it that is 25 pounds, no way. Velocity Motoring has a better reputation then AZA, but cost more. In all probability, they are comparable in terms of weight and quality. For this reason, if I had to chose a CSL style, I'd personally save the money (caps aren't a big deal if u do the mod), and go for AZA.

Just don't believe the weights until someone actually weighs them in.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
Oh ok you where refering to the AZA I thought you ment the ASA. You have to worry about all this if you live in NYC. If you live here you have to worry about rim eaters (pot holes). I've seen forged wheels turn to crap real fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #9
VelocityMotoring
Registered
Rep
Drives: CSL's

Quote:
I understand the Velocity Motoring wheels are ~13 lbs. heavier, but can accept the BMW Roundel centercap. The Z15's are lighter, and you have to be creative in fitting the BMW Roundel centercap. Seems to not be such a big deal to fit roundels to the Z15's (from Diesel's post).

VM = 27.5 lbs. front / 29 lbs. rear
Z15's = 24.75 lbs. front / 25.25 lbs. rear

I learned that the VM wheels have a 40mm front offset and a 22mm rear offset (M3) that fits the e90 well. The Z15 wheels are a standard 40mm offset all around and many folks use a 12-15mm spacer in the rear to compensate. The spacer addition would add ~$100+ to the overall purchase price. Don't forget to order the extended bolts.

It seems like the VM VB3 CSL reps are a little more $$ from Creative Auto Works than the AZA Z15's from WheelMax.
*** NON COMMERCIAL POST ***

Hi, our VB3 CSL wheels aren't that heavy. They weigh about the same as the Z15. They are single piece gravity cast wheels. Irregardless of the way it is cast, they all go thru the same quality testing before shipping. My .02, if you use the exact same tooling for spun cast, you'll get about the same volume of aluminum alloy in the wheel as gravity cast. It is theoretically possible to modify the tooling to reduce the volume of aluminum alloy, but the cost to benefit isn't there for us nor the customers. OE's have the luxury of doing so because producing 100k wheels is probably cheaper than making 1k wheels at gravity cast. Its just a matter of economies to scale.

On top of that, you'll be able to have a BMW roundel on the centercap.

I haven't seen the other guy's wheels in person, but I think forum members are more qualified to give their .02 on quality than the manufacturer themselves. But I believe the quality speaks for itself, knowing that it is hard to compare apples with apples on the internet, especially with "photogenic" pictures.

As far as offsets go, the E90 can use anything between 25-40 offset. I'm not sure why, but you can literally stick your foot between the stock wheel and fenderwell But yeah, hubcentric spacers on average are around $60ea, bolts $3ea, + shipping.

Any interest in our wheels please contact any of our retailers for pricing and availability.

Thanks!

Peter
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
PittWm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i SP pack, Prem pack, CW

Thanks Peter for your inputs, I might have to get a set of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Just what I thought. Same/similar wheels. AZA's are cheaper then. You guys make the call. How important is roundel fitment, when you can mod it yourself. I believe Velocity Motoring guys, I don't believe Wheelmax guys with regards to weights. Thanks for the info Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityMotoring
*** NON COMMERCIAL POST ***

Hi, our VB3 CSL wheels aren't that heavy. They weigh about the same as the Z15. They are single piece gravity cast wheels. Irregardless of the way it is cast, they all go thru the same quality testing before shipping. My .02, if you use the exact same tooling for spun cast, you'll get about the same volume of aluminum alloy in the wheel as gravity cast. It is theoretically possible to modify the tooling to reduce the volume of aluminum alloy, but the cost to benefit isn't there for us nor the customers. OE's have the luxury of doing so because producing 100k wheels is probably cheaper than making 1k wheels at gravity cast. Its just a matter of economies to scale.

On top of that, you'll be able to have a BMW roundel on the centercap.

I haven't seen the other guy's wheels in person, but I think forum members are more qualified to give their .02 on quality than the manufacturer themselves. But I believe the quality speaks for itself, knowing that it is hard to compare apples with apples on the internet, especially with "photogenic" pictures.

As far as offsets go, the E90 can use anything between 25-40 offset. I'm not sure why, but you can literally stick your foot between the stock wheel and fenderwell But yeah, hubcentric spacers on average are around $60ea, bolts $3ea, + shipping.

Any interest in our wheels please contact any of our retailers for pricing and availability.

Thanks!

Peter
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep

FYI - I need to correct my earlier weights. For the Velocity VB3 rims in 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear, they are 24.75 lbs and 25.25 lbs respectively.

While the BMW stock 162's at 18x8.0 and 18x8.5 are slighly lighter rims, the combination of adding the heavier RFT rubber makes the final wheel/tire combo about 6 lbs heavier (per wheel) than the VB3 19's w/Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Bottom line: "Upgrading" to Veloctity VB3's in 19" from Stock 162 18's will actually be a lighter total wheel package - by about 10%. That's a good news story with facts that backup everyone's post about solid and happy performance from the wheels.

(FYI, I don't know anything about the AZA Z15's to confirm - Wheelmax has been completely radio silent after repeated emails. Admittedly, I haven't picked up the phone to call - they've just not replied to any of my emails asking for information to purchase. strange.)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Couple points. You may be able to use the same mold for gravity or spin casting but your final material properties will be different. The weight will likely be very similar though. The benefits are if you can actually use a wheel designed that takes advantage of the extra strength to have a stronger wheel and/or a lighter wheel. The process used to create the wheels is definitely important and not something to overlook. The VM rep's explaination seems like a cost argument when I think a lot of us are thinking quality.

It sounds like you'll be saving a bit of unsprung weight but gaining some extra rotational mass on each wheel so it sounds like a wash to me between stock and the new rims.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0